Mph

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Mph
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold Chambers on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 02:10 pm:

What is the best mph does most t owners use.thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark A Strange on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 02:12 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul G in Central Florida - #27359 on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 03:04 pm:

TT - 18.

Flat out, down hill - with a tail wind - 22.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 03:12 pm:

35-40 generally, with a Ruckstell and 3:1 gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 03:13 pm:

Harold- personally, I like to judge my speed by the roads I travel. And, I only travel on roads that restrict my safe driving speed to 27-33 mph. Sometimes, roads require faster speeds, and in those cases I am lucky enough to live/drive/tour in areas that allow me to avoid those roads.

Sometimes those faster roads are un-avoidable, and in those cases, I hate every mile of it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 03:24 pm:

Usually just keep up with traffic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 03:28 pm:

Paul G.,

Only a TT guy counts on a tail wind! Hahaha. :-)

My TT, with low speed rear end gears and a 3 speed Muncie, down hill with a tail wind, about 33 MPH. Any faster and I fear I'd put a piston or two into orbit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 03:31 pm:

My comfort zone is 45

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 03:33 pm:

Depends partly on its condition. With correct alignment and suspension and steering in excellent condition, you can cruise at 45. Some go even faster. BUT here's the part where some folks will controverse with me. A Model T was designed for the roads of 1908. It wasn't intended to go that fast. It will last a lot longer at 35-40, and even longer at 30-35.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 03:39 pm:

Dixie the '27 touring likes this as normal road cruise speed, and the first mate insists on this rate too :-(

You can read the highest speed above in little numerals...that rate is spousal un-acceptable :-)

iPhone app, as the T doesn't have a speedo, but the on-board speed checker does have her phone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 03:48 pm:

33 mph seems perfect for my Ts.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble - New Hamshire on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 03:49 pm:

35to40 M.P.H.with standard gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 03:53 pm:

Tail wind doesn't help the touring much, but the top down does...not as much as a downgrade !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 03:59 pm:

35 feels so good I usually drive about 30.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Loftfield on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 04:55 pm:

I can go 45 with a freshly rebuilt engine and everything else in good nick. However, when going over 30-35 the first thing should be to ask "why?". If you need to go faster then buy a Model A, or a Ferrari.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 05:09 pm:

Thomas, anyone can go 45mph in a Model A, there's no challenge though.

I bet 45 is easier in an A than in a Ferrari !! Muhaha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 06:21 pm:

30 to 40 depending on road/traffic conditions. 14 touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 06:28 pm:

Speed for the average mostly stock T is around 30-35 mph. Adding a higher compression head, Ruxtell, straight thru carb might get you an average of 40 mph but that’s about the limit if you want your mostly stock T to last for a while. Notice I said mostly stock T.
Like Robert G says, T’s feel best around 30. I know mine do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 06:40 pm:

Harold asked for the “best mph” not fastest. The faster you go, the quicker the T driving experience will end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark A Strange on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 06:42 pm:

Great perspective George! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 06:52 pm:

I'm with Fast Frank !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 06:56 pm:

Not sure why folks are obsessed with speed in a Model T. I drive because I enjoy the experience and the faster I go the sooner my fun is over. I like 25, even on good roads. Enjoy the car and smell the roses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 07:10 pm:

3.25:1 gears - one lack-of-vibration sweet spot at 32, and one at 41. Keep in mind that a Model T has all the aerodynamics of a brick. Anything 40+ and a lot of the power is used just pushing air out of the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 07:13 pm:

John - I whole-heartedly agree! I can't understand either, why people want to drive a model T any faster than it was designed for. (....of course, a speedster is a different matter entirely,....) I have 4 stock Model T's, and every one of them feels about the same to me, like it could "chug along" forever at a speed of something between 25 and 30 mph. Of course, my Model T's will go considerably faster, but to me, they just don't feel to me like they like it! In fact, Royce Peterson's Dad, who I'm pretty sure knew much more about Model T Fords than most people, said that if you drove a Model T at a speed of 28 mph, it would last your lifetime as well as your sons' and grandsons' lifetimes!

If I really wanted to drive an old Ford consistently at speeds like 55-60mph, I have something like a '36 Ford three-window coupe with a stock flathead V8 and a 2-speed Columbia rear end in it!

I think most of the guys in my club think I'm "nuts", but I honestly believe that if the truth were known, Henry and his engineers felt that most Model T's would typically be driven from the farm, into town, on gravel roads at no more than 25 or 30 mph, and I think that's exactly how most of them were driven!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 07:22 pm:

Depends what gear (3 speed Warford stock rear end) I am in and that can be anywhere from 30/35 to over 50 but I like to stay under 40 if I can. Sometimes just cant do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 07:41 pm:

I have stock T's also - the Racer is a close to flying you can get without taking off !

My stock T's "like" 30 to 40 m.p.h.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joss sanderson on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 07:52 pm:

Best MPH? Not sure what that means. The fastest? For me that was 62mph in my 12 on a brand new closed road with radar. How fast I drive my T? Hmm. Completely depends on weather, road condition, traffic. Anywhere from 18 to 42. Also very different in my 26 with low pressure tires. So many variables. Gear ratio, aux tranny, OHV, balancing beads in tires, speedster vs 4dr sedan.
Only answer that makes sense to me is every T is different and has a speed where it feels correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 07:57 pm:

I'm with Frank and Steve, In the race car I don't have to worry so much about what lane I'm in. :-)
With the roadster and touring car 30-40

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul G in Central Florida - #27359 on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 07:58 pm:

Henry -

The problem when the tail wind ‘kicks in’ is that all road signs begin to vibrate violently - oh wait, maybe I need to check into those balancing beads !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 08:18 am:

30-35 mph. It will go faster, but I don't drive the Model T to make the trip shorter. I drive it to make the trip more enjoyable. I enjoy the experience of driving an old car. If I go faster that shortens the trip. Why would I want to do that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 09:22 am:

35-40

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 09:49 am:

I got up to 50 mph in my speedster just to see what it would do and I can tell you it's a little scary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 09:54 am:

The "sweet spot" on my '27 is 34 mph checked with a gps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 10:35 am:

Smooth Modern roads are nice, but above 35 SaraJane makes noises I don't like

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 10:41 am:

What Mike said, though I did it in my 1915 runabout, not a speedster.

"I got up to 50 mph in my speedster just to see what it would do and I can tell you it's a little scary."

If you want to go fast get a Packard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 10:51 am:

"If you want to go fast get a Packard."

Only problem with that Steve...the moolah goes faster with Packards too !!

(Message edited by Ruxstel24 on January 03, 2019)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 10:57 am:

I like about 20 mph or less in my neighborhood. BUT I did ride in a fellow's roadster a few years ago, completely bone stock at 58 MPH. I thought I was going to die and couldn't wait to get out. I've been 140 MPH on the autobahn's in Germany and that T Ride still felt faster - and more dangerous!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 12:00 pm:

It has to be asked. Is it more embarrassing to streak your tidy whites in a Fiat Abarth at 130mph or to streak them in a Mustang at 157 mph.

Or develop the streak in a Model T at 40 mph compared to a Packard Standard at 80 mph?

Just asking for a friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 02:26 pm:

I don't have the speedometer in yet but I can stay with the other T's in a tour, which means that we all get to see the country we tour in better than those doing faster than a speeding bullet! I love our T and I want to drive it as long as I can and enjoy every minute of the drive, even the occasional down time. The most asked question is "how fast can we go?" but very few if any have asked how fast can we stop!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 02:53 pm:

"How fast can we stop"?

About as fast as a freight train going 60mph with 20 full cars of iron ore !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 03:52 pm:

Dave a one thousand pound Speedster with Rocky Mountain brakes can stop rather quickly. We Speedster boys don't do silly things in traffic and with a Layne Warford giving three to one gearing we loaf along at 65. But we don't tailgate. There are lot lot of old drivers and a lot of bold drivers but there aren't many old bold drivers. Mary and I usually cruise along between 45 to 50 while getting 25 miles to the gallon of regular unleaded. We have high compression a very nasty cam, a very well built Stromberg 97 carburetor and a Bosch ignition distrbutor with a Pertronix in it. It was originally built for drag racing and had a two row radiator in it for lightness but it overheated on trips and tours so I had a eight row radiator built for it and that fixed the overheating. You can do that with a speedster because your only judge is the checkered flag.

The quarter mile time chart below is from number 22 by the original builder Ed Bebeck (may God rest his sole) This was way before I purchased the car from his wife Barbara in 1998 and later added the Layne Warford when they became available and purchased a set of Buffalo wire wheels which changed the gear ratio by their larger diameter. The quarter mile time is rather good for a Model T. I added some tricks to it with the help of Bill Robinson, Larry Blaire, and myself in my secret laboratory late at night.

speed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 06:57 pm:

I agree with those of you who drive at an enjoyable speed.

One thing I will never understand is, when on a T tour and we're driving down these beautiful back country roads on a nice, sunny day, why so many participants race to get to the next stop.

Judi and I really enjoy just the experience of leisurely driving these back roads without the hustle and jostling of modern traffic.

I like to pretend we're "back in the day" driving past cornfields, cow pastures, barns and, old houses musing that, this is what it looked like in 1914 -- it was in color, not black and white.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 07:02 pm:

Marty

your question: "when on a T tour...why so many participants race to get to the next stop"

the answer: Food

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 07:05 pm:

My 21 likes 30-35 it's smooth and runs cool.
Push it to 40 and it heats up,wiggles and my hat blows off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 07:15 pm:

My sweet-spot seems to be 32 mph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 07:38 pm:

I hate it when my hat blows off, Fred ! Haha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 10:53 pm:

The speed I'm most comfortable with in the conditions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 10:58 pm:

I like 35 or so. Just remember you still have 30 mph brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 11:48 pm:

I’ve had mine to 39 on the GPS app when wide open, maybe a bit faster when I didn’t have the app on. It seems the car’s maximum happy speed” is getting slower as it had been complaining more and more to me until I garaged it for the winter. Last drive anything over the mid-twenties caused all sorts of awful rattles and knocks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Friday, January 04, 2019 - 01:48 am:

The 18 that lives here likes about 25. Above that he knocks like a door. Perfect. I like it that way and Maw does too!
The 24 likes it a bit slower.
Ya got time... To look, smell and stop.
I like to leave marks in the gravel. Skiddd! And Then Rippin' off and spinnin' out to a new slow pace.
No one will get the pleasure of a HAND throttle other than us. Sweet!
Oh wait, old tractors are hand throttle aren't they, with even slower joys.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, January 04, 2019 - 05:36 pm:

Scott,

Oh, yeah!!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration