|JAN 1||Ford Times|
|1914 cars first illustrated (but had appeared earlier).|
By January of 1914 Ford was using the one-piece driveshaft. A number of modifications had been made to the rear axle in an effort to cut costs. Most of the bronze bushings had been eliminated. The outer housings continued in the style set in 1912 12-rivet type).
|JAN 20||Acc. 575, Ford Archives|
|Since we have never built any right hand control cars
with worm steering gear, we have obsoleted the following worm gear parts. (Obsoleted
1-20-14). (These were T1883-1885, T1427, T4164.)|
The parts used in the LHD worm gear were:
T990 worm, T991 worm gear for 1911 Torpedo and Open Runabouts, T296 Steering ball connecting rod assembly, T5014 steering bracket block, T993 throttle lever rod, T965 steering gear bracket, T988 steering gear bracket for 1911 Torpedo and Open Runabouts, T977 throttle lever rod for repairs, T983and T989 worm steering gear assemblies (for repairs), and T4126 and T5010 worm steering gear assemblies.
T401C cylinder head redesigned with numerous changes in dimensions, thickness, etc. While the dimensions are specified, it is difficult to determine just what the reason was for the changes. Perhaps it was the revision eliminating the lip at the rear of the head.
|FEB 14||Acc.575, Ford Archives|
|T5418. Running board. Changed length from 44-13/16 to
44-3/4; 44-15/16 to 45 inches. (According to another note, these
dimensions were the tolerances in the dimensions.)|
T543B oil tube. Changed radius for bend at rear end of the tube from 1/2 to 3/4. This change was made at the request of the people who are making these tubes because it is hard to make a sharp bend in the lock seam steel tubing from which these tubes are made.. Also added notes specifying sharp corners to be removed from tube at front end. This change was made to facilitate assembling of oil tube to cylinder.
|FEB 24||Acc.575, Ford Archives|
|T4378 and T4378 crankcase bottom flange reinforcement (the
U-shaped pieces with which the bottom inspection plate is held in
place) now two pieces instead of one (T1583) used earlier.|
T509C breather pipe and T685 oil pipe cap changed from sheet brass to cold rolled steel (made from fender scrap).
Note that the two 1-1/4 holes needed to clear the 1913 touring body support bracket bolts were eliminated.
|MAR 18||Ford Archives|
|New commutator shield used beginning with 477,165, this date.
|MAR 21||Acc. 575, Ford Archives|
|T4446 commutator head. specified as Die casting and
|MAR 28||Acc. 575, Ford Archives|
|T5929 Cylinder plug. These plugs are to be used in
cylinder for cylinder head cap screws (which) strip, in which case the holes are
to be drilled out and tapped with a 5/8-18 USS tap, the plug screwed in place,
cut off, drilled and tapped to 7/16-24 USS threads.|
|APR 4||Acc.575, Ford Archives|
|T520 starting crank handle changed from aluminum to cast iron.
|APR 10||Acc. 575, Ford Archives|
|Front wheel hub modified to have bosses for speedometer gear.
The old number (T232B) was specified for right or left for 1911-13, and the
first 250,000 cars (in) 1914 and the new design (T7700) for the right-hand wheel
after 250,000. This change did not appear in any of the parts books.|
On April 14, 1914, this change was obsoleted and noted that it had never been used. Instead, all front hubs were made standard with the bosses and this then could be used on either side, with the modified part remaining T232B.
|APR 21||Ford Archives|
|Engine 500,000 built at 10 A.M. Note: Ford is now on track.
This was engine number 500,000.|
|MAY 2||Acc. 575, Ford Archives|
|Parts specified for 1915 coil unit. These parts
are the pieces that make up the coil itself, not the coil box. Part numbers
ranged from T6740 to T6794.|
T232B front hub again modified, removing the ribs specified earlier and replacing them with a shoulder in the form of a ring around the hub. This change was made at the request of the W.K. Pruden Wheel Company who made the hub castings. On May 22, another modification was made in the height of this collar.
|MAY 5||Acc. 575, Ford Archives|
|T7472 ratchet transmission band wrench noted. It was not new,
being used in production under the part number 16Z-1411 which was a drawing
|MAY 30||Acc. 575, Ford Archives|
|T7609 universal joint housing noted as new design and that
T70, the present design was to be used for repairs only. T70 is the housing on
the two-piece driveshaft; T7609 is for the new one-piece
type used from then on.|
|JUN 11||Acc. 575, Ford Archives|
|T2654 front fender peak specified. A new design,
this may have been the front lip (or bill) which appeared in 1914 before the
1915 models. (The 1913 and early 1914 fenders had no bill.)|
Numerous changes were made in the front fenders and splash aprons at this time.
|JUN 17||Acc. 575, Ford Archives|
|T292 front radius rod ball cap spring. Specified that the
spring be would left-hand instead of right-hand because when tightening the
right-hand coils tend to unwind.|
|JUN 25||Acc. 575, Ford Archives|
|T5929 cylinder plugs. Specified diameter of threads to be
changed from 5/8 to .627-.628 so as to conform with standard taps.
|JUL 15||Acc. 575, Ford Archives|
|T240B hub cap. Specified that background be black enameled
instead of oxidized.|
|JUL 17||Acc. 575, Ford Archives|
|Numerous changes in cylinder head dimensions. Reason for
changes not given.|
|JUL 20||Acc. 575, Ford Archives|
|T5634 (new) magneto coil assembly (16 required) to be used
after the first 250,000 1914 cars.|
|JUL 29||Acc. 1701, Box 2, Ford Archives|
|We have called for the fillet with 1/8 radius at
point where pedal connects with foot pad. Also removed letters and replaced
pyramids with ridges running lengthwise of pad. This change was made to prevent
feet from sliding off pedals and is to take place in all dies when they are
being constructed at the present time, and on all other dies when they are being
re-sunk. We wil, of course, use up the forgings which we have on hand.
(Joseph Galamb). Note: the actually change to the ribbed pedals came later in the
year. The ribs were discontinued sometime after March 1915.|
|AUG 1||Acc. 509, Letter, Ford Archives|
|Prices: Touring, $490. Runabout, $440. Town Car, $690. Prices do not
include a possible $40 to $60 rebate pending on the sale of 300,000 cars by August 1, 1915.
Rebate to be made to the original purchasers of the cars only.|
|AUG12||Acc. 575, Ford Archives|
|Note that letters are to be removed from pedals to prevent
slipping, and are to be replaced with ribs. The pedals on hand were to be used
and apparently were for some time. The ribbed pedals were used in early 1915
(perhaps late 1914) but the smooth pedals were specified in March 1915.|
|AUG 26||Ford Archives|
|Start one hole in center main bearing.|
|AUG 28||Acc. 575, Ford Archives|
|1915 rear axle parts described, for all
1915 models. This was to be the finalmajor revision of the rear
|SEP 4||Engine production records, Ford Archives|
|New style coils began with 572,437.|
|SEP 5||Acc. 575, Ford Archives|
|The steering gear assembly (the gear box under the steering
wheel) revised to new one-piece design. Made of type W bronze.
|SEP 14||Engine production records, Ford Archives|
|Start 3/4-inch magnets with 578,042.|
|SEP 19||Acc. 575, Ford Archives|
|Tube specified for headlight wire across lower part of
radiator. To be made of defective radiator tubes. Old tube for gas lamps is to
be discontinued. Holes are added in side walls of radiator and this new tube is
to be put in place by spreading the radiator fins and is to then be soldered in
|SEP 22||Acc. 575, Ford Archives|
|Note specifying that the spark/throttle quadrant is to be
|SEP 23||Acc. 509, Letter, Ford Archives|
|Sedan and Coupelet announced.|
|SEP 23||Acc. 833, Photo 1527, Ford Archives|
|Photo of 1915 Coupelet. Shows fork-mounted electric headlamps.
|SEP 23||Acc. 833, Photo 1528, Ford Archives|
|Photo of same Coupelet, rear view, shows 1914 rear axle.
|SEP 23||Acc. 833, Photo 1621, Ford Archives|
|Photo of 1915 Sedan. Fork-mounted headlamps and lantern-like side
lamp. Curved front and rear fenders.|
|SEP 23||Acc. 833, Photo 1546, Ford Archives|
|Photo of 1915 Sedan with gas headlamps.|
|SEP 23||Acc. 833, Photo 1470, Ford Archives|
|Photo of 1915-style Touring with odd post-mounted electric headlamps,
no louvers in the hood, brass steering wheel spider and 1914-type steering gear
|SEP 23||Acc. 833, Photo 1633, Ford Archives|
|Photo of 1915 Touring, now with louvered hood.|
|OCT 12||Ford Archives|
|All motors used new coils and 3/4-inch magnets. The new
magneto began with #578,042. (Engine production records show 572,437, September
4, which is believed to be the correct number.)|
|NOV 2||Acc. 509, Letter, Ford Archives|
|Prices of Sedan, $565. Coupelet, $340.|
|DEC 12||Acc. 1701, Model T Drawings, Ford Archives|
|Malleable iron rear tail light/license bracket design for
1915 models. This bracket is of a two-piece design so that the same parts could
be used on either right or left-hand drive cars by reversing the license plate
support. The two parts were f/n T-7471 and T-7259.|
|DEC 19||Acc. 509, Letter, Ford Archives|
|Longer intake manifold announced for Sedans.|
|DEC 24||Acc. 509, Letter, Ford Archives|
|Longer intake manifold announced December 19 to be
discontinued in favor of the use of the Kingston carburetor which has better
fuel flow (sedans only).|
|DEC 31||Factory Letter, Ford Archives|
|All sedans equipped with Kingston carburetors because of better fuel
flow. 5/16-inch pipe recommended. The longer intake manifolds were
furnished as a field modification.|
GO TO 1913
GO TO 1915
|© Bruce W. McCalley. Rev. February 20, 2007|