New rings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: New rings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Thompson Graham NC on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 07:58 am:

I put new valves,oil dips and accessory inside
Oil line in my 24. It is oiling well it is also
Pumping oil past the rings. I want to put in some new rings. I measure about .006 wear so I think I will stick with the iron pistons. Any ring advice
Such as modern oil rings would be helpful. Philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 12:16 pm:

Hone the cylinders and install new rings such as Hastings brand. It will be better than what it is now. Others will have different opinions. It depends on how much you want to spend on a refresh or a rebuild.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 12:33 pm:

When I went through my engine budget was an issue. I did as John suggests. I honed the cylinders and installed new rings, keeping the iron pistons. I don't drive it a lot, but it's been running fine for nearly 15 years now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 12:34 pm:

John hit it on the nose. It will be better for sure.

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 12:34 pm:

P.S.
Running fine includes not burning any oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 12:55 pm:

I double stacked the top rings when I redid the 25 with cast iron pistons. Used two 1/8" rings. Staggered the gaps. Honed the cylinders, she has great compression now. :-) Got the idea from an old ad for rings with beveled lap joint. Sometimes we work with what we have on hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 01:03 pm:

Philip

it isn't just about putting on new rings...it is about putting on the correct rings.

Let's assume for calculation's sake the bore WAS 3.750" when new...that is a circumference of 11.781".

Now, let's assume your measurement is correct in that the bore is .006" oversize, or 3.756". That's not much is it? Well, the bore's circumference is now 11.800", which is a whopping .019" increase in the gap of the rings!

You want to buy .020" Oversize rings and file the gap (top, middle, bottom) to the correct gaps. I will let you figure that out yourself...just be sure to get gaps for Cast Iron pistons and not Aluminum pistons. There is a difference.

Now there are those who will say "stick 'em in a vice and file away"! Not to disparage anyone, that's fine...for them. Unless you are unusually handy with a file, you will want to consider something like this and do a clean, precise job of it:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Precision-Piston-Ring-End-Gap-Filer-Tool ,2915.html?sku=91089408&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOG LE&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvKzhBRC1ARIsANEXdgxYb4qm6ATxhFcSezsRg17skkyU7pgUYst1Q61N5gQ1Aag kpwwt-TYaApOIEALw_wcB

I apprenticed as a watch/clockmaker as a young man, and ran a clock shop for 6 years before turning to industry...I've filed entire watch and clock gears by hand with a jeweler's saw and files, to replicate parts for 1700-1800 time pieces...I know files. And yet, I still bought this tool to do my own rings

WFIW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 01:10 pm:

Cool! ^

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 01:14 pm:

That's a helluva tool right there...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 01:23 pm:

I will add that my one and only purchase from Speedway Motors was this tool. It came with a warped grinding disk. They solicited a product review and I replied that I could not provide a positive review, and why I could not. I was contacted within hours by a sales supervisor who insisted that they would make good on it and sent another replacement grind disk. This, even after I said I could make the original disk work, albeit slowly, and since it was on the low end of the line price wise, perhaps I'd simply go forward, but without a review. He would have none of it, and sent a new replacement disk. It worked superbly. Given the opportunity I would not hesitate for a moment to do business with them again.

Oh, and I gave it a good review.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 01:37 pm:

I've been utilizing that same grinder for over 20 years - on my third or fourth wheel !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration