A "what is it?"

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

A "what is it?"

Post by Duey_C » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:03 am

A friend often shows me things when he’s “been mining” in his woods. Digging and cleaning.
And asks what it is?
Zero to 160 right to left on the big dial. He called it a gauge.
The two dials below have cables attached that have blade ends. He didn’t say how long the cables are.
Looks on the left to be mounted to a steering column or some such.
TRUET?xxx? shown on the face bottom.
You guys ever seen anything like it?
You’re usually the best source on the internet.
Attachments
37532.jpeg
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: A "what is it?"

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:18 am

Radio control head and dial. There would have been flexible cables like choke/speedometer cables that went to the radio box mounted on the firewall or under the dash. The control head would have been mounted on the steering column.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:21 am

That's a control and dial assembly for a Truetone car radio. I would guess 1930s era. It may be restorable. Truetone may have been a Western Auto brand. The dial probably read from 570 to 1600 (kilocycles)

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:32 am

Similarly set up as this one.
Radioo.jpg
When did I do that?

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:20 am

On cars with a distributor, you can use static supressers by a type of spark plug wire or a condenser located in the primary circuit. However with the T magneto and coils I don't think it would work. I tested an AM radio in another car while my T was running and found I had to get about 300' from the T before the radio would stop buzzing. I did have a radio similar to that one on a 1935 Ford. The radio dial fit in the hole where the ash tray would have been located. Right in the center of the dash.
Norm

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:16 pm

It would be difficult to use an AM radio in a T, but it couild be done. An FM or satellite radio would probably work just fine as long as you had a "clean" power supply. A T with the coil box under the hood would be easier to "clean up" for an AM radio. Ts don't have reliable grounding between the hood and body or one body panel to another. Grounding the hood and each panel to the otherr panels would probably help. An electrical ground that will allow something like a tail light to operate will not necessarily provide a ground path for radio frequncy interference. That usuallly requires a flat, braided wire similar to the braided battery ground cables, only smaller. An AM antenae needs to be mounted in an RF grounded metal panel via a shielded cable. Powering the radio directly from the battery with a shielded wire might be helpful. Any power inverters, amplifiers, etc, need to be mounted as far from the engine as is practical. An old tube-type car radio might be the best choice, since they were built to operate in a hostile environment with a lot of RF interference from the ignition and generator, as well as heat, cold, and vibration. The better ones combined a well-filtered power supply with a sensitive, highly selective receiver and a fairly powerful audio amplifier and speaker to overcome background noise. Dodge and Chrysler cars around 1950 had an excellent 6 volt radio unit, with excellent sound quality. A GM radio from a Buick, olds, or Pontiac around 1950 would also be an excellent choice, and they were 6 volt negative ground. They probably drew about 5 amps, and are rather bulky. One of the remote dial radios would be easier to find a place for.

Topic author
Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:16 am

Bingo!
I knew you guys would ID it!
Thank you. I'll let him know! :)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic