The discussion of different hobbies.

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

The discussion of different hobbies.

Post by jiminbartow » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:12 am

I remember when, on the old forum, many of us had the same interests in addition to our interest in Model T’s and, at times, we had discussions with our many friends here, regarding these various interests, such as collecting and restoring phonographs, antique clocks, antique pocket watches, restoring antiques, coin collecting, steam engines, etc. In being able to discuss a variety of harmless but interesting subjects made this into a true forum and a much more interesting place.

I have a question regarding collecting gold coins that I would like to ask, but I know that the OT category is rarely visited by most members. I will be posting my question over there so anyone who is knowledgeable about collecting coins, I would appreciate you visiting the OT category and providing me with an answer.

I feel we have a vast resource of knowledge that is being wasted by prohibiting the discussion of anything but Model T’s and would like to suggest that the Model T only rule be relaxed and other subjects be allowed, turning the forum into sort of a large group of friends talking among themselves in the barbershop or general store around the pot belly stove, pickle barrel or Cracker Barrel, depending upon the region you are from. Of course volatile subjects such as religion or politics would be prohibited. Thank you for your consideration. Jim Patrick

tmodeldriver
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Hester
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 touring, 27 touring, 22 TT
MTFCA Number: 26459
MTFCI Number: 20813
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: The discussion of different hobbies.

Post by tmodeldriver » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:35 am

Well said, Jim. I know we can't stand in the way of progress but sadly, a lot of progress ain't. The old forum was a much more interesting place. Bob Hester

thom
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Coffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Touring

Post by thom » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:40 am

I suggest that those of us that have other interests besides Model Ts try to get in the habit of visiting the OT category often, and liven it up a bit. Those not interested can stay on the T page and be happy. James and Robert be prepared to get blasted for posting this. I can almost predict by whom. ( Just my 1 1/2 cents worth.)
Happy motorin' to you and yourn'. :)

RichardG
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Grzegorowicz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 T pickup

Post by RichardG » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:15 am

JAMES, I AGREE, OT WAS A INTERESTING PART OF THIS HOBBY, I COLLECT -- BRASS-- HO-- LOCOMOTIVES--RR --POCKET WATCH'S-- EDISON CYLINDER'S--78 RECORDS, I WOULD LIKE TO HOOK UP WITH ANY ONE WITH THE SAME INTEREST'S;

RichardG
Last Name: Grzegorowicz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 T pickup

Post by RichardG » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:22 am

OH YES, FORGOT IM ONE OF THE FOUR THAT GOT THE GRANITE STATE GAS AND STEAM ENGINE CLUB STARTED BACK IN 74, HAVE BUILT TWO I 1/2 LOCOS, ONE 440--AND A CLY SHAY. AND HAD MANY ENGINES OVER THE YEARS, GAS & STEAM. LOVE TALKING ABOUT THEM.

Topic author
jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:44 am

Hi Richard. That’s what I’m talking about. It would be great to learn about and discuss such things. Forums were created in Greek and Roman times to provide the public with an outlet to discuss all manner of things with like minded people. I think if it was permitted, there would be more participation and interest and an increase in paying members. Heck. Maybe some of the old inactive members may come back if it was more like it used to be. Jim Patrick

AdminJeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by AdminJeff » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:58 am

Facts:
The OT section of the forum is visited 100’s of times a day by several hundred unique folks. I look at the stats. That’s my job! Just because most of those visitors are “lurkers” and don’t choose to log in does not diminish the value they get from that section of our forums.

I’m moving this topic to OT.

AdminJeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
1921 Model T Touring, 1930 Model A Roadster
Voltage Regulators, Starter & Generator Repair
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Marv K
First Name: Marv
Last Name: Konrad
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 TT Steel Cab ("ToyBox Twoo"), '25 Coupe ("Cranky")
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Marv K » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:05 pm

-Hi, Jay & Jeff-
For Jim, Rich, and others, I can understand both sides of this discussion. However, I will say that the old forum felt friendlier. When there is something of a technical nature which I can learn more about, the MTFCA Forum is one of the best! Please note that I've not even thought about logging in, not even for the monthly postings of "What did you do......" Also, I will state that my 'Best-est T-friends' are ones I first met through the old Forum. When we're able to travel our lands again, I am pleased to possibly 'meet-up' with friends from here in Green Bay to Oregon to Florida to and points between, even across the ponds. Friends that feel more like family rather than an acquaintance or just a 'handle'... Does 'rigidity' serve everyone the best, or would some flexibility also serve? Thanks to the friends I've met, and thanks & kudos to Jay & Jim for operating this opportunity for us.
"Let's Figgur it owt!" Just fix it (right), and make it work.....
Aah-OO-Gah! (and), "Happy T-ing!"

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:21 am

Forum admins have to cater to the lowest common denominator, and sadly, in this
internet format, that hovers somewhere around the troll/troublemaker and those who
raise the biggest stink over things. It is not a job I envy. Yeah, a friendly, respectful
forum, where discussion can wander about to various semi-related topics (the usual
common thread is "old stuff") would be nice. But sooner than later, there are always
"those types" who cause problems, get a hurt feeling, start squawking, whatever, and
the admin's job becomes a hassle. So, the rules come down to stop the train from
coming off the rails, and that friendly, respectful discussion idea gets shelved for law
and order. Whaddyagonnadoo ? 😑
More people are doing it today than ever before !

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by DLodge » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:05 am

In principle, I agree with Jim's original post in this thread. In the old forum, years ago, I was the one who introduced the use of "OT-" at the beginning of a subject line for an off-topic post. (I had sysopped on three different CompuServe forums and that was a convention we used for much the same reason.) The diehard Model T purists could see that the post was off topic and could skip it. It worked reasonably well, except for a few that saw "OT" as a scab that had to be picked. They would still complain about the post's not being Model T-related. (My view was, "If you knew from the "OT" that it was something you didn't want to read, why did you read it?") I did enjoy having the OT posts mixed in with the Model T posts.

The three CompuServe forums I helped sysop on were very different in subject matter (Netherlands Forum, Cancer Forum, Masonry Forum), but the forum issues sysops had to deal with were generally the same. My view is this: Chris and Jeff make the rules and manage the forum (which is why they get the big bucks, the company car and the condo on the beach). If a new rule is introduced that I don't care for, I can gently tell them one time. If they don't change it, then I have a choice - (1) I can follow the rule and continue to participate, or (2) I can go start my own forum and make all the rules myself. So far, I have always opted for #1.

Thus spoke the guy in St. Louis.

Topic author
jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:01 pm

Good point Dick. I agree. Just reminiscing about the old forum. I took Jeff’s advice and now spend most of my forum time looking at the OT threads, for, it seems like only a fraction of the old crowd that was so much help on Model T matters, no longer visit the forum to help those with Model T questions, therefore those offering advice, have had very little actual experience and simply offer guesses as to what the solution is. Now, if I have a Model T problem, I can always find the solution by doing a keyword search in the old forum. On the old forum, if you had a question, you would get 50 to a hundred responses, or more, not only to answer your question, but to thoroughly discuss the question. These days, a Model T question is lucky to get ten responses. Sometimes they get no responses. I tried to let Admin know how to reinvigorate interest in the new forum, but Jeff immediately silenced me by moving my concerns to the OT forum and chose to ignore it, which is okay, but unfortunate, because I don’t like seeing what was once the best forum on earth end up a fraction of what it once was. Jim Patrick.
Last edited by jiminbartow on Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

46woodduck
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Petry

Post by 46woodduck » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:13 am

When I'm not playing with old cars I do have other interests. I build Cigar box guitars for fun and play with slightly newer cars, I have a 1964 Dodge Polara with a somewhat warmed over 440 as an alternate toy and have been known to drag race on occasion. It seems like the OT thread should be a place where discussing other likes and interests would be welcome.
Life is good on the lunatic fringe. Tom

Mopar_man
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Govoni
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32331
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Mopar_man » Sun May 10, 2020 8:58 pm

Love Old cars, Old guns, and Old clocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iB-gqdKVHU

This one is about 270 years old. Still going.

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936

Post by david_dewey » Mon May 11, 2020 1:37 am

I have learned to check the OT for the, uh, dare I say it, most interesting postings. I don't post here like I used to because my dial-up doesn't work well with almost any internet activity. This, I'm told, will change in July when the fiber optic cable is activated. Not holding my breath in the meantime!
OTHER hobbies??? Besides remodeling the house? Well, I do have an over-abundance (and if you tell Linda I posted this, I will deny it!) of American Flyer toy trains around here. The other day a mutual friend stopped by to leave off some mask for the hospital and wondered why I had all these mantle clocks, "isn't one enough?" Gee, that isn't a question I even thought of--my usual question is, "Now where can I put this one?" Good thing I didn't show here the boxes of Player Piano Rolls; more than I can even figure out where one is--and when I finish the house there should be three pianos in here. . . .
Amongst the clocks is a steam whistle mounted on a base, she didn't ask about that (nor about the others outin the garage. . . Hmm, nor all the railroad lanterns hanging from the rafters out there. . although my collection of those is rather limited; I had a friend who had hundreds of them.).
Someone once told me I had too many hobbies and wouldn't be able to do any one of them justice.
Oh well, he who dies with the coolest toys still dies. . . . Oh, I just found the crank to my Bluebird gramaphone, I wondered where I'd put that. . . .
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Rich Eagle
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Mon May 11, 2020 11:48 am

David, I admire you for your diversity in interests. I too occasionally try to make some sense out of the direction things take me. However I notice some who in trying to justify what they do by logic or financial prudence often get less done or don't enjoy it as much. There is something to be said for letting the spirit move you in what captures your imagination at the time and enjoying the journey.
Rich
When did I do that?

david_dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor

Post by david_dewey » Mon May 11, 2020 5:21 pm

Thanks Richard,
Seems like high praise from someone I admire as you do so many great things. Lately my biggest problem is I can't remember where I put things, or that I even have them. The comment on the Bluebird crank was true. In doing this living room remodel, I have to move some "piles" around, and voila, there's the crank. I picked up the Bluebird at a car swap--it needs a lot of casework and I found the missing crank on ebay, but when it arrived, it got "put in a pile" and I forgot about it! It is now on top of the Bluebird case (where it should have been all along). I'm kinda excited about getting this house project done, as it will be an accomplishment, and I can then get on with things like re-wooding Barney so I can drive him around! Oh boy, oh boy, Hurk, Model Ts! (OK, originally this line was about American Flyer trains, but it fits!)
David
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue May 12, 2020 5:18 am

Back in the days when I was actively collecting? I used to go into antique shops looking around, and dealers would ask me what I collect. I would usually first respond something to the effect that I just needed to look around and see what I could find. Sometimes some dealer would get a bit snippy and continue that if I would just tell them what I collected, they would tell me what they have along that line. At that,I would respond that I collected collecting. (They say a collection is three or more of a type of collectible?) I collect antique automobiles, model Ts. hand crank phonographs, 78 rpm records (mostly '20s jazz, vaudeville and comedy, and early cowboy and country stuff, I have over 2000 of them), silent film era photoplay novels (I have over 200 of those), era newspapers, magazines, clothing and accessories, household appliances, furniture,-------Shall I go on?

Since I have more than three distinctly different collections? I must collect collections.

david_dewey

Post by david_dewey » Tue May 12, 2020 4:21 pm

Wayne, I never realized what kindred spirits we are. I LOVE your explanation, I think I will steal it and use it. "I collect collections!" I need a button! I do have a brass badge that says I am a "Licensed Junk Collector. "
T'ake care,
David Dewey

D Stroud
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Wed May 13, 2020 1:05 am

Whenever I go into an Antique Store and they ask me what I'm looking for, I just say, "I'll know it when I see it." ;) Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

DLodge
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659

Post by DLodge » Wed May 13, 2020 10:13 am

D Stroud wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:05 am
Whenever I go into an Antique Store and they ask me what I'm looking for, I just say, "I'll know it when I see it."
If I am in a store (antique or otherwise) and just want to browse uninterrupted, my answer when I am asked what I am looking for is "Inspiration. I'll let you know if I find it." :D

otrcman
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Wed May 13, 2020 9:36 pm

I have long aspired to have an extensive collection of money. But it never has seemed to work out.

Dick

Bill Dizer
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dizer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 coupe, 1927 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 28610
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Bill Dizer » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:27 pm

My other interests include two Triumph sports cars from the sixties, 1946 Ercoupe airplane, 30 or so antique bicycles from the 1880's-1890's including 5 high wheel bikes, a1924 John Buyce Adirondack guide boat, with a square stern for early outboards, of which I have five of, including a rudder twin ole evinrude, a Caille straight shaft that runs a T coil for ignition, and others, Lionel 027 trains, a few old tools, old juvenile books, like tom swift, hardy boys etc., an 1857 Chickering baby grand piano, a buggy and sleigh, just to mention them! I'm 68 and still working as a mechanic at the local state park. I retired from the park for a year, and they called me back!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic