Lubrication points

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Lubrication points
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patton Lee on Friday, July 29, 2011 - 07:52 pm:

What type of lubricant do you used and put into those piviot points with the snap caps? On ours all those point has no residued of any kind of lubricant. Grease or gear oil?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Friday, July 29, 2011 - 08:32 pm:

Those little flip-top cans are called oilers because you put oil in them. Some folks use chain saw oil because it lasts longer than motor oil. The ones that have screw-on caps are called grease cups, and they take grease. On some old cars the oilers and grease cups need to have the old oil/dirt or grease/dirt cleaned out of them before they're usable. Some of the parts dealers sell a handy lubrication chart that shows all the lube points. It costs about $6.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska - Denver Colorado on Friday, July 29, 2011 - 10:52 pm:

Patton,

I use the 600w oil sold for rear ends in the flip top oilers and have done it for many years. For what it is worth it clings like nothing else I have found but still will find its way into every area. Your mileage may vary.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, July 29, 2011 - 11:49 pm:

This might help until you can buy a fancy one. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Friday, July 29, 2011 - 11:53 pm:

I use 140 gear oil. Same reasons that Paul uses the 600W. The 140 is a lot easier to find and I think works just as good for this purpose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren. (Australia) on Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 03:35 am:

Notice that the chart that Ken posted has no lube for the rear outer wheel bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Utphall on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 11:22 pm:

I think Henry's book also called for oil on the brake rod hangers in back- every 200, I thnk?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew K. Deckman on Friday, August 05, 2011 - 01:55 pm:

I have to use the gallons of gas for lub. 5 gallons equall 100 mi. If something needs a change or add every 600 mi like the differental thats 30 gallons of gas.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration