Harold Lloyd's Model T

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Fordwright
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Popove

Harold Lloyd's Model T

Post by Fordwright » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:25 pm

Apparently, the dimple in the door was no big deal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1-kR7o34cA

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Re: Harold Lloyd's Model T

Post by Erik Johnson » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:34 pm

Further to the left, there is also a large dimple in the body and a large dent in the trunk where it meets the back of the body.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:33 pm

Did you notice his right hand as he extended it to shake hands with the groom? The reason it looks like he is wearing a rubber glove is because he is. It is to cover the fact that he is missing the thumb and forefinger of his right hand that he lost in 1919 when he lit his cigarette with the fuse of what he thought was a fake bomb, that wasn’t. When it exploded it also injured his face and eye as well as the cameraman and a bystander. He recovered his sight but you can see some scars on his face in the photograph studio of the posted movie. Jim Patrick

Topic author
Fordwright

Post by Fordwright » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:24 pm

jiminbartow wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:33 pm
Did you notice his right hand as he extended it to shake hands with the groom? The reason it looks like he is wearing a rubber glove is because he is. It is to cover the fact that he is missing the thumb and forefinger of his right hand that he lost in 1919 when he lit his cigarette with the fuse of what he thought was a fake bomb, that wasn’t. When it exploded it also injured his face and eye as well as the cameraman and a bystander. He recovered his sight but you can see some scars on his face in the photograph studio of the posted movie. Jim Patrick
How that guy managed to lived so long doing all those dangerous stunts, I'll never know.

Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring and 1914 speedster
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Quickm007 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:58 pm

Fun movie!
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:21 am

I think the head support used for the photography session was actually one of those used for post-mortem photographs.
I also like how the guy who got sworded on the stage, then fell off, gets back up to lay down on the stage to finish dying.
ACTING!

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:22 pm

Bill. In the 1920’s, photography and studio lighting had progressed to the point that cameras easily captured images without such contraptions. I believe in this movie, the head support and old 19th century camera was used for comedic effect. The head support is proper for use in photo studios of the 19th century in keeping living subjects still during the loooong exposure times needed by those old plate type cameras. In the old days, depending on the amount of natural lighting In the studio, several minutes were needed to capture an image. That is why the old photos are of stern, unsmiling subjects. It was very hard to hold a smile that long so the subjects were encouraged to assume a comfortable posture and facial expression they could hold for a long time. When you see photos of subjects with blurry eyes, it is because the subjects were unable to keep from blinking during the long exposure. Post mortem photos needed no such contraption to keep the subject still. Jim Patrick

Topic author
Fordwright

Post by Fordwright » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:15 am

I suspect this movie was made "the proper way" according to Buster Keaton and others of the era. Improvised and crafted as they went along. No big staff of script writers or producers, just a few broad ideas and some actors, cameramen and workers.

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by DLodge » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:17 pm

This is a completely uncritical, purely-out-of-curiosity question, but since the topic of this thread is a Model T, why is it in "Off Topic" instead of the main discussion forum?

Topic author
Fordwright

Post by Fordwright » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:21 pm

DLodge wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:17 pm
This is a completely uncritical, purely-out-of-curiosity question, but since the topic of this thread is a Model T, why is it in "Off Topic" instead of the main discussion forum?
Because it's a Model T forum?

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:32 pm

It's in the OT section because there aren't enough T's in it.
There has to be at least 18. Either that, or some other number. I forget.
Several other cars appeared, and the police motorcycles were Harley's.
Also, some of the actors were thinking of other brands of cars. You can tell, if you listen to their accents.

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:14 pm

Dick, I was wondering that myself. With the tragic disabling of the ability for members to access the pre 2019 forum and the subsequent loss of an irreplaceable resource of Model T knowledge that used to be accessible to us in the old, pre 2019 Forum, as well as the unnecessarily strict rules regarding OT subjects, the MTFCA Forum is no longer the great forum it once was, and, in my opinion has unfortunately been ruined with the big format changeover of 2019. Jim Patrick

Topic author
Fordwright

Post by Fordwright » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:01 pm

Another forum which uses the same engine as this one did a similar thing recently, however the old archived material was still available, but taking a bit longer to retrieve from a search.
It can be done.

Erik Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:48 pm

I never use the forum's search function.

You can easily search pre-2019 forums via google.

For example, to search for Harold Lloyd, put the following in your search bar:

site:mtfca.com "harold lloyd"

Click on this link to see the results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... e&ie=UTF-8

To view the images from your search, just click on "images" - here are the results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:mt ... 40&bih=702

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:54 pm

Erik. Most MTFCA subject search results that are in the pre 2018 forum come back as internal server errors, just like when one tries to access info through the keyword search of the pre 2019 forum. I wish it was different but I’m afraid that all the fooling around with the forum by those making all these changes to a forum that was not broken has permanently deleted everything before 2019. This is an irreplaceable loss to all of us who valued the knowledge that had accumulated over the past 20 years that was available to us from some of the greatest Model T experts in history and if there is anyway to recover it, it should be the number one priority of the admin team that knows what was done to make it disappear. Jim Patrick

Erik Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:44 am

I don't use the forum's key word search. I didn't use the previous forum platform key word search either.

I simply use google as I explained in my prior post.

If you click on the links I previously posted showing the results of a google search of "Harold Lloyd" on mtfca.com there are plenty of pre-2019 hits and the links aren't broken. Note that I used "Harold Lloyd" merely as an example.

Just enter the following in a google search bar:

site:mtfca.com (subject, words or phrases)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic