New Member here

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: New Member here
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Adcox on Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 08:40 am:

I just purchased a 26 fordor, it looks original. looking forward to working on it see attachments

photo 1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James on Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 08:55 am:

Looks like you got something nice there John. I like that roof luggage rack! Is she running yet? I am new to the Model T myself, I have a '25 runabout I picked up in October. I wanted to find a nice project car like yours so I could tinker, but everybody kept buying them just before I found out were they were hidden. I ended up finding a Model A project instead so my T has company out in the barn. Very cool looking car, do you plan a full resto, or get it running and keep her as is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny on Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 09:00 am:

John,

A safety inspection of the steering, bearings, and rear end a gallon of gas, and a quart of oil and your off to a "T" adventure! All though this is the first fordor I've seen with the luggage rack on the roof instead of the running boards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Adcox on Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 09:10 am:

I don't really know what a full resto is but I plan to keep it bone stock, well as much as I can. I was amazed at some of the prices of parts. As far as I can tell just looking at it it needs headlights and inside door handles thats about it. I also have a couple of other fords, 29 Model A and 37 2 dr Hump. Both, dare I say street rodded. But the T will stay stock. The guy I bought it from said the guy he bought it from said it ran. I said they all ran at one time HA.
I am currently just cleaning the fuel system out. What restoration book do you recommend that would be helpful? Still reading past posts to get up to speed. I am so new that I did not know what the third pedel was for in the car. It will be a challenge looking forward to the wood working. Cheers
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 09:54 am:

John,
Welcome, get the reprints of the Ford Service Manual (a must) & the owner's instruction book (Q & A). Les Henry's Red book is somewhat outdated but helpful. All the vendors have them.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 10:02 am:

John

Nice looking Fordor, welcome to the world of Henry's car that shaped the automotive industry.

Here are some of the books you can collect and they will help you with learning about the T.
Avail from all the vendors, click on the links at the club's homepage.

Dan

The black cover one is the Ford Service manual, you will be needing that one for sure.

A 'full resto' would be restoration back to factory new....:-) But even bringing them back to fun driver and not new is a blast too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Rigdon on Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 11:38 am:

Nice looking project John. I've been buying, selling, restoring and collecting old cars for over 60 years and have found none that I enjoy more than my 1925 Fordor (see profile). It is always a big hit with the "non car people". Ours is nearly original except for the upholstery, so if you need any detailed pics to assist in your restoration, please let me know.

Bill Rigdon
wpr@tabletoptelephone.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 12:46 pm:

John,
It looks pretty sound to me. You need to make some choices now. Fix what you need to get it running and lights that work etc. and leave it unrestored and drive it as it is. Or paint it and leave as is, or complete restoration. If you choose to leave it as is and get it running, you can always restore it later if you wish to do so. In fact that might be the best way to go. You can familiarize yourself with the car and learn to drive and maintain it while doing research into the books suggested above, and meeting others who have the same type car and examine theirs and talk to them about what they did, who did it and what they like or dislike about the car and the work done. Then when you have more knowledge, you can restore yours.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 03:08 pm:

Hello and welcome, John

Very cool. Your going to have a ton of fun with your T. I also have the 26 Fordor(see profile);though still a work in progress. When your are on this forum,you are at ground zero for information on the Model T Ford.
Again John, welcome.

Harvey ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 03:10 pm:

Get it mechanically sound, fix the roof and visor, (I assume it does have headlights and a radiator shroud). Replace the rear window and anything else to make it complete, wash it and drive it.
They're only "original" once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 03:15 pm:

I have the twin to your car. Been Dad bought it in 1960, for $150.00 If we parked them side by side, they would look identical.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 03:16 pm:

Oops. Ours has wire wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 06:01 pm:

John,

1. Welcome to a great hobby. There are several Model T Clubs in Colorado. The closest one to Whitewater is the lots of clubs in the Colorado High Peaks T's which is a chapter of the Model T Ford Club International (MTFCI). The point of contact is listed as: Benjy Kuehling; PO Box 541; Ouray, CO 81427 in one place and as . Bill Barth; 14901 C R 31.9 ; Weston CO 81091 US on the MTFCI site. I would guess either one could help you but Bill is probably the most current point of contact.
If I googled it correctly you are about 88 miles from Benjy and 389 miles from Bill. Their club may do what ours does – we move the meeting location around the state to make it easier for folks to attend. There are also some other Model T Clubs in Colorado see: http://mtfca.com/clubpages/chapters.htm Strongly recommend you make contact with some of them and find out who is the closest person with a Fordor and also who is the closest that has the time and interest to be of help.

2. Caution: In the flat lands – if you loose your brakes it isn’t as bad or scarry as when you are going down a mountain. Ok you can still get killed but at least the car doesn’t start going faster than when you tried to stop and discovered the brakes failed. Unless you have a modified braking system – even when it rolled off the assembly line a Model T Ford has poor brakes compared to a modern car – as the Ford brakes only stop the rear wheels. If a part fails (usually the babbit thrust washers in the rear axle but several others could also cause the problem) – then the primary brake on the transmission drum will stop the drive shaft but NOT the car. At that point the 1926-27 Fords have a great advantage over the earlier Fords. The 1926-27 has an 11 inch emergency brake drum with a lined brake shoe. But be sure to check that it works. Of the Model Ts my Dad drove when he was growing up – none of them had a good emergency brake (yes – they should have – but they didn’t). And of the three Model Ts he purchased – only one of them still had the brake shoes attached and it needed adjusting so it would hold.

3. Caution: The Model T Fordor had a wooden body skelton that the metal panels were tacked onto. If the wood is gone and/or really poor condition it is possible to hit bump, go around a corner fast etc. and the body will fall apart. If the doors open and close easily without the body changing shape that is a good sign. From the single picture you posted it appears you car’s metal is in great shape but I cannot tell what the wood is like. Are those wooden braces holding the body together on the inside or just some “x” pieces of wood or something stored in the car? The front driver’s door appears to have about an 1/2 sag in it. That can be corrected – but if you are lifting up on the door to close it and the body is shifting – that is not a good sign. You do not want the door to fly open as you go around a corner (good news – you have a steering wheel to hold onto – which is better than if the passenger door flies open). It can cause injury but it can also harm the door. It looks like the top wood is missing? If so that will also make the body more flexible than normal. But check it out before you drive it to make sure it is safe. If it is sound and the doors are just not staying latched – you can wire or rope them closed for your test drives.

4. You will probably want to review the information about bringing a Model T Ford out of mothballs. It used to be readily available at the Towe Auto Museum web site. But they changed the name in Mar 2009 and on the new web site I have not been able to find it yet. It is still available as a “cached” item from Google at: http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:vLMdzX5sQ2kJ:toweautomuseum.org/html/3.html+ removing+a+model+T+Ford+from+mothballs&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us If that doesn’t work – go to Google and type in “Removing a Model T From Mothballs and it will bring up the cached version. It has some excellent advice and will save you some “rework.” Be careful DO NOT LET THE BATTERY CURRENT RUN INTO THE MAGNETO POST which is located on top of the transmission. That will demagnetize your magneto. Milt Webb who wrote that article also has turned it into a 3 part DVD available from: http://modeltstore.myshopify.com/products/restoration-videos (it supports the club if I recall correctly) the Vendors such as Lang’s, Snyder’s etc. also sell them. You want 8-3; 8-4, & 8-5. Description is below:
A DVD version is available at: -3 Taking a Model T out of Mothballs— Part 1
Milt Webb shows just what to do to get a T running after many years of sitting in a barn. In addition, he shows what should be done to make that T ready for durable touring. Run Time: 56 min. 58 sec.
• 8-4 Taking a T out of Mothballs—Part 2. More of Milt Webb’s tips and demonstrations. Run Time: 1 hr. 09 min. 08 sec.
•8-5 Taking a T out of Mothballs—Part 3. Milt shows us more and we take a tour of two old Model T’s that have been revived from being stored for long periods of time. Run Time: 53 min. 09 sec.
5. Some other posting to check out:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/49201.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/39493.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/39907.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/25938.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/47554.html

6. Again welcome aboard – I think you will have a ball with your new Ford and the new friends you will be meeting.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 19l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration