ENGINES GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS Bore/Stroke 3-3/4 by 4″ Displacement 176.7 cu” Brake H.P. 22 at 1600 R.P.M. 20 at 1600 after 1912 N.A.C.C. H.P. 22.5 Torque 83 ft/lbs at 900 R.P.M. Compression Ratio 4.5:1 approx. 4.1:1 after 1912 3.98:1 after 1916
EARLY T ENGINES
We have found an artists picture showing the top view of the prototype Model T motor that was probably made before the change from two levers/three pedals to two levers/two pedals. The picture appears on page four of the October 1, 1908 Ford Times. The reason I believe that it is of the prototype is primarily because of the handle on the transmission cover door. Instead of being hex-shaped, it is long and thin, not unlike the handle on an early oil check petcock. I have seen the drawing for the transmission cover door handle that looks like this in the drawings collection at the Ford Archives and it was declared obsolete before the start of production. When you look at this picture you will note the lack of water passage holes in the block and the head and the lack of a magneto contact post. It even looks as though the flywheel pit in the transmission cover is narrower— not enough room for magnets and a coil ring. We know that magneto development was begun only about December 1907 and it appears that the prototype shown in the advance catalog may not have had one.
(Early water-pump engines)
Ser. # 1 to 309 1 to 2500 (Model year, October 1, 1908 to May 1909)
S/N (serial number) located between center exhaust ports. Gear driven water pump and fan. Oil pipe on left front side. 3/8″ head bolts on first 500, 7/16″ later. No babbitt in upper main or camshaft bearings. Open valve chambers. Flat-top pistons with three or four rings, some with all rings above the pin and some with one ring below. Piston pin was held in the piston with one bolt. The connecting rods had bronze bushings for the pin, and oil dippers as an integral part of the crankshaft end.
Ser. # 310 to 14,161 (calendar year 1909).
2501 to 8,100 model year
(May 1, 1909 to July 31, 1909.)
Note: Ford’s published data shows 1 to 11,100 built between Oct. 1, 1908 and Sept. 30, 1909.
S/N on boss behind cam gear housing on right side of engine. No babbitt in upper main or camshaft bearings. Thermo-syphon cooling. Piston pin now turned in the piston and was clamped in the rod. Oil dippers on connecting rod caps were discontinued.
The cylinder head now has the “Ford” in script cast between the center cylinders. This style head continued until mid-1912 with minor variations due to the casting molds.
Intake opened with piston down 7/64″ After T.D.C. (13/64″ above) *
Intake closed with piston up 3/8″ After B.D.C. (3-5/16″ below) *
Exhaust opened with piston up 3/8″ Before B.D.C. (3-5/16″ below) *
Exhaust closed with piston down 1/16″ After T.D.C. (19/64″ above) *
* Piston position from top of cylinder.
Ser. # 14,162 to 34,901 calendar 1910.
8,101 to 31,500 approx., model year.
(Aug. 1, 1909 to Oct. 1, 1910.)
Note: Ford’s published data shows 11,101 to 31,900 between Oct. 1, 1909 and Sept. 30, 1910.
Same as 1909. In March the magneto magnets were enlarged from 1/2 to 9/16″ (beginning about 17,501). In April the magnets were again changed to 5/8″ (beginning with 20,501).
Ser. # 34,902 to 88,900 approx., calendar year.
31,500 to 70,750 approx., fiscal year. (Oct. 1, 1910 to Oct. 1, 1911).
Note: Ford’s published data shows 31,901 to 69,876 built between Oct. 1, 1910 and Sept. 30, 1911.
Same as 1910 until 38,263 (February 14) when babbitt began to be used in the upper main bearings. This may have occurred along with the enclosed valve chambers, also introduced about this time. Beginning with 46,326 (April 7) all engines were the new type with the enclosed valve chambers. Valve doors were secured with wing nuts (f/n T655) initially but these were replaced with T517 hex nuts about November 7, 1911. The inspection plate was heavier and had a sharp embossing pattern. It was secured with a one-piece bolt collar. In late 1911 the oil pipe (inside the engine) funnel was enlarged from 5/8″ wide to 3/4″ and the length from 1″ to 1-1/2″
Ser. # 95,550 to 183,563 approx.
B1 to B12,247, October 1 to December 31, 1912.
69,877 to 157,424 approx., fiscal year.
(Oct. 1, 1911 to Oct. 1, 1912)
Note: Ford’s published data shows 69,877 to 157,205 built between Oct. 1, 1911 and Sept. 30, 1912.
(Revised during 1912, and typical through 1927)
Intake opened with piston down 1/16″ After T.D.C. (1/4″ above) *
Intake closed with piston up 9/16″ After B.D.C. (3-1/8″ below) *
Exhaust opened with piston up 5/16″ Before B.D.C. (3-3/8″ below) *
Exhaust closed with piston at T.D.C. (5/16″ below) *
* Piston position from top of cylinder.
Same general design as later 1911. Serial number boss moved to position behind the water inlet at about 100,000, then to the standard position above the inlet a short time later (both types appearing simultaneously for a time). By the end of 1912 all were in the final location. The cylinder head was modified somewhat, lowering the compression, and was provided with holes for priming cups on the left edge. These were dropped during 1913 production. “Made in USA” was added under the Ford script on either side of the right-hand center bolt hole.
Ser. # 183,564 to 408,347, calendar year
157,425 to 348,735 approx. and B-1 to B-12,247, fiscal year.
(Oct. 1, 1912 to Oct. 1, 1913).
Note: Ford’s published data shows 169,452 to 370,147, plus B1 to B12,247 built between Oct. 1, 1912 and Sept. 30, 1913. The “B-numbered” engines were built in the latter part of 1912 and were installed in 1913 models built between October 1912 and January 1913. It appears that there is a gap of the regular serial numbers between 157### and 169###.)
Same as 1912 type. Last year the screw-in pipe plugs were used to seal the water jackets. Welch plugs were used beginning about 200,000 (February) and in all production after about 450,000. Compression ratio lowered to about 4:1. Brake H.P. now 20. Last year for flat-top pistons. Inspection plate bolt collar was now two pieces.
Some cylinder heads drilled on left side for priming cups; these holes being filled with 1/8″ pipe plugs. The “Made in USA” was relocated with the “Made” between the right-rear side bolt holes, and the “in USA” between the two right-front side bolt holes.
During the year the redesigned cylinder casting appeared. It had slightly larger water jackets with holes covered with welch plugs. The “lip” at the rear no longer appeared; the casting now gently sloped to match the cylinder head.
Ser. # 408,348 to 656,063, calendar year
348,736 to 670,000 approx. model year.
(Oct. 1, 1913 to Mid-Jan. 1915, approx.).
Note: Ford’s published data shows 370,148 to 570,790 built between Oct. 1, 1913 and July 31, 1914
Magneto magnets increased to 3/4″ beginning with 572,437 (September. 4) and on all engines after 598,042 (October. 2, 1914).
Ser. # 656,064 to 1,028,313, calendar year
670,000 to 856,513 approx., model year
(Jan. 1915 to Aug. 1, 1915).
Ford’s published data shows 570,791 to 773,487 built between Aug. 1, 1914 and Apr. 30, 1915, and 773,488 to 855,500 built between May 1, 1915 and July 31, 1915.
Connecting rods redesigned for lighter weight. Babbitt now 1/16″ thick instead of 1/8″.
Ser. # 1,028,314 to 1,614,516, calendar year
856,514 to 1,362,813 approx. fiscal year
(Aug. 1, 1915 to Aug. 1, 1916).
Note: Ford’s published data shows 855,501 to 1,362,200 built Aug. 1, 1915 to July 31, 1916.
No significant changes from 1915.
Ser. # 1,614,517 to 2,449,179, calendar year
1,362,814 to 2,113,501 approx., fiscal year
(Aug. 1, 1916 to Aug. 1, 1917).
New “high” head with larger water jackets introduced.
Compression ratio slightly lower to 3.98 to 1.
Engine crankcase give larger front “snout.”
Ser. # 2,449,180 to 2,831,426, calendar year
2,113,502 to 2,756,251 approx., fiscal year
(Aug. 1, 1917 to Aug. 1, 1918).
No significant changes from previous year.
Ser. # 2,831,427 to 3,659,971, calendar year
2,756,252 to 3,277,851 approx., fiscal year
(Aug. 1, 1918 to Aug. 1, 1919).
Beginning with 2,815,891 (December 11, 1918) the first starter type engines were built. Regular production of starter engines began January 1, 1919, used in the closed cars only. All engines built were starter type after June, but used blanking plates at the starter, and a different casting at the timing gear on non-starter cars. Magneto post had metal retaining collar around its base.
Ser. # 3,659,972 to 4,698,419, calendar year
3,277,852 to 4,233,351 approx., fiscal year
(Aug. 1, 1919 to Aug. 1, 1920).
New light-weight rod with 1/16″ babbitt introduced. A lighter piston was also introduced which had no reinforcing bosses at the pin and no boss at the bottom. The larger fan pulleys started on “truck engines” on May 1, 1920.
Ser. # 4,698,420 to 5,568,071, calendar year
4,233,352 to 5,377,545 approx., fiscal year
(Aug. 1, 1920 to Aug. 1, 1921).
No significant changes from previous year.
Ser. # 5,568,072 to 6,953,071, calendar year
5,377,546 to 6,344,196 approx., fiscal year
(Aug. 1, 1921 to Aug. 1, 1922).
Beginning with about 5,530,000 (November 1921) the cylinder casting was altered to use the single valve chamber door. Beginning with 5,812,609 (April 3, 1922) all engines used the single door.
Ser. # 6,953,072 to 9,008,371, calendar year
6,344,197 to 8,122,674 approx., fiscal year
(Aug. 1, 1922 to Aug. 1, 1923).
During September the “Ford” and “Made in USA” were left off the side of the block on some of the production.
Ser. # 9,008,372 to 10,994,033, calendar year
8,122,675 to 10,266,471 approx., fiscal year
(Aug. 1, 1923 to Aug. 1, 1924).
New lightweight pistons introduced March 12. Beginning April 14 the camshaft was modified to use a shorter front bearing. On July 17 the oil tube was given a larger intake funnel, and by August 12 all had the new tube. On July 18 the crankcase was changed to the “four-dip” type. Began 1/32″ babbitt in front and center mains in June and in all cars beginning July 16.
Ser. # 10,994,034 to 12,990,076, calendar year
10,266,472 to 12,218,728 approx. model year
(Aug. 1, 1924 to July 27, 1925, the start of “1926” models). No significant changes from previous year.
Ser. # 12,990,077 to 14,619,254, calendar year
12,218,729 to 14,049,029 approx., fiscal and model year.
(July 27, 1925 to Aug. 1, 1926).
Cylinder casting again modified to have boss at rear to mate with new transmission cover which bolted to the cylinder beginning July 27, 1925 with S/N 12,218,729. Beginning in July 1926 the engines were painted with Pyroxylin. The color is not certain but is believed to have been an olive green.
Ser. # 14,619,255 to 15,076,231, calendar year
14,049,030 to 15,006,625 approx., model year
(August 2, 1926 to May 26, 1927)
Beginning in August 1926 the felt front crankshaft seal was changed to the asbestos type with the rubber core. During 1927 the hole between the center cylinders was closed. Since all cars used the Vaporizer type carburetor, the throttle rod passed over the engine instead of through it. Sometime during 1927 production (beginning in August 1926) the “Ford” and “Made in USA” began to be omitted from the cylinder head casting.
Late in calendar 1926, the cylinder head and water outlet bolts were given rounded, nickel-plated, heads in an attempt to dress-up the engine appearance.
Note: Model T car production ended at Highland Park May 26 with #15,006,625. (Records show the last number to be 15,007,032 but according to the engine production figures, only engines (no cars) were built on May 31, 1927. There was no production from May 27 to May 31, then engines and/or trucks began on May 31 (15,006,626 to 15,007,032).
15,007,033 to 15,176,888
The last number was built on August 4, 1941. (Seven T engines built in 1941). 169,855 Model T engines were built after the last Model T car was produced in 1927.
The following dates are those of Ford engineering drawings and do not necessarily indicate the date of the actual change in the part. The change could have been before or after this date.
CYLINDER BLOCK Date of Change Factory Number Change 07-13-08 T400 Adopted 01-15-09 T400AR Added flat to keep rear main bearing bolt from turning 12-02-26 T400AR Obsolete 02-08-09 T400B Removed 1-1/8″ boss, also 1/8″ pipe tap from front end of cylinder at point marked ” A.” 11-05-10 T400C New design (enclosed valves) 01-18-11 T400C Changed CS bearings from die cast babbitt to poured. 03-30-11 T400C Moved valve cover door up 1/8″. 04-10-11 T400C Removed T-427 valve stem bushing and replace with cast boss 09-19-11 T400C Increased depth of water jacket 3/16″ and moved valve cover down 3/16″ 04-16-12 T400C Added “Made in U.S.A.” to side of engine. 07-01-12 T400C Removed 5/8″ spotting bosses from left side. 12-08-13 T400C Removed 1/2’ pipe taps from water jacket. 07-18-14 T400C Removed rear oil hole from center CS bearing. 10-01-14 T400C Specified 1/4″ drain holes in valve chambers 07-23-15 T400C Specified rolled finish cylinder walls. 06-21-16 T400C Removed spotting boss from rear end. 07-24-19 T400C Obsolete – replaced by T-400-D tarter type). 12-17-18 T400D1 Adopted for Sedan and Coupe 04-18-19 T400D1 Specified for used on all cars instead of for sedan and coupe only. 03-27-20 T400D1 Reduced number of anchor holes in C.S. main bearings by two each. 04-05-22 T400D1 Obsolete – replaced by T-400-E, (rebored) 10-18-21 T400D1 New design (one valve cover) to be run at a rate of 100 per day 07-02-25 T400D2 Added boss on rear end of water jacket for transmission cover. 10-20-26 T400D1 Specified paint with M-124
CYLINDER HEADS Date of Change Factory Number Change 12-11-08 T401BR Adopted 12-29-08 T401BR Changed screw hole from 25/64 to 29/64″ 03-23-09 T401BR Added for use after 1st 250 cars 12-06-20 T401BR Obsolete – “all stock scrapped in June” 02-01-09 T401C Adopted (Thermo-syphon) 02-14-10 T401C Removed spotting boss from rear end 03-14-11 T401C Increased compression space by 3/32″ 07-22-11 T401C Added spotting boss to rear end 04-16-12 T401C Added “Made in U.S.A.” 06-10-12 T401C Added bosses between combustion chamber and water jacket for 1/8″ pipe taps on left side of head. 11-26-12 T401C Removed 1/8″ pipe taps for priming. Bosses remain. 07-17-14 T401C Added 3/32 to bottom of head, increases all top to bottom dimensions and lowers compression. 05-17-17 T401C Redesigned High Head Changes ASAP, Use Up Old Stock. 08-15-17 T401C Added 3/4″ cored hole between chambers 2 & 3. 02-23-18 T401C Changed rear locating boss from 5/8″ square to 1/2″ 09-25-18 T401C Reduced height of combustion chamber 1/16″ 01-12-20 T401C Removed rear locating boss `05-18-26 T401C Reduced height of combustion chamber 3/32″ 06-22-26 T401C Increased height of combustion chamber 3/32″. 10-20-26 T401C Specified paint with M-124 Other records indicate that in August 1926 the ” Made in USA” and “Ford” were being eliminated from the head castings.
T-483 Cylinder head bolt (3/8-24 x 2-1/8″)
12-3-07 Adopted 2-11-09 Obsolete after first 500 cars
T-483A Cylinder head bolt (7/16-14 x 2-1/8″)
T-483B Cylinder head bolt (7/16-14 x 2-9/16″)
7-6-08 Adopted 2-2-09 We have chamfered the head 45 degrees 2-11-09 Used after the first 500 cars. 15 required after the first 2500 cars. 5-28-10 Length of threads changed from 5/8″ to 3/4″ 6-30-10 Changed length of screw from 2-7/8″ to 2-1/2 ” on account of adding 1/16″ to T401C (cylinder head). 11-1-10 Diameter of screw changed from 7/16″ to a limit of .430 to .435″. 4-8-11 Changed length of bolt from 2-1/2″to 2-5/8″ 4-17-11 Changed length of screw from 2-5/8″ to 2-9/16″ 7-15-14 Changed distance between bottom of head and bottom of crown from 2-9/16″ to 2-5/8″. This changes the overall length of bolt from 2-15/16″ to 3″. This change is to take place at the same time that the new cylinder heads which are 3/32″ higher, come through. 7-25-16 Changed material from cold rolled Bessemer, to bright wire, one pass, cold drawn, type “E” steel, .428 to .432″ diameter. 11-15-16 Specified use on 1917 cars. 12-13-16 Changed distance across flats on head from 5/8″to .625 to .654″ 5-12-17 Specified this bolt to be used for repairs only with cylinder head having bosses 2.087 to 2.097″ high. 7-5-17 Brought drawing up to date by changing material from bright wire, one pass, cold drawn, type “E” steel, in coils, to cold drawn, open hearth, bright, basic, bending steel, type E, in catch eight coils, 26 to 28″ inside diameter. 8-21-17 Removed crown from lower end, and called for a 45 degree bevel, 1/16″high. Specified length under head to be 2-21/32″ and changed over all length from 3″ to 2-63/64″. 2-4-19 Added to panel, one required, as Time Gear Cover to Cylinder screw, Long LHO, Sedan and Coupe 1919. This change brings drawing up to date. 3-29-21 Changed material from CDOH BB heading steel type E to CD CH wire type E. 2-18-24 Redesigned, specifying threads to be rolled instead of cut. This changes the diameter of stock from .428 – .432 to .380-.384″ and weight per 1000 pieces from 151.5# to 120#. (Rolled-thread bolts were used in all production after July 16, 1923 according to engine production records.) 6-25-24 Removed pocket from head. 483C1 Cylinder head Bolt (7/16-14 x 3-9/32″) 4-12-17 Use only with cylinder head having bosses 2-11/16″ high. Model TT 1918-19. 