JAN 1 Ford Times 1914 cars first illustrated (but had appeared earlier).
By January of 1914 Ford was using the one-piece driveshaft. A number of modifications had been made to the rear axle in an effort to cut costs. Most of the bronze bushings had been eliminated. The outer housings continued in the style set in 1912 12-rivet type).
JAN 20 Acc. 575, Ford Archives Since we have never built any right hand control cars with worm steering gear, we have obsoleted the following worm gear parts. (Obsoleted 1-20-14). (These were T1883-1885, T1427, T4164.)
The parts used in the LHD worm gear were:
T990 worm, T991 worm gear for 1911 Torpedo and Open Runabouts, T296 Steering ball connecting rod assembly, T5014 steering bracket block, T993 throttle lever rod, T965 steering gear bracket, T988 steering gear bracket for 1911 Torpedo and Open Runabouts, T977 throttle lever rod for repairs, T983and T989 worm steering gear assemblies (for repairs), and T4126 and T5010 worm steering gear assemblies.
T401C cylinder head redesigned with numerous changes in dimensions, thickness, etc. While the dimensions are specified, it is difficult to determine just what the reason was for the changes. Perhaps it was the revision eliminating the lip at the rear of the head.
FEB 14 Acc.575, Ford Archives T5418. Running board. Changed length from 44-13/16 to 44-3/4; 44-15/16 to 45 inches. (According to another note, these dimensions were the tolerances in the dimensions.)
T543B oil tube. Changed radius for bend at rear end of the tube from 1/2 to 3/4. This change was made at the request of the people who are making these tubes because it is hard to make a sharp bend in the lock seam steel tubing from which these tubes are made.. Also added notes specifying sharp corners to be removed from tube at front end. This change was made to facilitate assembling of oil tube to cylinder.
FEB 24 Acc.575, Ford Archives T4378 and T4378 crankcase bottom flange reinforcement (the U-shaped pieces with which the bottom inspection plate is held in place) now two pieces instead of one (T1583) used earlier.
T509C breather pipe and T685 oil pipe cap changed from sheet brass to cold rolled steel (made from fender scrap).
Note that the two 1-1/4 holes needed to clear the 1913 touring body support bracket bolts were eliminated.
MAR 18 Ford Archives New commutator shield used beginning with 477,165, this date.
MAR 21 Acc. 575, Ford Archives T4446 commutator head. specified as Die casting and brass designs.
MAR 28 Acc. 575, Ford Archives T5929 Cylinder plug. These plugs are to be used in cylinder for cylinder head cap screws (which) strip, in which case the holes are to be drilled out and tapped with a 5/8-18 USS tap, the plug screwed in place, cut off, drilled and tapped to 7/16-24 USS threads.
APR 4 Acc.575, Ford Archives T520 starting crank handle changed from aluminum to cast iron.
APR 10 Acc. 575, Ford Archives Front wheel hub modified to have bosses for speedometer gear. The old number (T232B) was specified for right or left for 1911-13, and the first 250,000 cars (in) 1914 and the new design (T7700) for the right-hand wheel after 250,000. This change did not appear in any of the parts books.
On April 14, 1914, this change was obsoleted and noted that it had never been used. Instead, all front hubs were made standard with the bosses and this then could be used on either side, with the modified part remaining T232B.
APR 21 Ford Archives Engine 500,000 built at 10 A.M. Note: Ford is now on track. This was engine number 500,000.
MAY 2 Acc. 575, Ford Archives Parts specified for 1915 coil unit. These parts are the pieces that make up the coil itself, not the coil box. Part numbers ranged from T6740 to T6794.
T232B front hub again modified, removing the ribs specified earlier and replacing them with a shoulder in the form of a ring around the hub. This change was made at the request of the W.K. Pruden Wheel Company who made the hub castings. On May 22, another modification was made in the height of this collar.
MAY 5 Acc. 575, Ford Archives T7472 ratchet transmission band wrench noted. It was not new, being used in production under the part number 16Z-1411 which was a drawing number.
MAY 30 Acc. 575, Ford Archives T7609 universal joint housing noted as new design and that T70, the present design was to be used for repairs only. T70 is the housing on the two-piece driveshaft; T7609 is for the new one-piece type used from then on.
JUN 11 Acc. 575, Ford Archives T2654 front fender peak specified. A new design, this may have been the front lip (or bill) which appeared in 1914 before the 1915 models. (The 1913 and early 1914 fenders had no bill.)
Numerous changes were made in the front fenders and splash aprons at this time.
JUN 17 Acc. 575, Ford Archives T292 front radius rod ball cap spring. Specified that the spring be would left-hand instead of right-hand because when tightening the right-hand coils tend to unwind.
JUN 25 Acc. 575, Ford Archives T5929 cylinder plugs. Specified diameter of threads to be changed from 5/8 to .627-.628 so as to conform with standard taps.
JUL 15 Acc. 575, Ford Archives T240B hub cap. Specified that background be black enameled instead of oxidized.
JUL 17 Acc. 575, Ford Archives Numerous changes in cylinder head dimensions. Reason for changes not given.
JUL 20 Acc. 575, Ford Archives T5634 (new) magneto coil assembly (16 required) to be used after the first 250,000 1914 cars.
JUL 29 Acc. 1701, Box 2, Ford Archives We have called for the fillet with 1/8 radius at point where pedal connects with foot pad. Also removed letters and replaced pyramids with ridges running lengthwise of pad. This change was made to prevent feet from sliding off pedals and is to take place in all dies when they are being constructed at the present time, and on all other dies when they are being re-sunk. We wil, of course, use up the forgings which we have on hand. (Joseph Galamb). Note: the actually change to the ribbed pedals came later in the year. The ribs were discontinued sometime after March 1915.
AUG 1 Acc. 509, Letter, Ford Archives Prices: Touring, $490. Runabout, $440. Town Car, $690. Prices do not include a possible $40 to $60 rebate pending on the sale of 300,000 cars by August 1, 1915. Rebate to be made to the original purchasers of the cars only.
AUG12 Acc. 575, Ford Archives Note that letters are to be removed from pedals to prevent slipping, and are to be replaced with ribs. The pedals on hand were to be used and apparently were for some time. The ribbed pedals were used in early 1915 (perhaps late 1914) but the smooth pedals were specified in March 1915.
AUG 26 Ford Archives Start one hole in center main bearing.
AUG 28 Acc. 575, Ford Archives 1915 rear axle parts described, for all 1915 models. This was to be the finalmajor revision of the rear axle assembly.
SEP 4 Engine production records, Ford Archives New style coils began with 572,437.
SEP 5 Acc. 575, Ford Archives The steering gear assembly (the gear box under the steering wheel) revised to new one-piece design. Made of type W bronze.
SEP 14 Engine production records, Ford Archives Start 3/4-inch magnets with 578,042.
SEP 19 Acc. 575, Ford Archives Tube specified for headlight wire across lower part of radiator. To be made of defective radiator tubes. Old tube for gas lamps is to be discontinued. Holes are added in side walls of radiator and this new tube is to be put in place by spreading the radiator fins and is to then be soldered in place.
SEP 22 Acc. 575, Ford Archives Note specifying that the spark/throttle quadrant is to be brass plated.
SEP 23 Acc. 509, Letter, Ford Archives Sedan and Coupelet announced.
SEP 23 Acc. 833, Photo 1527, Ford Archives Photo of 1915 Coupelet. Shows fork-mounted electric headlamps.
SEP 23 Acc. 833, Photo 1528, Ford Archives Photo of same Coupelet, rear view, shows 1914 rear axle.
SEP 23 Acc. 833, Photo 1621, Ford Archives Photo of 1915 Sedan. Fork-mounted headlamps and lantern-like side lamp. Curved front and rear fenders.
SEP 23 Acc. 833, Photo 1546, Ford Archives Photo of 1915 Sedan with gas headlamps.
SEP 23 Acc. 833, Photo 1470, Ford Archives Photo of 1915-style Touring with odd post-mounted electric headlamps, no louvers in the hood, brass steering wheel spider and 1914-type steering gear box.
SEP 23 Acc. 833, Photo 1633, Ford Archives Photo of 1915 Touring, now with louvered hood.
OCT 12 Ford Archives All motors used new coils and 3/4-inch magnets. The new magneto began with #578,042. (Engine production records show 572,437, September 4, which is believed to be the correct number.)
NOV 2 Acc. 509, Letter, Ford Archives Prices of Sedan, $565. Coupelet, $340.
DEC 12 Acc. 1701, Model T Drawings, Ford Archives Malleable iron rear tail light/license bracket design for 1915 models. This bracket is of a two-piece design so that the same parts could be used on either right or left-hand drive cars by reversing the license plate support. The two parts were f/n T-7471 and T-7259.
DEC 19 Acc. 509, Letter, Ford Archives Longer intake manifold announced for Sedans.
DEC 24 Acc. 509, Letter, Ford Archives Longer intake manifold announced December 19 to be discontinued in favor of the use of the Kingston carburetor which has better fuel flow (sedans only).
DEC 31 Factory Letter, Ford Archives All sedans equipped with Kingston carburetors because of better fuel flow. 5/16-inch pipe recommended. The longer intake manifolds were furnished as a field modification.
© Bruce W. McCalley. Rev. February 20, 2007