|#||Price effective September 2, 1921.|
|##||Price effective January 16, 1922.|
|###||Price effective October 17, 1922.|
|*||January 1, 1922 to December 31, 1922. Includes foreign production.)|
|**||Includes starter and demountable wheels.|
|***||An additional 50,266 units were made in Canada.|
Note: Starter was an option on the open cars at $70. Weight 95 lbs. Demountable rims were an additional $25. Weight 55 lbs.
ENGINE SERIAL NUMBERS: 5,568,002 to 6,953,071 calendar year. 5,377,546 to 6,344,196 fiscal year (August 1, 1921 to July 31, 1922.)
MODEL YEAR DATES: August 1921 to September 1922.
BODY TYPES: Touring, Runabout, Sedan, Coupe, Chassis and Truck chassis.
MAJOR MODEL YEAR FEATURES:New body construction on touring cars (introduced in 1921 models). Rear section is now three pieces with quarter panels integral with the side panels. Seats were lower; the top irons now extended through the quarter panel (instead of the L iron previously used). Instrument panel was supplied on all cars. A blanking plate was used to cover the hole where the ammeter would be, on the non-electric models.
Centerdoor sedans had solid roof panel, latch-type window lifts, and metal over the door and window posts instead of the painted wood seen before. The Coupe was modified to now have the latch-type window raisers. In addition, the previously exposed window and door sills were now covered with metal, as on the Sedan.
FORDOR SEDAN: Introduced in December 1922, the all-new four door sedan had an aluminum body. No cowl vent on the early models, the low radiator. This was a 1923 model, as were the Touring and Runabouts built after September 1922.
The engine casting was modified in November 1921 to use the one-piece valve door, and by April 1922, all engines were of the new type.
COLORS: All cars were painted black, with black fenders.
UPHOLSTERY: Imitation leather in the open cars. The pattern was a stitched vertical pleat design on both seat bottoms and backs. Closed car upholstery was gray cloth with a lined pattern but was changed to a brown color during the year.
FENDERS: Unchanged since 1917.
SPLASH APRON: Unchanged since 1917.
RUNNING BOARDS: Unchanged since 1914 except that the diamonds were not as sharp, probably due to wear on the dies that pressed them.
HOOD: Steel. Hold-down clamps had two ears and were made of pressed steel. Handles were pressed steel but were now made in such a way that they could be fastened to the hood without a separate rivet. (A hole appears where the rivet was.)
DASHBOARD (Firewall): Wood, fitted outside the front cowl, hidden by the metal cowl weather strip.
CHASSIS: Same as 1921. Painted black.
STEERING COLUMN ASSEMBLY: Pressed steel, black painted, quadrant, Zinc-plated spark and throttle levers, with flattened metal ends. Gear case was brass but zinc plated, one piece assembly. Wheel was 16 outside diameter, made of Fordite (synthetic material), and painted black. The wheel spider was now pressed steel and painted black. Horn button no longer the combination light/horn type since all cars now had the light switch on the instrument panel.
FRONT AXLE: Same as the 1921 cars. A new one-piece spindle was used for a short time (February to May) then discontinued.
REAR AXLE: Same as 1921.
DRIVESHAFT HOUSING: Same as 1921.
REAR RADIUS AND BRAKE RODS: Radius rods now were of seamed construction, requiring a right and left side (the seam must face down to allow water to leak out).
WHEELS: Used 30 by 3 tires in front; 30 by 3-1/2 in the rear. Front wheels used taper-roller (Timken) bearings except in the non-starter, non-demountable open cars. Hub caps were the same as the redesigned 1921 type. Demountable-rim wheels were standard on closed cars, and optional on the open models; used 30 by 3-1/2 tires all around.
SPRINGS: Non-tapered, front and rear. L shaped shackles of the forged type. Oilers were pressed into the springs.
RADIATOR: Same as that used since 1919.
ENGINE: Same as 1920. In November 1921 the valve chambers were altered and the engine now had one long cover plate instead of the two used since 1911. Starter was still optional on the open cars.
ENGINE PAN: Unchanged from 1921.
OIL FILLER CAP: The mushroom-shaped cap, made of steel, with three flutes.
ENGINE CRANK: The plain steel sleeve type as used since 1914 was replaced with the one piece type with the rolled-in-place sheet metal handle sleeve.
ENGINE FAN: Same as 1920.
MANIFOLDS: Unchanged from previous years.
CARBURETORS: Kingston Model L4, Holley Model NH, or Ford F.
CARBURETOR STOVE: Sheet metal type which rose vertically at the rear of the carburetor and mated with the exhaust manifold at the rear corner, being held by the rear manifold retaining stud/nut.
MUFFLER: Pressed steel type with no tail pipe.
FUEL TANK: Elliptical, under the front seat. Mounting brackets clamped to the tank. Outlet was between the center and the right side, between the frame rails. The Sedan continued the square tank under the drivers seat. The Coupe used the sedan tank located in the turtle deck.
TRANSMISSION: Three pedal standard-design. Pedals were of the plain type. Transmission cover was cast iron, and modified to accept the starter. Tapered inspection door, held with six screws. The door was of pressed steel with an embossed pattern.
COIL BOX ASSEMBLY: Ford, same as used in 1920, but no longer had the ignition switch on the box. The switch was on the instrument panel on all cars.
LAMPS: Magneto powered electric type on the non-starter cars, and six volt electric on the starter models. Black steel rims, with Ford H lens. Side and tail lamps were similar to 1917 on the non-starter cars. Starter cars had a small electric tail light and did not have side lights.
HORN: Magneto powered electric on non-starter cars, but six volt vibrator type on starter models, new this year.
WINDSHIELD: Upright, with top section that folded to the rear. Frame was bolted to the brackets. Painted black. Unchanged from 1921.
TOP: (Open cars). Top color was black on all open cars. Unchanged from 1921.
SPEEDOMETER: Not standard equipment.
TURTLE DECK (on Runabout): Similar in style to the 1921. Handles were pressed steel and painted black.
© Bruce W. McCalley. Rev. January 29, 2007