Brass case 60MPH with 4-digit odometer plus 3-digit trip odometer. Similar in style to the Model 24 and 26. $25 extra cost.
Dial pointer 60MPH. 5-digit odometer using small disk dials seen through holes across the face above the speed pointer. All-brass case, mounted on the firewall. Almost identical to the Model 26 except that it did not have the trip odometer.Jones Model 20
50MPH brass case with 4-digit Veeder odometer and 3-digit Veeder trip odometer mounted below the main body of the unit.Jones Model 21
Similar to the Model 20 but 60MPH.National
5 to 60 MPH brass case. Dial scale almost 360 degrees, beginning and ending near the top of the face. Veeder 4-digit and 3-digit trip odometers on the right side of the main body. $30 extra. Another model with a 5 to 50 mph face was $25.
Dial pointer 60 MPH. 5-digit odometer using small disk dials seen through holes across the face above the speed pointer. 3-digit trip odometer of similar construction was below the speed pointer. All-brass case, mounted on the firewall.
Similar case but odometer how had 5 digits on the left upper half of the face, and a 3-digit trip odometer on the right, with drum-type dials seen through rectangular holes in the face.
Drum type 60 MPH. 5-digit odometer above the speed drum. 3-digit trip odometer to the right of the regular odometer, with the reset knob on the right side of the case. Black case with brass bezel. The case was about one-half inch shallower that the 1914 model 100. There were apparently two versions of this speedometer; one with the manufacturer shown as Stewart and Clark, and the other as Stewart-Warner.
Drum type 60 MPH. Black case with brass bezel. Similar to the 1913 type but had a deeper case. 5-digit odometer with a 3-digit trip odometer below the speed drum. The trip reset is now a knurled shaft on the right instead of the knob. Mounted on the firewall.
Dial pointer 60 MPH type. 5-digit odometer plus 3-digit trip odometer below the needle, with reset button on the right side of the case.Standard
Dial pointer 50 MPH. 5-digit odometer just below the speedometer needle. The trip odometer was a disk type dial appearing through an opening in the face at the bottom.Sears Cross
Dial pointer 60 MPH with scale of about 270 degrees or arc. 4-digit odometer at left of the face, with a 3-digit trip odometer at the right.Jones
Dial pointer, 50 MPH, with scale only about 90 degrees or arc. 5-digit odometer with numbers on small disks that appeared through holes in the face. The 3-digit trip odometer was also of the disk type and was just below the regular odometer.Stewart Model 102
Drum type 60 MPH. 5-digit odometer above the drum with a 3-digit trip odometer on the right.
Similar to the Model 100 but all-black finish. 5-digit odometer with 3-digit trip odometer to the right, just above the drum speedometer indicator. Reset button was on the side of the case above the centerline (in line with the odometer drums). Mounted on the firewall or on a Stewart-supplied instrument panel. Interestingly, Stewart speedometers were dated with a letter stamped in the face. 1915 was G, 1916 was H, 1917 was J, 1918 was K, etc. (Apparently no I model.)Johns Manville 127FS
Dial type 60 MPH with dial of a little more than 180 degrees arc. 4 or 5-digit odometer with 3-digit trip odometer below the needle.Standard
This was the most common of the Ford speedometers. Mounted on a rectangular escutcheon that in turn mounted on the right end of the instrument panel. Drum type 75 MPH. Had a 5-digit odometer plus a 3-digit trip odometer below the speed indicator. The trip reset button is on the right side.AC (First series)
Similar in dimensions and mounting to the Stewart. Drum type 80 MPH. 3-digit trip odometer was below the 5-digit odometer. The reset button was on the lower face below the trip odometer.AC (C series)
Similar to the First series but with a less ornate face design. Trip reset button out the side of the case behind the instrument panel.
Small, about 2-1/2 face, without a trip odometer. The two styles differ only in the method of mounting.
SPARK PLUGS(The following information was supplied by Trent Boggess during his visit at the Ford Archives in June 1997.)
Information on the spark plugs used on the Model T is extremely scarce. Beginning in Mid-1912 information begins to appear. There are two contracts for spark plugs in accession #402. One is from the Champion Spark Plug Co. and the other is from the Champion Ignition Co. The later soon became AC Spark Plug and it's President was none other than Albert Champion (he even signed the contract).
According to the pages in the Accessory Detail Parts List there were four different brands of spark plugs used between 1912 and 1915. Mezger Spark Plugs were used during 1913-1914, AC Spark plugs between 1912 and 1913, Mosler Superior Spark Plugs in 1914 and the Champion X Spark Plug from 1912 on.
The releases in Acc. 1701 also identify four different designs of spark plugs beginning in 1913. In fact, it is interesting that the first release for T-1386 (Spark Plug) is dated Sept. 11, 1913. That was for the Champion X design. In 1922 it was given the designation T-1386-A1.
T-1386-A2 is the Bethlehem spark plug design. It was adopted on 3/28/22 and made obsolete on 9/2/26.
T-1386-A3 was the Champion F design. It was also adopted on 3/28/22. An interesting note appears on 7/18/23 which states that the distance between the electrodes changed from .035 -.037 to .030-.035.
Finally, T-1386-A4 was labeled an experimental manufacture X. It was a new design adopted on 1/5/27.
SPARK PLUG WIRE TERMINAL
T-1381 Spark plug wire terminal. Has two holes in shank part for wire to be soldered 9-16-08 Adopted, made of sheet copper 12-11-12 Changed from copper to brass #20 B&S .022 1-8-14 Brought drawings up to date. Holes for wire are eliminated. the radius of the shank part is 9/164. The distance between the top ends (before being folded around the wire) is 5/16. The height of the flanges after being bent up is increased from 1/2 to 29/64 7-2-14 Redesigned to make the terminal without any loss of stock. The width of the stock specified at 1-13/16 4-4-16 Changed material from sheet brass to cold rolled open hearth steel, #21 .032., copper plated 6-19-16 Specified to be made from scrap fender stock. (Plating not indicated) 1-23-17 Changed material from copper plated steel to terne plate, thickness from #22 USS to #20 USS. and to be made from gasoline tank scrap. 2-1-17 Changed again to be made from scrap fender stock (copper plated) 11-7-17 Specified to be zinc plated instead of copper plated. 5-6-19 Changed material to soft copper, #20 B&S. 2-26-24 Changed from.030-.032 thickness to #20 .029-.032 4-14-25 Changed thickness to #24 B&S .019-.021 T1365 Spark Plug Wire 9-16-08 Adopted 12-1-10 Added note Not used on 1911 Roadsters. This note refers to all parts in panel with above part numbers, namely T1336, 1375, 1376, 1968.
On account of T1968 being the same as T1365, we have Removed T1968 from panel, and changed name of T1365 from Spark Plug Wire (Cylinder #1) to Magneto to Coil Wire and Spark Plug wire (Cylinder #1).
9-26-13 Have specified T1365 Spark lug Wire for cylinder #2 (shown on same drawing as T1365) to be used as Magneto to Coil Wire instead of T1365, Spark Plug for cylinder #1. This changes the number required of T1366 from 1 to 2, and T1365 from 2 to 1. 2-14-14 Changed length from 15-1/2 to 15. Specified the outside diameter to be 5/16 also added the following specifications: CONDUCTOR to consist of 37 wires, #30 B&S Ga. Equals .010. 98% Mathiesons Standard. Each wire to be thoroughly annealed and well tinned. INSULATION to be not less that 20% pure rubber, sufficiently elastic to allow complete cable to bent over cylinder 1 in diameter. COVERING to be dyed and glazed cotton yarn, closely braided and treated with an oil-resisting varnish, not injurious to the cotton. Changed number of wires in conductor from 37 to 26. This changed is to take immediate effect. All wires on hand to be used up. 12-20-16 Specified use on 1917 cars. 3-31-17 Specified this part for use on Model H truck, 1917. Changed names to specify these wires as assemblies, and added notes giving the symbol numbers and lengths of Stock sizes for wires. 8-30-17 Specified for use on 1918 cars. Removed the item T1366, 1 req. as Magneto to Coil Wire Assy. From use on Sedan and Coupe. This changes the total number req. for Sedan and Coupe 1919 from 5 to 4. Changed wire from 26 strands of #30 B&S Ga. Equal to .010 TO 16 strands of #28 B&S ga. Equal to .0126 for sake of uniformity of wire sizes. 10-16-20 Specified for 1921 8-9-22 Brought drawing up to date with change in T1366. 3-31-23 Specified for 1923 12-28-23 Specified for 1924 2-15-24 Brought drawing up to date with change in T1366. T1376 Spark Plug Wire (replacing T1365). Changed length from 9-3/4 to 8-3/4, as per Mr. Sorenson’s Request, for 1910 and 1911 Touring Cars. Sent blue prints to the National Lead Co. of this part, per their request by telephone of the 8th. 11-6-11 This replaces T1375, which has become obsolete. 2-14-14 Changed length from 8-3/4 to 8. Changed number of wires in conductor from 37 to 26. This change is to take immediate effect. All wires on hand to be used up. 12-20-16 Specified for used on 1917 cars. Changed names to specify these wires as assemblies, and added notes giving the symbol numbers and lengths of Stock sizes for wires. 9-10-17 Specified for use on 1918 cars. Removed the item T1366. 1 req. as Magneto to Coil Wire Assembly from use on Sedan and Coupe 1919. This changes the total number required for Sedan and Coupe from 5 to 4. Changed outside diameter of wire from 5/16 to 19/64-21/64. 12-2-25 Specified for use on TT chassis only for 1926. Removed wire specifications and added note Use T7623 Wire. Brought up to date with change in terminal, also added view of end wire before assembling terminal. 8-28-35 Released as #1-2-3-4 wires for 1926 and 1927 repairs.
SPLASH APRONSStraight from front fender to rear. Curved cut at rear to clear brake rods. Later 1909 had a straight cut at the rear (angled to the rear and upwards). Painted body color.
Part # Factory # Description 1909 Early Production -----
L/H 60 tread
L/H Town Cars (green)
L/H 60 tread
1909-1910 Straight from front to rear. Curved cut at rear to clear brake rods. Later 1909 had a straight cut at the rear. 2942
L/H 60 tread
1731 or 1620
1732 or 1621
L/H Town Cars (Green)
3885 or 2985
3884 or 2984
Town Cars (Green) 60 tread
1911-1913 Bulge at rear to clear rods until mid-1912, then a gradual taper at the rear to a point about 10 ahead of the rear fender. Now matched the rear fender line. Painted black after 1912. 4815
L/H 60 tread
1911 Torpedo Runabout 4849
L/H 60 tread
1912-1916 Aprons now tapered gently to the rear fender from a point about 10 from the rear fender, reducing the apparent bulge. 1913-1916 4815
L/H 1915 Sedans
1917-1923 Similar to 1916 but patterned to fit new fenders. In early 1917 the aprons were modified to smoothly taper from front to rear, with no bulge at the rear. 4815C
L/H 1922-23 Fordor Sedans
1923-1925 Similar to prior style but patterned to fit wider hood clash strips when higher radiator appeared about June 1923. (Had hole for hood clip.) In later 1925 models (perhaps on cars built at the time of the change to the 1926 models) the aprons on some of the Tudor and Fordor sedans were given a new square shape, similar to the 1926-27 style. 4815C
1926-1927 Entirely new design to match new body styles. Square rather than earlier rounded design. 4815F
SPRINGSAll taper-leaf. 7 leaves in the front. 8 leaves in the rear, except for the 1911 Torpedo which used 7. Several types appeared. In one the spring clip was riveted to the leaf, with the bolt running under the spring. On another, the leaf was curled upwards and the clip bolt passed through the curl above the spring. Still another used a separate clip assembly.
Spring perch bushings were X bronze from 1909 to about 1912; seamed brass or bronze tubing from late 1911 to mid-1914; and steel from 1914 to 1927. The 1/4 oil hole was added in 1915.
FRONT: Springs slowly changed to non-taper design beginning in late 1915 or 1916 on some production. This was a 6-leaf, non-tapered type until late 1917 when a seventh leaf was added. Main leaf not drilled for oilers until 1917 (approximately).
REAR: 8-leaf tapered.
1918-1921FRONT:7-leaf non-tapered. Main leaf drilled for oilers.
REAR: 8-leaf, non-tapered, with main leaf drilled for oilers.
1922-1923FRONT: Same as 1921.
REAR: Same as 1921 plus 9-leaf spring added for the Sedans.
1923-1925FRONT: Same as 1921
REAR: Same as 1922 but 6-leaf spring added for the Runabouts. 1925 Pickups supplied by the factory used the 9-leaf spring.
1926-1927FRONT: New 8-leaf spring used on all cars.
REAR: 8-leaf spring for all cars except the Sedans that used a 9-leaf, both the same as used in 1925. The 6-leaf was discontinued.
Note: Accession 166 at the Ford Archives, which contains Process Sheets which detail various assembly operations. Indicates that the spring leaves were lubricated with a mixture of graphite and an air-drying paint. This mixture was painted on the leaves as they were assembled. The paint bound the graphite in place so that it wouldn't be squeezed out from between the leaves as the springs flexed.
SPRING SHACKLES 1909-1912Mae West shape with brass oilers. 1913-1917Figure eight type with brass oilers. During 1915 a combination of the figure 8 hanger and a new L design was used. The older style had an oiler while the new half did not (the perch now had an oiler). The regular L style began at front around mid-1916. 1917-1923Figure-eight style at first and then L shaped shackles of several designs, without oilers. The oilers were now located on the spring perches and on the main leaf of the spring. The front spring was apparently changed first; then the rear.
The second type was a two-piece steel riveted design. This was superseded by the forged L-shaped style used until around 1923.
1923-1927U shaped type with tie strap now standard.
(Accession 166, Box 3, Folder Model T T260—T-686C, Ford Archives)
Ford painted springs with the following mixture: Mix 1.62 lbs. or one quart of special spirits (for thinning enamels); 5.5025 lbs. or three quarts of M-170 Black enamel and ten lbs. of M-1012 flake graphite. One pound will lubricate 75 springs.
STEERING COLUMN3500 (T900). (Cars under 34,600, December 19, 1910) 50 long. Brass gear housing was a riveted assembly with the column fitting. Brass quadrant. Levers brass-plated with black hard-rubber knobs. The pitman arm was oval in cross-section, and shorter than the later types used with the two-piece spindles. (The first 2500 cars apparently used a shorter and straighter piman arm than that used on the post-2500 cars.)
19113500C (T5005). Now 56 long but similar to 1910.
3500B (T900B). For Town Cars, 51 length.
3500D (T979). For Torpedo Runabouts, 60 length.
1912-19143500C (T5005). 56 long, on all cars. A new design, the column was mounted 3/4 lower at the firewall than in 1911, requiring a new steering bracket and a change in the angle of the column mounting flange. Retained was the brass quadrant and riveted gear case. 1912 was the last year for the hard-rubber spark and throttle knobs. These were eliminated during 1912 and the ends of the brass-plated control rods were flattened for handles. Around 1913 the lower mounting flange was changed from a forging to pressed metal. 19153500C (T5042). The 1914 column seems to have been used in very early production, with some overlap when both the old and new types appeared at the same time. The new gear case was now one-piece rather than riveted design. Quadrant was pressed steel, painted black, apparently introduced during 1914 production. The gear case was polished bronze, not plated. The cover was much flatter than previous cone-shaped type. Levers were steel with the flattened ends now smaller and somewhat round, and brass-plated (although some black-painted rods seem original).
Factory Blueprints indicate that the new one-piece gear case was approved on September 5, 1914. On September 18, 1914 the steering gear quadrant was redesigned. The new quadrant was made from cold-rolled steel and was to be brass plated. Early types of the steel quadrant were made with the serrated edge folded up, somewhat in the manner of the earlier design. September drawings show the later type (without the fold). There may have been two versions of the earlier design quadrant; one made of brass and the other of steel. Both are shown on the blueprint.
The horn wire tube was adopted on January 29, 1915 but it wasn’t until October 8, 1915 that this tube was adopted for all production.
1915-1917Similar to previous type but small tube added for horn wire. Horn switch mounted on the top surface, just below the steering wheel. The horn bulb, when used, clamped to the column. Quadrant was painted black. Factory blueprint, dated February 26, 1916, indicates that the horn wire was changed from a tube to a steel stamping, welded to the column
NOTE: The brass plating of the rods was only at the top and levers, not the entire length of the rods.
1917-1919Gear case now bronze and nickel-plated. However, a blueprint dated July 14, 1916 specifies that the case was to be finished black and then on September 9, 1916 it was to be Moodyize(?) and black enamel. Still later, June 14, 1917, the case was to be nickel plated. During 1919 the planet gears were specified to be 14-pitch with a 20-degree pressure angle.
Levers nickel-plated at the top, with shorter flattened ends. The quadrant was changed from brass plated to black enameled. The gear case cover changed from bronze to steel, nickel plated.
The wire tube was made larger to accept light wires. In late 1917 the horn button was now a two-function type with fluted sides. Turning it operated the lights. The button now mounted in a housing on the left side of the column, where it remained for the remainder of Model T production.
1919-1920During 1919 the finish was specified as zinc plated and buffed (instead of nickel). Shortly later the cover finish was changed back to nickel, and in 1920 the case itself was again nickled. This finish continued, according to factory blueprints, until sometime in 1926. The spark and throttle rods were also changed to zinc plated at the handles, and black painted below, and remained this way until July 26, 1926 the blueprint. 1921-19223500C (T5044). Similar in appearance to 1920 but a longer pin was used for one of the planetary gears. This pin extended down into a groove milled in the case to act as a stop, preventing the steering going over center. 1922-1925Similar to 1917 but horn button no longer doubled as the light switch on non-starter cars. (Dash board with switch was now standard.) Column support bracket (to instrument panel) added in 1924. Gear ratio changed to 5:1 in Late 1924 (1925 models) when balloon tires were introduced. 1926-19273500D (T5044B). Similar in style to earlier but now had flange to mate with new body types.
The Assembly and Change letters from the home plant to the branches has been a rich source of information on how Model T’s were built in the ‘20’s. In several of these letters the home plant advised the branches not to paint the lower part of the steering column that was beneath the hood. The idea being that if the parts were painted, customers would not be able to see the quality steel that was used in the construction of these columns.
There is a letter from the San Francisco branch to the home office dated 5/22/26. It says: In recent assembly change letters we were again advised that the lower part of the steering column, part T-5042 was not to be painted, so as to allow the public to see the quality of the material which was embodied in the steering post.
In checking over cars in the territory, we find that cars that have been out any length of time become very rusty and very dirty, and the quality of material does not show.
Due to this, do you not think it is advisable to white shellac or apply the white coat of Pyroxylin on the lower part of the steering column so as to keep this material in A1 condition at all times and also assuring the public just what is assembled in the steering post.
STEERING GEAR CASEA good number of minor modifications were made in the steering gear case, as noted in the evolution notes below. Basically the 1909-1914 gear case was of the two-piece type, with the upper (gear part) riveted to the lower part which was riveted to the steering column. The top cover was somewhat cone-shaped rather than flat as on the later design.
1914-1927During 1914 the older riveted-type gear case was superseded with a new design which was to remain somewhat standard until the end of Model T production in 1927. The 1914-1916 cases (P/N 3507, F/N T5029) were bronze and polished. In 1916 the brass era ended and the steering case was then nickel plated to suit the new styling. In 1919 the nickel plate was replaced with polished zinc plate, and this finish continued until sometime in 1926 when nickel plating was again used. The part number remained the same but the new factory number was T5036. Listed below are the factory drawing change dates and modifications. The descriptions are exact quotes unless otherwise indicated.
STEERING GEAR CASE EVOLUTION
(Factory blueprint dates, not the date of use)
12-26-07 Adopted 02-17-10 Change threads on tap for clamping screw from 6-32 to 6-32 V. 06-13-11 Added note on drawing to be tinned and sweated to T905A or B. (The steering case bushing) 11-10-11 Changed diameter of hole in bottom from 25/32 to .780-.781 ream. 05-21-12 Changed style of threads in tap for steering gear cover lock screw from 6-32 V to 6-32 ASME. 07-08-12 Changed the thickness of the bottom from 5/32 to 5/32-11/64 02-14-13 We have specified that the countersink in rivet holes reach clear through to the bottom of the case, also that the angle to be 25 degrees. Our attention has been called to dimension specifying the diameter of rivet holes at the bottom to be .157 which is the diameter of a #22 drill, which undoubtedly will be used in drilling these holes before countersinking. 04-07-14 CHW (Wills) advised GVH (Howard) to change specifications on T904 (the steering gear case) from Z bronze to X bronze. 04-24-14 Changed diameter at top of gear teeth from 2.428 to 2.427-2.428. 07-02-14 Changed depth of case on inside from 1-1/8 to 1.122 and 1.128 and diameter of pocket in bottom of cover from 2-1/8 to 2.122-2.124. 07-24-14 Changed diameter of counterbore in the bottom for steering case bushing from 2.122-2.124 to 2.125-2.126. 09-05-14 We have adopted this experimental design and will consider it as a change in the design of the old steering gear part. (Apparently this is the new style gear case, but there is no previous reference to this change.) 12-09-15 Changed style of thread from USS to USF. 07-14-16 This case differs from the regular only that it is made out of cast steel instead of W bronze, and is to be raven finished and black enameled. 07-14-16 Removed note which specified drawing to be experimental, and called for use on 1917 cars. Changed material from cast steel to W bronze. Removed note which called for raven finish and black enamel, and specified case to be finished black. Experimental drawings were issued under date of 7-14-16, so we will consider it as adopted that date. (It would appear that the steel case was either never made, or just experimental.) 09-09-16 Removed note which specified case to be finished black and called for Moodyize, and black enamel. This change is to take immediate effect. All cases on hand to be used up. 04-04-17 Specified this part for use on Model H truck, 1917. (Note the reference to Model H. Apparently the TT designation came later.) 05-22-17 Specified for use on all cars 1915-16-17, instead of 1917 only. (This part replaces T5029). 06-14-17 Brought drawing up to date by specifying this case to be nickel plated, instead of Moodyized and black enamel. 09-04-17 Specified for use on 1918 cars. 05-05-19 Specified this part to be zinc plated all over, and buffed as shown in the drawing, instead of nickel plated. 10-17-19 Changed the pitch of gear teeth on the above part from 14 to 14-18 with 20 degree pressure angle. This change is made to reduce friction between gears and is to take effect as soon as the change can be made without holding up production. The parts on hand to be balanced and used up. Note: Owing to the wear on these parts when in use it will be necessary to hold the present design, that is, parts having straight 14 pitch teeth for repairs. 11-04-20 Brought drawings up to date by changing pitch diameter from 2.571 to 2.571 ± .003. 12-22-20 This part is no longer required for repairs, and has therefore been marked obsolete. 10-28-21 Added 3/32 to under side of cup, added slot for stop pin in bottom. Brought drawing up to date by specifying outside of cup to be machined and nickel plated. Changed distance between lugs which hold throttle and lead rods from 21/64 to 21/64-11/32. 02-23-22 Changed angle between centerline of case and the center of 13/64 radius at ends of slot for stop pin from 45 degrees to 51 degrees. 11-24-22 Removed 2-59/64 diameter relief 3/32 long from upper part of threads, and changed width of 45 degree chamfer at top of case from 1/32 to 3/32. 01-15-23 Changed method of specifying material from W brass to #2 Red Bronze. 05-27-24 Changed angle between centerline and ends of stop slot from 51 degrees to 60 degrees. 09-27-24 Changed width of stop slot from 13/32 to 15/32. This changes radius for centerline of slot from .857 to .821 and for ends from 13/64 to 15/64. Changed angle between centerline and right hand end of slot from 60 degrees to 65 degrees. Specified for 1925. 10-07-25 Changed angle between centerline and ends of stop slot from 60 to 62 degrees on left side and 55 to 67 degrees on right side. No further changes in the design were made
STEERING WHEELBronze spider and nut. 14-1/4 O.D. (12-1/2 I.D., 1 thick) wood rim was painted black. Note: most recent data shows the wheel to be 13 O.D. but this is apparently the result of latter-day reproduction wheels. No original 13 wheels have been found on Ford cars.
1911-1912Bronze spider. Redesigned wheel now 12-3/8 I.D. and 1-1/8 thick (14-3/4 O.D.) wood rim painted black. Bronze spider believed to have been painted black in later production.
1912-1920Malleable iron spider, painted black. 12-1/4 I.D., 1-3/8 thick) 14.59 O.D. wood rim painted black until about 1919, then made of Fordite composition material. The malleable iron spider was changed to the pressed steel design late in the era (date unknown)
1920-1925Pressed-steel spider, painted black. 16 O.D. wheel. (June 1920)
1925-1927Similar to 1925 but now 17 O.D.
STEERING CONNECTING ROD
Factory Number T-289
7-29-12 Riveted rod adopted. Brazing pin holes at various angles. 11-4-12 Pin holes now drilled in the same direction. 1-9-14 Both ends of brazing pins riveted over. 9-19-14 Length of rod changed from 30-11/16 to 30-11/16—30-3/4. A month later it was changed again to 31.062—31.125 7-14-16 Ford design with forged end adopted. Earlier type continued in use (supplied by outside firms). 5-8-17 Ford design now used exclusively. 10-2-17 Length changed to 30.938—31.062. 5-19-19 Length changed to 30.312—30.438 Factory Number T-289-B At the introduction of and for the 1926 models, the length was 31.125—31.250. 10-7-25 Length changed to 30.812—30.875.
WORM GEAR STEERINGThe worm steering gear assembly (T-5010) was apparently used on some cars at least until early 1926. It came in two ratios, 6:1 and 7:1. The higher ratio was probably the standard; the 6:1 being the first design in 1910. Factory shipping records show a Town Car, serial number 48,955, April 21, 1911, as having Worm Steering Gear. This car was shipped to Germany. Perhaps all cars shipped to Germany required this steering arrangement. Notes in various files at the Ford Archives often refer to worm steering and Cars to Germany. The assembly was designed so that the steering arm moved from side to side (Sector gear was parallel to the road). The standard steering arm was used, with the ball pointing down, and fit the standard drag link by turning the threaded ball end ninety degrees.
T-905B Worm steering gear case at top of steering column. There are no gears in this case but it is the same as the standard steering column part at the top of the column. T-965 Worm steering gear bracket. Similar to the standard bracket but made to accommodate the worm and sector gears. T-966 Top cover for T-965. This bolts to 965 with three screws which are wired together to prevent their loosening. T-969 and
Bronze bushings for the sector gear shaft. T-972 Worm gear. (Originally T-990.) T-973 Sector gear. (Originally T-991.) T2367 Left-hand engine dust shield for use with the worm steering gear. T-5014 Wood block for worm steering gear at frame.
The steering column shaft was solid from the steering wheel to the worm, since there were no planetary gears at the top.
Drawings and more data on the worm assembly
HEADLIGHT SWITCHThis is the push-pull switch that mounted to the right of the coil box on the firewall of the 1915-1917 cars. Below are the dates on which the changes were made in the blueprints, NOT necessarily the dates the changes appeared on the cars.
10-10-14 All models, (after the first 10,000) 1915 cars. 10-28-14 Brought up to date (the blueprint) with switches as they are being made in regard to the shape of the handle. 3-4-15 New design. 1 req. This switch is made by the K-W Ignition Co., and has the same symbol number as the other headlamp switches which we are using, made by the Connecticut Telephone and Electric Co. 2-17-16 Brought drawing up to date by specifying the material of which the different parts are to be made. Removed note which specified the first 10,000 cars 1915, specifying use on 1915 and 1916 cars. (The reference to the first 10,000 should have been after the first 10,000.) 4-26-16 Brought up to date with the switches as there are being made, by changing the material of the cap from brass to steel, specifying it to be black enameled instead of polished outside. Changed diameter of body from 55/64 - 7/8" to 27/32. Also incorporated this change in T6590. (T6590 is the mounting wood screw.) 8-9-16 Connecticut switch. Specified that now to be made of steel, copper plated, nickel plated and polished. These changes are to take effect when experimental car is made regular. (The 1917 style cars) 8-9-16 K-W obsolete. Specified for use on 1916 and also 1917. 5-27-17 To be used on Model H Truck. 1917. 10-2-17 To be used for repairs only. 11-2-21 Specified use of either Connecticut or any approved equivalent design instead of Connecticut design only. 8-9-22 Obsolete 1-16-24 Reinstated and specified for use in service.
TIMERNote: Ford experimented with many timers during Model T production. Aluminum, brass, iron and steel were used, with varying types of contact (brush) assemblies. There may be no correct timer for any given year. The following Timer Evolution documentation documents many of the changes but not necessarily all of them.
1909-1911Two-piece type. (Until October 1911.) Made of brass. See Timer Evolution for the many modifications made during this era. 1911-1913For a short time in late 1911 (early 1912 models) a new aluminum timer with a built in oil spout was used, along with a new timing gear cover. These were changed before calendar 1912 to the standard timer with a cast aluminum case and another, now standard, timing gear cover. 1914-1919Similar style to 1913. Cast-iron case specified in late 1915, in addition to aluminum, and all cast iron beginning around 1916. 1919-1920Roller type brush replaced with a wiper brush for short time, then back to the roller type. Iron, aluminum, bronze and steel cases used throughout this period, as well as a number of different, experimental, brush assemblies. 1921-1927Pressed-steel case with roller brush. TIMER EVOLUTION(Dates are those of the changes in the blueprint drawings, not necessarily the dates on which the changes occurred in production.)
The oil-filler timer was just the first in the long line of timers held to the front cover by a spring. The factory number for the front cylinder cover for the oil-filler timer was T-4450, not T403B. The drawings for several of the versions of the oil filler timer cases and the correct cylinder front cover do survive in the museum's collections.
The lever bent into a U shape appeared on 7-2-23. The first levers were narrower between the bosses for the pull rod holes. Then ten days later they put flanges around the pull rod holes. This lasted about five months when the flanges were eliminated. Note that the levers got wider on 7-18-23.
Date Factory # Description 01-17-08 404 Adopted. Case was 1-3/8 tall by 2-7/8 in diameter. Similar to the N-R-S timer. 05-12-09 404B Case is now 1-5/16 tall and has an oiler but the cover is plain. 09-07-09 404C Used after the first 15,000. The case is 1-9/32 tall and 3 in diameter. 09-13-10 404C Ford and Detroit, Mich. USA added to the cover (T461C). 04-29-11 4439 Commutator Case New Design 05-12-11 4439 Commutator Case, to be used on 1912 05-25-11 4439 Commutator Case. Changed height of breather pipe from 3 to 2-3/4 05-25-11 4439 Commutator Case. Changed thickness of arm from 1/4 to 5/32 07-11-11 4439 Commutator Case. Changed material from brass to aluminum. 07-11-11 4439 Commutator Case. Changed thickness of pull rod boss from 1/4 to 7/16. 07-13-11 4439 Commutator Case. Changed height of breather pipe from 2-3/4 to 2-1/4. 09-29-11 4439 Commutator Case. Part T-4129 commutator pull rod to be used with this part. (The first shipping invoice noting the use of the oil filler timer was Oct. 5, 1911. The above changes were all pre-production.) 11-27-11 4439 Commutator Case. Redesigned (standard design). 02-24-12 4439 Commutator Case. Changed diameter of case at bottom of cone from 2-7/32 to 2-5/8. 09-03-12 4439 Commutator Case. Specify 45 degree bevel 1/32 wide on the outside of case at bottom. (The above changes relate to the aluminum case timer. The 2-24-12 change was made in order to reduce the amount of aluminum used in the casting.) 10-04-15 4439 Commutator Case. Changed material from aluminum to cast iron. 01-22-16 4439 Commutator Case. Specify Raven Finish 05-19-16 4439 Commutator Case. Specified name Ford to be cast just below arm for commutator pull rod. 11-29-16 4439 Commutator Case. Specified name Ford to be placed below boss for commutator case spring. 11-29-16 4439 Commutator Case. Changed hole for oiler from 1/8 pipe to .312 drill. 12-30-16 4439 Commutator Case. Specified name Ford to be placed on C.L. (center line) of oil boss and above C.L. of case. (This is the same date the records indicated a change from aluminum to cast iron on the transmission covers. It is interesting how the location of the name Ford changed three times in seven months on this timer.) 12-31-17 4439 Commutator Case. Pressed Steel Design. Make out of crankcase scrap. 12-31-17 4443 Com. Case Assy. Pressed Steel Design. Make out of crankcase scrap. 12-31-17 5925 Commutator Case Lever. New design. To be used with pressed steel case. 04-16-18 4443 Commutator Case Assy. Removed old oiler T-2944, replace with T-480. 08-16-18 4439 Commutator Case. Decreased height from 2 to 1-7/8 to decrease depth of draw. 01-28-19 4439 Commutator Case. Cast Iron design obsolete 01-28-19 4443 Commutator Case Assy. Adopted for entire production. (The pressed steel design was adopted at the end of 1917. Both the pressed steel and cast iron designs were used in prodction for 13 months before the pressed steel design was used for all production. The T2944oiler is the same as the spring perch oiler. T480 is listed as the commutator oiler. The change in the depth of draw on 8-16-18 was to reduce breakage of the dies because of the nature of the steel available for use. Apparently WWI was having an effect on Ford's steel supply.) 03-20-19 5925 Commutator Case Lever . Change from clutch disc scrap to thicker running board scrap. 03-29-19 5925 Commutator Case Lever. Change from running board scrap to top rib socket scrap. 10-06-19 4439A Commutator Case. Removed the name Ford. 10-06-19 5925 Commutator Case Lever. Specified the name Ford in script be stamped in lever. 05-24-20 4439A Commutator Case. Added A to symbol number. 05-24-20 4439B Commutator Case. New Design. Make out of tractor clutch disc scrap. 05-24-20 5925A Commutator Case Lever. Added A to symbol number. To be used with T4439A 05-24-20 5925B Commutator Case Lever. New Design, use with T-4439B. 06-23-20 4439B Commutator Case. Removed flange from around hole for oiler. 06-23-20 4439B Commutator Case. Removed note make from tractor clutch disc scrap. 06-23-20 4439B Commutator Case. Moved oil hole to 9/16 from front end of case from 11/16. 10-11-20 4439A Commutator Case. Obsolete, and replaced by T-4439B 10-27-20 5925A Commutator Case Lever. Obsolete. The pressed steel design required a separate stamping for the lever. The lever used at this time actually was an assembly, T-5925 lever and T-5925 bushing. I am not certain what the difference is between the 4439A pressed steel design and the 4439B design. I do know that each used their own steel levers. 09-23-21 5925B Commutator Case Lever. Make from either rib socket or running board scrap. 09-23-21 5925B Commutator Case Lever. Specified the edges to be flanged on the sides. 10-10-21 4439B Commutator Case. Specified case to be made from two pieces of clutch disc scrap T-728. 10-10-21 4443 Commutator Case Assy. Specified to be made out of two pieces of clutch disc scrap. 06-14-23 5925B Commutator Case Lever. Redesigned, specifying edges to be straight instead of flanged. 07-02-23 5925B Commutator Case Lever. Redesigned, eliminating the bushing (bent into a U at top). 07-12-23 5925B Commutator Case Lever. Specified flanges around holes for pull rod. 07-18-23 5925B Commutator Case Lever. Changed width between bosses for pull rod from 1/4 to 1/2. 12-17-23 5925B Commutator Case Lever. Removed flange from holes for pull rod. 04-01-24 5925B Commutator Case Lever. Specified name Ford be stamped horizontally instead of vertically. 12-23-24 5925B Commutator Case Lever. Changed length of foot from 1-1/64 to 15/16 12-23-24 5925B Commutator Case Lever. Changed thickness to thicker scrap from T-1828 or T-1894.
T-1828 and T-1894 were the generator brush supports.
TIMING GEAR COVER(After first 2500). Designed to use the two-piece timer. The fan belt was held under tension by a spring between the cover and a knob on the fan support arm.
1911Similar to 1910 but the tension spring was dropped and replaced with an adjustment screw, the head of which mated with the knob on the support arm previously used to locate the spring.
1912First used a timer with an integral oil spout. Later (apparently in late 1911 or early 1912) the standard type replaced it. Fan adjustment screw was now on the right side of the engine.
1913-1916Similar to the 1912 but the filler spout was a bit longer and pointed at the bottom, allowing the resulting hole to be larger. 1917-1925(Non-starter cars) Similar to 1916 but with heavier casting, most noticeable on the bottom edge. (Similar to the later, starter-type casting but without the generator mount.) The filler spout was made even longer. Used on non-starter cars only after 1918. 1919-1925Similar to above but modified to allow for generator mount.
1926-1927Similar to 1925 but no boss for fan adjustment screw. (Early production engines had the screw boss but it was not drilled and tapped.)
Supplied with the car
Note: The design of Ford-supplied tools changed through the years. While the same part numbers were used, all of the same number were not necessarily exactly alike.
1909-1913T1349 hub cap wrench. T1387 adjustable wrench. T1902 screwdriver. T1903 pliers. T1904 spark plug wrench. T1917 wrench. T2336 tool roll. T2337 oil can. T2338 tire pump. T2340 tire iron. 1914-1916T1349, T1387, T1902, T1903, T1917, T2335 cylinder head wrench, T2336 T2337, T2338, T2340. 1917-1920Same as 1916 but T2343 jack added. 1921-1927T1903 pliers modified to have screwdriver blade on one handle and the T1902 screwdriver was dropped. Otherwise the same as 1920. T2344 jack handle added in late 1925. In 1926 and 1927 cars with wire wheels were supplied with a P/N 2891 T shaped wrench for the wheel lug nuts. TOOL ROLLSThe earliest tool roll record is dated September 4, 1913. The drawing indicates it was factory number T-1979 and was made of six-ounce waterproof duck. It had pockets for the tools and was tied with a strap. The flap had beveled edges.
The next change was on October 23, 1914 when the drawing was brought up to date as the rolls were then being made. The size changed to 13 by 19 inches (from 14 by 20 inches) with the width of the pockets changed accordingly. A pocket was added to the flap to be used in holding T-4729 repair patch and four tire patches, T-4726. The corners of the flap are square instead of beveled.
On March 3, 1915 the drawing was brought up to date as the rolls were being made at that time. The pocket in the flap was discontinued. On March 31, 1915 a note was added that the rolls were to be made from any scrap rubber or imitation leather, and were to be made by the Ford Motor Company.
In December 16 (the date is obscure) the drawing indicates the pockets were discontinued.
On December 6, 1920 a new design. It is now more of a bag than a roll. Apparently two versions were being made; one had a snap button to keep the flap closed and the other used a web strap. The button type appears to be new as the strap had been used for some time.
On June 5, 1924 a new drawing. The width went from 5 to 6 inches to 5-1/2 to 6-1/2 inches, and the length outside went from 16 to 17 inches to 12-1/2 to 13 inches. Glove fasteners were specified instead of the strap and buckle.
TIRE PUMPT-1368 is the Ford design tire pump. On February 21, 1920 the drawing indicates a redesign by showing a single-cylinder instead of the double-cylinder pump. The dates of the actual change, and the variations in design over the years are not indicated. TOOL BOX (Used on the 1925 Runabouts)Factory number T-7343. Adopted on January 15, 1925. On March 27, 1925 they removed the twelve punched 5/64 holes from the rear flange and substituted four 1/4 punched holes and two 11/64 holes. This box fit behind the gasoline tank and was used in the 1925 runabouts only.
EVOLUTION OF T-1349 HUBCAP WRENCHNOTE: M-660 is Chassis black Pyroxylin, a Model A paint.
7-11-10 Adopted 9-1-10 Added a rib at point A. 9-23-10 Redesigned 10-6-10 Changed the sockets on the octagon and hexagon parts of wrench, that is on the flanges, from angular to round flange. 12-19-11 Made side of wrench tangent with the ends also added hex hole 31/33 across flats, enabling us to use this wrench for rear axle nut. 12-19-14 We have specified trademark to be added to this part as indicated by note and arrow. 12-20-16 Specified use on 1917 cars. 4-16-17 Specified use on Model H truck, 1917. 8-30-17 Specified for use on 1918 cars. 7-19-20 Specified the name FORD to be stamped in script along with the trademark. 8-11-20 Added name Ford in script at request of manufacturer, to show size and location of name. 10-16-20 Specified for use for 1921. 3-31-23 Specified for use for 1922 23. 10-11-23 Removed flanges from edge of end holes. Specified steel out of which these wrenches are made to be hot rolled, low carbon open hearth. 10-20-23 Specified for use for 1924. 8-1-24 Specified a flange around hole for hub cap. 9-23-24 Removed flange from hole for hub cap and specified sharp corners at edge of hole to be removed. 2-19-25 Specified for use for 1925. 2-16-26 Specified lugs on the sides of holes for spindle cone, outer to be reinforced at ends. 4-6-28 Specified paint with M-660, see paint specifications. 5-14-28 Removed paint specifications.
TOPSNOTE: Most open cars supplied with tops were also supplied with side curtains throughout production. (There are examples of original cars that did not have the fasteners for the curtains, which might indicate some cars did not come with curtains.) These were made of the same material as the top, with isinglass windows sewn in place. Side curtains were somewhat crude in workmanship, with minor variations in dimensions, location of windows, etc.
1909-1910The top assembly fastened to a forged rail that in turn was fastened to the body. Bows had curve outward, unique to 1909 and 1910 style cars. Material was imitation leather with pebble grain. Some versions in 1909 lined with a red material, others were not, depending on manufacturer. Some tops had a front windshield curtain that rolled up, even on cars supplied with a glass windshield. Rear window 17 x 9-1/4 with 3 biased corners. On early cars, and perhaps even the later ones (into late 1909 or 1910), the top sockets were painted body color. The support rail and the landau irons, however, were black. Rear curtain rolled up. Most tops were black but some were gray in 1909. Supported by strap that ran to front lamp bracket, hooked in place. 1911Top irons and bows now straight and mounted to body brackets. Front was supported by strap to front as in 1910. Style and rear window similar to 1910. 1912Similar in style to 1911 but top support strap now connected to center windshield hinge. 1913Rear window now curved on top, measured 16-1/2 x 7-1/2 at the sides, with the curve rising about 1-1/2 more at the center. New bows and top to match sloping windshield. Front straps to bracket at the windshield hinge. 1914Similar to 1913 but slightly different shape. 1915-1917Similar to 1914 but rear no longer rolls up. Metal sockets are oval in cross section, as in earlier cars. Metal tack cover strip at rear of body where top rear curtain is nailed. 1916 was the last year for Murphy fasteners for the side curtains. 1917-1922Similar in style to 1916 but rear window now three separate pieces, each 9-1/2 x 5-1/4 with 3 between them. Sockets in early 1917 were oval in cross section but were changed to rectangular cross section by 1918. Lift the Dot fasteners replaced the Murphy type in some locations. The leather top support straps to the windshield were changed to cotton webbing, and the buckle-type hook now had a loop only for the strap. About 1920 the top was redesigned to include a visor above the windshield for a better weather seal.
In 1921, the open car bodies were redesigned and at that time the top rest support was changed from the L bracket bolted to the top body frame to a plain rod extending through the rear quarter panel.
1923-1925One-man top. When introduced in September 1922 the Touring top lower edge was a straight line from front to rear. After 100,000, the rear was given a gentle curve downward. Two rear windows, each 8-1/2 x 5-1/2, with up to 8 between them (there seems to be no standard, they have been seen with anywhere from 3 to 8 inches between them). Now clamped to the top of the windshield posts, eliminating the support straps used earlier. Later 1925 tops had one rear window, as in the 1926-27 models. 1926-1927Similar in style to 1925. Single rear window, 16-3/4 x 7. Rear socket curves at the bottom. A letter from the Fargo, ND branch to its dealers, dated March 22. 1926, announced the availability of khaki or black top boots with matching gypsy curtains, for dealer installation.
TOP STRAPSThe leather straps used to support the top at various locations (to the front frame, windshield, rear, etc.) between 1909 and 1915 were all dyed black. Beginning about 1915 these straps became woven belting and were still dyed black. The woven belts continued until the end of production in 1927.
TRANSMISSION BRAKE DRUMAssembly of T709 drum, T710 shaft, and type Z bronze bushings as described below. The basic design of the transmission did not change over the years but a number of relatively minor modifications were made, and are noted below.
Early 1909T-712 bushings, two used. 1909-1912T-754 bushings, 1 x 1-39/64 x 2, two used. Thirteen large (T-728) and thirteen small (T-727) clutch plates were used. In late 1910 or early 1911 the clutch adjusting screw head was changed from square to the standard style with two flat sides. 1913-1916T-769 flanged rear bushing, and T-712 front bushing. 1916-1920In April 1916 the drum was modified to eliminate the T-3330 (T-729) disk spacer plate. The number of small clutch plates was reduced to twelve. 1920-1925T-712 bushings, two used. 3320D (T-776) spacer washer was used in place of the flange of the earlier rear bushing. 1926-19273311B (T-750B) Wider drum using the same gear and bushings as 1925. Steel shoes (3312 (T-754) were added to the clutch lugs. (Later replacements for the earlier brake drums also had these steel shoes.) The large clutch plates (T-728B) were redesigned to fit the new drum. These plates could also be used for replacements in earlier transmissions.
LOW SPEED DRUMAssembly of T-706 drum, T-707 gear, T-745 bronze bushing, and T-708 rivets. Rivets were 7/32 x 11/16.
1915-1927Rivets changed to T-711, now 1/4 x 13/16. (Dates are approximate.)
REVERSE DRUMAssembly of T-702 drum, T-703 gear, T-705 bushing, and T-708 rivets.
PLANET (Triple) GEART-716 bushing, 1 x 1-43/64
3313 (T-751 or T-751B)
1909-1910Three-piece design. Assembly of T-717 (reverse), T-717B (drive), T-718 (low) gears, T-716A bushing (1 x 1-19/32) 1911-1920Flanged bushing (T-716B) now used.
1917-1927Same assembly part number but now of one-piece design. There apparently was a period where both types of gears were used. T-716B bushing is the same.
DRIVE PLATE AND SHAFTClutch fingers (T-732) had no adjustment screws. Bronze bushing (3327 (T-724) was 15/16 x 1-1/8 x 2
1909-1913Clutch fingers T-732B) now had adjustment screws T-756. A woodruff key (T-734) between the clutch shift sleeve and the drive plate shaft prevents the sleeve from turning but is loose enough to allow the shifting action. 1913-1915The T-734 woodruff key (above) is eliminated. 1915-1925T-775 disk added to tail shaft to reduce oil leaks. 1926-19273321B (T-749B) Redesigned to accommodate the wider brake drum. Clutch fingers (T-732C) and pins (T-735B) are new.
TRANSMISSION COVERInitially pressed-steel in at least two types, used in the two-pedal cars. These were quickly superseded by an aluminum cover, perhaps at the introduction of the three-pedal style. (There is no written evidence that two-pedal cars used the aluminum cover.*) Square inspection door held with a clip rotated by a large hex-head bolt in the center. An internal oil scoop was riveted inside-top-rear to direct oil to the rear clutch yoke and bearing. The two-pedal design also had a support plate under the drums, apparently to support the bands. While similar in design to the later 4-bolt cover, this cover would not fit the later engine pan due to varying bolt hole locations. Beginning at about car 750 the three-pedal system began to be installed on some production, and by 800 all cars were of the three-pedal type.**
(T-826) First 2500 cars.
The cover door was modified in early production. The first 750 cars used the rotating clip; the second 750 had locating stops to prevent turning the clip too far. After the first 1500, the door was changed to aluminum and secured with four screws.
* Car number 220 which was found in seemingly original, unrestored condition, had an aluminum transmission cover and the two-lever control system. Documentation at the Research Center seems to indicate that all two-lever cars used the pressed-steel cover. Perhaps the cover in 220 had been changed sometime in the distant past.
** The Ford Parts Lists say the change to the three-pedal system began at 500 but the documentation at the Research Center seems to indicate the beginning at 750.
1909-1910Aluminum in two types; the first being similar to the earlier aluminum cover but with three pedals. The later type had a rectangular door held with four screws. According to Archives records, a steel door was designed for use after the first 2500 cars.
Lettered pedals (C, R, B).
1911Wider square-hole, introduced in at about 37,300 (February 1911), used until June when the tapered type with embossed door became standard.
3361 (T-826C) Rectangular hole
3376 (T-826D) Tapered hole
1912Continued in the style of the later 1911 but with Made in USA added to the door. Later in 1912 the door became a simple flat piece of steel. No reinforcing bosses at the bolt holes at the widest part of the aluminum cover.
1912-1915Reinforcing bosses added around the bolt holes to prevent breaking. This modification began as early as 1912 according to factory data but apparently was only used in some production until late 1913. In late 1914 the lettered pedals were replaced with pedals with a ribbed surface. Door was now plain steel.
1916-1919Cast iron cover replaced aluminum in late 1915. Pedals were now smooth surfaced on both the aluminum and iron covers. In 1917 the clutch fork shaft was made shorter and the exposed shaft end on the right side was now enclosed. In 1917 the typical embossed cover door was introduced.
1919-1925Cast iron, similar to 1918 but now made for starter. Door was the pressed steel embossed design. Ford added to the casting during 1919, just above the inspection door. Oil slinger cast in cover beginning July 17, 1924. BENDIX cover was zinc plated in 1919-1920, then painted black. Some early Bendix covers were three-piece assemblies.
1926-1927New larger cover with new, wider pedals. Bolts to rear of engine block.
EVOLUTION OF THE TRANSMISSION COVERNo data has been found on the first transmission covers, T-826 and T-826B. These were the initial pressed-steel and cast aluminum covers which were obsolete by calendar 1909. Not all modifications have been found in the releases at the Ford Archives. Notable would be the addition of the reinforcing ribs on the aluminum covers (believed to have been in 1912-13) and the change to the 1926 style (although that may be the reference to the Australian models.
12-12-08 T-826C. First date (although listed as 12-12-09) 3-3-09 Note on drawing regarding magneto contact boss due to using two styles of magneto spool supports. 3-13-09 Added bosses on door opening for bolts instead of using a spring 7-19-09 Reduced dimension at A from 2-3/8 to 2-1/8 after first 15,000 cars. 1-27-10 Reduced dimension at A from 2-3/8 to 2-1/8 after first 20,500 cars. 12-13-10 T-826D Adopted for use on 1911 models. (Now has sloping inspection plate opening. 5-23-14 T-826C obsolete. 10-4-15 Changed material from aluminum to cast iron. 2-22-16 Numerous small changes in cover. T-79 to be used instead of T-825B as transmission cover bolt. (T-79 is 1/32 shorter than T-825B) 4-16-17 Removed finish from transmission cover door flange. 5-25-17 Removed boss for clutch shaft on right side and specified a blind hole. 7-28-17 Reduced reinforcing ribs around pedal and clutch shafts. 12-5-18 T-826ER Adopted. (Starter type) 3-4-19 Specified Ford script to be sunk in. 12-17-19 Moved four holes for Bendix cover 30 degrees counter-clockwise. 4-6-20 Moved four holes for Bendix cover 30 degrees clockwise. 5-2-20 Removed reinforcing rib from inside of front edge of opening for door to allow oil to splash toward rear end of cover. 12-1-21 T-826DR obsolete. 6-10-24 Added rib on top of flywheel pocket for deflecting oil to transmission bands. 8-22-24 Changed distance between front edge of door opening and notch in oil-deflecting rib from 1-7/8 to 1-3/4 10-8-24 Shortened oil-deflecting rib, specifying front to be located 1-1/8 from front of door opening. 6-30-25 T-826F adopted. Specified for Australian models. 11-24-25 Removed finish from rear side of lugs for bolting cover to cylinder.
TURTLE DECKRunabout: First year used. Design was similar to the 1914-22 style except that the corners were somewhat sharp rather than rounded. Deck handles were forged iron, painted black.
1914-1916Runabout: Small added-on appearing assembly. Corners were rounded. Deck door handles were forged iron, painted black.
Coupelet: Somewhat larger than that of the Runabout, and more integral-looking with the main body. 1915 Coupelet had the door on the rear panel, like a tail gate. 1916 and later deck doors were on the top surface. There were no handles; the door was opened with a key.
1917-1922Runabout: Similar in style to the previous but the handles are now pressed steel.
Coupe and Coupelet: Similar to the previous Coupelet decks with the door on the top.
1923-1925Runabout: Totally redesigned to blend with the body. Larger in size and gently tapering upward from the rear to the seat back. No handles on the deck door; the door was opened with a key as in the Coupes.
Coupe: In June of 1923 the coupe body was completely redesigned and the deck was integral with the body. The deck door opened with a key. This new design was referred to as 1924 models by Ford.
1926-1927Runabout: New and much larger than the 1925 style. The door still opened with a key but the key was much larger than the 1923-25 type.
Coupe: Integral with the body and similar in style to the 1924-25 coupe turtle deck.
TURTLE DECK PARTS
Factory # # used Description T-7772 1 Rear end sill panel T-7767 2 Deck door hinge pin T-7357 1 Sill cover, R T-7358 1 Sill cover, L T-7758 1 Brace T-8021B 1 Door assembly T-7751 1 Panel side, RH T-7752 1 Panel side, LH T-6637 1 Panel & reinforcement assy. T-7800 1 Top panel & hinge assy. T-7759 6 Reinforcement T-7769 1 Reinforcement T-7723 1 Reinforcement T-7721 1 Reinforcement, RH T-7722 1 Reinforcement, LH T-5568 2 Hinge assembly T-5390 1 Rear fender iron, L T-5563 1 Rear fender iron, R T-341 4 Nut (5/16-18) Deck to body bolt td>T-1470 1 Screw (10-32 x 3/4) Battery trap door button T-1599 4 Lock washer ( 5/16-18) Deck to body bolt T-2427 4 Bolt (5/16-18 x 1-1/4) Deck to body T-7168 8 Rivet (1/4 x 3/16 special head) T-7182 10 Rivet T-7264 1 Button, battery trap door RETURN TO MENU© Bruce W. McCalley. Rev. February 11, 2007
GO TO PREVIOUS
GO TO NEXT