7-5-17 Brought drawing up to date by changing material from bright wire, one pass, cold drawn, type “E” steel, in coils, to cold drawn, open hearth, bright, basic, bending steel, type E, in catch weight coils, 26 to 28″ inside diameter. 8-21-17 Removed crown from lower end, and called for a 45 degree bevel, 1/16″high. Specified length under head to be 2-21/32″ and changed over all length from 3-5/8″ to 3-39/64″. 12-17-18 Added to panel, 1 req. as Generator Bracket to Cylinder Screw-long for Sedan & Coupe 1919., making a total of 16 req. for this style of screw, on Sedan and Coupe 1919. 2-4-19 Removed from panel, 1 req. as Generator Bracket to Cylinder Screw-long for Sedan & Coupe 1919, making a total of these screws on Sedan and Coupe 1919, from 16 to 15. 3-29-21 Changed material from CD OH BB heading steel type E to CD CH wire type E. 11-4-21 Limits have been specified on the pitch diameter of threads bringing them up to date with the Bureau of Standards. 3-14-23 Obsolete and replaced by T-483-C2 T-483C2 Cylinder Head Bolt (7/16-14 x 3-9/32″) 12-19-19 Adopted 8-25-20 Specified this design to be experimental manufacturing, instead of experimental only. This design is to be run at a rate of 500 per day; stock for this design and T-550-C can be used, but must be taken into consideration when ordering more stock for T-550-C. This drawing was made on 12-19-19 and will be considered as adopted on that date. 3-29-21 Changed material from CD OH BB heading steel type E to CD CH wire type E. 11-4-21 Limits have been specified on the pitch diameter of threads bringing them up to date with the Bureau of Standards. 3-14-23 Removed “Exp. Mfg.” From symbol number, which means that this bolt will replace the present design in full production. 6-25-24 Removed pocket from head. 8-4-26 Changed length of threads from 1-1/8 to 3/4″. 8-23-26 Added 3/32″ crown to top of head changing overall length from 3-9/16 to 3-21/32,” and specified the head to be polished, copper plated, nickel plated (400 amperes min. per sq. ft.) and color suffed. (sic, probably should be “buffed”). Specified polished surface to withstand 15 hours in 20% salt spray without rusting and removed weight per 1,000 pieces. Also specified for 1927. 6-20-28 Removed Polish, Nickel Plate, etc. And specified Cadmium Plate.
Little written evidence exists that indicates engines were painted any color. If painted, early cars (1909) were probably painted chassis (body) color, and all were probably black if painted after the early production. Ford records do not seem to indicate any engine paint.
The oil pan (crankcase), after the early production, was painted black. Transmission covers were probably also painted if the engine was, except in the case of the aluminum covers, which were always bare.
The late 1926 and 1927 engines were painted green, according to some records. The green was called (by Ford) Drake Green, and was the same color as the green used on the closed cars. However a letter from the Detroit office, dated September 3, 1926, has this to say:
“We are attaching paint specifications covering the painting of the following parts:
“T4468 Breather Pipe Cap to be enameled. T-2202 Mixing Chamber to be Moleskin Motor Pyroxylin M-124. T-442 Water Outlet Connection to be Moleskin Motor Pyroxylin M-124. T-8719 Water Inlet Connection to be Moleskin Motor Pyroxylin M-124.”
Also see “Engine Painting” under PAINTS.
(Front bearing and spring clip)
(Early water pump engines) Unique design with crank holding arrangement.
3076 (T320B) Two “U” bolts used to clamp mount to frame. There were a number of variations in the design. The 1910 to 1911 had rather extended mounting “ears,” and the late 1911 and later were relatively even-sided. between the bolt eyes. There were minor variations in the general shape as well.
1921-1925 3076B (T320C) Forged design with two integral studs, secured with a clip under the spring, two nuts and cotters.
3076B2 (T320D) Similar to previous but has threaded hole in front to which the radiator apron is fastened.
Note: These dimensions are from the Ford Service Course, and relate to new engines built after 1913. There may be variations over the years. Some dimensions will not apply to modern replacement parts (pistons, valves, etc.).
CRANKSHAFT DIMENSIONS Length of bearings Front 2″ Center 2-3/16″ Rear 3-1/8″ Rods 1.505″ Bearing diameter (all) 1.248″ Overall length 25-5/32″ CAMSHAFT DIMENSIONS Length 22-23/32″ Bearing diameters (all) .748″ Bearing lengths Front 1.967″ Center 2-7/16″ Rear 1.750″ Width of cams 7/8″ Diameter of heel of cam 13/16″ Greatest diameter of cam 1-1/16″ Flange diameter 1-3/4″ Flange width 1/4″ Dowel holes .3120-.3125″ Thread Large 13/16×16 USF Small 9/16 x 18 SAE Cylinder bores 3.750″ dia. 6.752″ long Cylinder head bolt holes 7/16 x 14 Camshaft bearing holes Front 1.374-1.375″ Center 1.372-1.373″ Rear .9985-1.000″ Main bearings 1.248-1.249″ Manifold ports 1-1/8″
(With 1-1/4″ countersink, 1/8″ deep) PISTONS Diameter Skirt 3.748-3.749″ 2nd ring 3.743-3.745″ Top 3.738-3.740″ Ring grooves 1/4×13/64 deep Pin bushing diameter .740-.741″ Wrist pin diameter .740-.741″ Wrist pin length 3-1/2″ Ring gaps (original rings)
Top .003″ Center .005″ Bottom .008″ Push Rods Length 2-11/32″ Diam. .4355-.4365″ Head dia. 1″ Push rod guide holes .437″ VALVES Diameter of head & upper
edge of seat 1-15/32″ Diameter of lower edge 1-17/64-1-9/32″ Width of valve seat 3/32″ Angle of valve seat 45 degrees Thickness of head 3/16″ Stem diameter .3105-.312″ Overall length 4.974″ + Retainer pin hole
4-19/32″ from valve seat line .110-.113″ Valve lift 7/32″ Valve tappet to stem clearance .022-.032″ Valve ports 1-5/16″ Valve stem guide holes .3125″
There is some confusion in the Parts Lists and other sources regarding factory numbers. Some list this number as T800; others as T1526. The letter suffixes are also confusing. T800A, B, C, etc. is the number of the main body of the crankcase. T1526A, B, C. etc. is the assembly of T800 and the side arms, front and rear walls, etc. Factory drawings show T1526E beginning December 28, 1910 but the Parts Lists indicate the number as T1526C until the 1917 models. T1526E in the Parts Lists doesn’t appear until the four-dip pan in 1924.
(3069) F/N T1586A, Early 1909 One-piece with long front bearing in which the rear bearing rivet was located behind the front oil seal, inside the crankcase area. The rear flange had no reinforcement. Had oil dam behind fourth cylinder. Rather deep oil troughs under rods. Early version had a transmission band support (eliminated in a drawing dated Feb. 2, 1909).
3069 (T1526B, C) One-piece with no inspection plate on bottom. Had oil dam at rear cylinder. Shorter front bearing with rear rivet now outside the crankcase area. Minor variations in the stamping to allow greater connecting rod clearance. Dust pans on side of engine and transmission.
3069 (T1586C) Similar to 1909. Reinforcement added at the rear flange early in the year. Later the oil dam was dropped.
3100 (T1586D, E) Similar to 1910. Beginning in February a new magneto was used and a new, wider, square-hole transmission cover and pan was introduced. This new pan was still “one-piece” but had shallower troughs than the 1909-10 type. About 44,400 (March), the pan with the removable bottom plate appeared. The inspection plate was of heavier metal than the common type, had deeper troughs (7/8″ vs 11/16″) than the later types, and was embossed around the edges. The inspection plate retaining collar was one piece and was riveted in place. The riveting is believed to have been discontinued during the year. Deep “teacup” oil drain.
3100 (T1526E) Similar to the later 1911 type with removable bottom. The 1911 type inspection plate may have been replaced by the thinner, shallower, “standard” type during this period (date unknown). 1912 is believed to have been the last year for transmission side dust pans but engine side pans continued until the end of Model T production. during production the 7-rivet side arms were changed to the 3-rivet type.
1913-19163100 (T1526E) Early 1913 cars used the 1912-style pan except that the mounting ears were held with just three rivets (instead of seven). The slotted drain plug was still used. About June 1913 the now-standard design (no deep drain cup, and 15/16″ drain plug) appeared. Narrow front “nose” continued until 1917. The two piece inspection plate screw retaining collar appeared in 1913, Replacing the one-piece type used earlier.
3100 (T1526E) Wider front nose to allow larger crank pulley (which didn’t appear until 1920).
3100 (T1526E) (No part number change from earlier style.) Similar to 1917-24 but now with larger “four-dip” inspection plate. (New pan began in July 1924.) Pressed-steel reinforcing brackets used at the engine/ transmission junction corners sometime later. By November 1925, all engines also had the support straps from the motor mount to the transmission bolts at the rear of the cylinder block (1926 models and later).
CRANKCASE CHANGES Date Factory # Description T815A Crankcase side arm, first 2500 T819A Universal ball cap, first 2500 T819B Universal ball cap, next 2500 T819C Never used T819D Universal ball cap, after 5000 11-13-07 T1526A Crankcase assembly, first drawing 11-29-07 T801A C.C. support front end, first 2500 12-26-07 T809A Front radius. rod ball socket adopted 04-17-08 T899A Transmission case flange, 3/16″ sheet steel, first 750 cars 10-01-08 T800A C.C., first 2500 10-22-08 T814A C.C. rear wall, adopted 10-24-08 T814 C.C. rear wall, obsolete 11-10-08 T800A Crankcase, adopted 11-10-08 T800B Crankcase, adopted 12-22-08 T801B C.C. front end, second 2500 01-27-09 T1526A Crankcase assy. with trough under transmission and long T801 front end 01-27-09 T814A C.C. rear wall. Location of top hole increased from 3/8″ to 1″ 02-08-09 T800B C.C. Eliminated T813 transmission band support 02-10-09 T813 Trans. band support used on two-lever cars, obsolete this date. 02-12-09 T801C C.C. support front end adopted 02-24-09 T801C C.C. support; added 1″ hole and two cavities on either side. 03-11-09 T1526C C.C. assy. Short T801 and forged T899B 03-12-09 T1526A C.C. assy., obsolete 04-13-09 T800A C.C. Clearance for connecting rods increased 04-13-09 T800B C.C. Clearance for connecting rods increased 04-13-09 T800B C.C. added depression beneath transmission for strengthening. 04-19-09 T814B C.C. rear wall, after first 2500 08-19-09 T899B Transmission case flange adopted 09-08-09 T814B C.C. rear wall. Made a slot 1/2″ x 5-1/2″ for oil level instead of round hole. 09-14-09 T814B C.C. rear wall. Reduced length of slot to 4-1/2″ 02-15-10 T800A C.C. Flattened bottom of pan to accommodate change in oil drain cup. 02-16-10 T816 C.C. drain cup. Changed top surface from cylindrical to flat. 03-17-10 T800A C.C. Increased radius at rear end of pan to accommodate change in flange. 04-13-10 T809A Front radius rod ball socket. Increased height from 3/4″ to 1″ 04-13-10 T800A C.C. Moved placement of rivets on C.C. arms by 3/16″ 04-13-10 T815A C.C. side arm, new design 04-18-10 T800A C.C. Increased distance from top of pan to ball socket by 1/4″ 05-02-10 T814A C.C. rear wall, obsolete. 05-02-10 T814B C.C. rear wall, obsolete 05-04-10 T899B Trans. case flange. Change length of transmission cover screw bosses from 5/8 to 3/8″ 05-05-10 T800A C.C. Removed T814B rear wall. 05-11-10 T807 C.C. front wall. Redesigned and changed from pressed steel to malleable iron. 05-11-10 T808 C.C. front wall felt block, obsolete 05-12-10 T800A C.C. Moved several rivets in side arm T815A. 05-15-10 T809B Front radius rod ball adopted 08-31-10 T1582A C.C. cover. New drawing for removable inspection plate. 08-31-10 T1583 C.C. cover reinforcement, adopted for three-dip pan. 09-27-10 T800C C.C. Used for first 5000 1911 cars before obsoleting. 10-01-10 T1526D C.C. assy. New design with removable inspection plate. 10-01-10 T800C C.C. First 5000 1911 cars. 12-28-10 T1526B C.C. assy. Used on 2500 cars after the first 2500. 12-28-10 T1526E C.C. assy. Changed number from 1526D to 1526E. 03-31-11 T1582A C.C. cover. Moved furthest rear bolt hole from 3/8″ from end to 1/2″ 04-25-11 T1582A C.C. cover. Changed size of holes from 11/32 to 23/64″ 05-10-11 T800B C.C. Moved wall of transmission pit ahead and increased door flange reinforcement from 3/16 to 1/4″ 05-13-11 T1582A C.C. cover. Depth of pockets reduced from 1-1/32″ to 7/8″ and radius increased from 3-7/8 to 4-1/2″ 06-14-11 T800B C.C. Removed rivets that fastened reinforcement to case and spot weld reinforcement and side arms to case. 07-27-11 T800B C.C. Removed reinforcement 08-04-11 T800B C.C. Removed spot welds from side arms 08-04-11 T815B C.C. side arm. Changed number of rivet holes from three to seven. 08-10-11 T1526E C.C. assy. Removed rivets from bottom reinforcement 10-04-11 T815A C.C. side arm. Obsolete 10-05-11 T800A C.C. Obsolete 11-10-11 T1526E C.C. assy. Solder front wall instead of braze 11-10-11 T1526E Removed lock wire from C.C. cover screws 11-10-11 T1526E C.C. assy. Changed side arm rivets from flat head to round head 09-09-12 T815B C.C. side arm. Lowered top of arm from 3/4″ to 5/8″ (?) 10-26-12 T817 C.C. drain plug. Changed from round slotted to hex 10-29-12 T1582A C.C. cover. Removed reinforcing ridge from outside of cover 11-18-12 T815B C.C. side arm. Reduced number of rivet holes from 7 to 3 and added brazing hole 11-21-12 T1526E C.C. assy. Reduced number of side arm rivet holes from 7 to 5 and added brazing hole 03-20-13 T801C C.C. support front end. Shortened length from 6-27/32 to 5-3/4″. Replaced 1″ hole with 5/8″ radius notch. 03-20-13 T816 Oil drain cup. Reduced height 1/16″ because C.C. were made shallow and it was easier to change the cup than to change the crankcase 04-22-13 T816 Oil drain cup. Increased the overall height from 1-1/4 to 1-3/8″ 05-17-13 T815B C.C. side arm. Reinforcing pockets at top end to be straight instead of tapered 07-17-13 T816 Oil drain cup redesigned 07-19-13 T800D C.C. Changed diameter of hole in front end from 1″ to 7/8″ 10-17-13 T800D C.C. Removed T816 drain cup; now stamped integral with the crankcase. T816 Obsolete. 11-21-13 T800D C.C. Changed oil drain pocket to make joint between stamped flange and oil plug tight. 02-23-14 T4379A Rear C.C. reinforcement. Adopted for 3-dip pan T4378 and T4379, replacing T1583. 02-22-15 T899B Trans. case flange. Notches in flange opposite universal ball joint cap screws 04-15-15 T1526E C.C. assy. New design flange at rear end 04-17-15 T807 C.C. front wall. Oil felt groove to be round instead of square 02-10-16 T807 C.C. front wall. Added 5/16″ hole in bottom of oil felt groove 04-10-16 T800D C.C. Front end enlarged to allow use of larger fan pulley. 04-10-16 T807 C.C. front wall. Redesigned for wide-nose pan 07-06-16 T800D C.C. Added 5/16″ flange at outside of C.C. flange 07-06-16 T815B C.C. side arm. Redesigned to provide clearance for flange around outside of C.C. 12-19-16 T807 C.C. front wall. Increased width of felt groove from 3/8 to 9/16″ 01-18-17 T1526E C.C. Assy. Wide nose pan drawn 03-02-17 T807 C.C. front wall. Changed felt groove drain hole to cone-shaped 04-16-17 T807 C.C. front wall. Changed boss on left-hand cylinder front cover screw to have a 45 degree angle. 12-14-18 T807 Changed width of oil felt groove to 1/2″ 03-11-19 T801D C.C. support front end. Specified Ford script to be forged in part. 03-19-19 T807 C.C. front wall. Added Ford script 03-19-19 T809B Front radius rod ball socket. Added Ford script. 03-19-19 T899B Transmission case flange. Added Ford scrip to forging 04-23-19 T1582A C.C. cover. Added pocket 1-/4″ wide by 3/64″ deep around cover to crankcase screw holes 05-08-19 T800D C.C. Added reinforcing rib on front side of flywheel pit. 05-08-19 T809B Front radius rod ball socket. Increased number of rivet holes from 2 to 4. 02-02-20 T800D C.C. Removed two overflow bosses T1528 and draw two bosses in case. 04-22-20 T819D U-joint ball cap. Added 3/8″ hole in top of bushing, to be drilled after babbitting. 07-07-20 T1526E C.C. assy. 4-rivet ball socket design released ASAP 03-16-23 T815B C.C. side arm. Moved 3/4″ brazing hole up 3/8″ 05-26-23 T815B Moved bottom rivet up 3/8″ 06-25-23 T815B Made lower end straight instead of beveled 07-07-23 T1526E C.C. assy. Lower end of side arm supports made square instead of beveled. 01-17-24 T1582A C.C. cover. Changed to T1582AR indicating for repairs only. 01-17-24 T1582B C.C. assy. “Four-Dip” pan. (This new pan wasn’t used in production until July 18, 1924 according to engine production records.) 01-17-24 T4378B Front C.C. cover reinforcement for 4-dip pan 01-17-24 T43798B Rear C.C. cover reinforcement for 4-dip pan 01-17-24 T809C Front radius rod ball socket for 4-dip pan 01-27-24 T801E C.C. front end support for 4-dip pan 03-15-24 T1526E Four-dip crankcase drawn 10-11-24 T1526E C.C. Specified universal joint ball cap be held with a stud instead of a bolt 11-11-24 T1526E Wall which supports radius rod ball socket moved forward 1/8″ 02-27-25 T4378B Front C.C. cover reinforcement. Increased thickness from .182 to .245 inches 02-27-25 T4379B Rear C.C. cover reinforcement. Increased thickness from .182 to .245 inches 04-27-25 T1582B C.C. cover (door). Removed flange from outside edge and 1/8″ offset from inside cover. Increased thickness to .093″
© Bruce W. McCalley. Rev. February 6, 2007