I just got banned... from the watch repair forum!?!

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Matt in California
First Name: Matt
Last Name: G
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1926 Fordor Project, TT C-cab flatbed farm field find, TT dump truck project
MTFCA Number: 30697

I just got banned... from the watch repair forum!?!

Post by Matt in California » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:33 pm

First, I will say one reason I am posting this is I am really glad for MTFCA forum after this experience. I do understand that we get spammer/scammers on this forum and weed them out. But I hope it never gets to what I experienced on another forum.

Yesterday I bought some metal draw cabinets. My interest is for small parts storage. They happen to be a watch makers storage. My thought was the contents would help pay for the cabinets... So I poked aground a bit and found a watch makers forum. I decided to join and went to there introduction page and introduced myself and shared I recently acquired the following contents and wanted advice:
ADBDE434-DE25-4493-953F-2C662A4331C4.jpeg
IMG_2312.JPG
watch 1.jpeg
watch 1.jpeg (72.79 KiB) Viewed 3105 times
watch 2.jpeg
After I posted that, I started looking around the forum in a few minutes I got a message on the screen "Banned." I could no longer brows the forum. Was I wrong in my first post? There was a place on the "Banned page" where I could message the administrator, so I did. I got no response.

I understand people don't where watches anymore. Most of what I have is plastic crystals. I guess that forum wants me to dump 20K watch parts in the trash! But it seems like if you had the watch with a broken plastic lens you would be very happy!

Here on this forum, there would have been a handful of people reaching out and maybe someone local would offer to come by... So I will ask it here. Any ideas of what to do with all these parts?

Matt

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Re: I just got banned... from the watch repair forum!?!

Post by FreighTer Jim » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:40 pm

Matt

Sounds like you joined a forum just to sell.

Most forums don’t like that.

FJ
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:33 pm

I agree that there are many wonderful things on this Forum. Many I probably take for granted. I do visit and participate in some other forums that don't have the things this one has.
Interesting experience Matt.
Rich
When did I do that?

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:47 pm

There are a good number of people that join boards and forums just to buy and sell, nothing new about that.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:05 pm

Most Facebook groups I follow strictly do not allow selling and doing so will immediately
draw the ire of the members, and likely get a admin to give a warning or boot you, straight
up. These guys are ruthless ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Topic author
Matt in California
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1926 Fordor Project, TT C-cab flatbed farm field find, TT dump truck project

Post by Matt in California » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:05 am

It looks like the reason is obvious to all of you and maybe even me in hindsight. The forum is actually a part of a website. I was able to go on to another computer and enjoy the website. The website looks like it’s purpose is to charge people on training watchmaker. I found there was a statement that the forum was not to sell parts...

The reality was I wasn’t trying to find a buyer for the parts, but get advice on what to do with the parts. I don’t even know how to figure out one main spring from another...

I guess I was shocked not to not get the courtesy of a reason why I was banned. I would’ve expected a newbie would’ve been warned in their post taken down.

Happy to be in this forum even if we don’t mess with little microscopic springs. But Ts still need to get winded up to be started.

Matt

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659

Post by DLodge » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:14 am

Matt in California wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:33 pm
...I decided to join and went to there introduction page and introduced myself and shared I recently acquired the following contents and wanted advice:...
Matt, your original post here indicates that you asked for advice. That seems at least worth an answer, even if your post there was going to be deleted. Not courteous.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:45 pm

Matt, .... face it, .... you're just a hooligan ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
More people are doing it today than ever before !

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936

Post by david_dewey » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:53 pm

I'm surprised no one has yet suggested what to do with all those watch parts. Are all the drawers that loaded? I would think mainsprings would be a small gold mine, but what do I know, I don't work on watches--too small!! Too delicate! And crystals, AFAIK are also hard to come by.
Oh Well. . . . .
There's always eBay. . . .
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:30 pm

The facebook Dodge Brothers pages I am on, there is selling. So I guess it depends on who is running the show. :) Even on the AACA forum pages selling is allowed. There is a drop down in the header that allows for sale or wanted to be added to your title. Ebay or find another site. i just did a google search and found this one; https://mb.nawcc.org/forums/watch-repair.23/
There were others. I used the search terms of; vintage watch repair forum
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Grady Puryear
First Name: Grady L
Last Name: Puryear

Post by Grady Puryear » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:17 am

You have truly found a Gold Mine for the watch collector/repair trade. I was a Member of the NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) for many years. I had to give it up because of age and disabilities, eyesight, arthritis and so forth. When I was a Member, membership consisted of some real good folks,most of us with a few miles on us, but all in all, a good bunch. I would suggest calling them, they are on the Net, and get their help in locating a Chapter in your area, they used to be everywhere. Someone in this Organization will be more than happy to help you dispose of this stuff. Having been there and done that for many years, I well know how the parts supply for watches has really dried up. Good luck.

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

SWISS WATCHES

Post by Novice » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:49 pm

Matt. since a lot of the parts You have are made in switzerland and that country still has a large time industry. Try reaching out to watch makers, clubs,groups in Switzerland.

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

WATCH REPAIR VIDEO

Post by Novice » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:46 pm

This company ad has a video of one of their Techs completely disassembles a Breitling luxury watch cleaning and putting it back together. Makes rebuilding a model T engine look like a piece of cake.
Govberg Watch Repair: Watch Repair | Watch Service Center
www.govbergwatchrepair.com

Topic author
Matt in California

Post by Matt in California » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:06 am

Busy week! Thanks for everyone's comments!

The saga continues... In short I enjoy Model T people and have yet hit it off with watch people.

Update on my end. I found a new forum on Facebook (I use this forum 100x what I do Facebook... and don't really like facebook, but ended up adding a bunch of classifieds for Model Ts:) The first think I did was ask the moderator about posting. He told me to post in a separate group that was classifieds for the same group... You could only be in the classifieds if you were in the group. Anyway I made a post seeking advice, and it was rejected. I rechecked with the moderator, he said post again without a price or put negotiable, but I had to put a price so I put $200 and mentioned the price was negotiable depending on what people wanted. I then saw all the watches posted for hundreds and thousands of dollars. I got no response... I figure it must be the wrong crowd. I didn't mention the main springs because I first want to find out if the thousands of plastic crystals have a market...

Mark, thanks for the lead on the NAWCC. I looked into it. I plan to followup there when I figure out a plan. It is funny they have a wanted page, but I don't see a for sale page.

Grady, I appreciate your insight. I know there is value in the mainsprings I only have a few drawers of these. Everything else is plastic crystals. You mention goldmine. Are you referring to the plastic crystals?

Jim, thanks for the cool video!

Matt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic