Custom Color Matched Exterior Enamel from Home Depot!

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Custom Color Matched Exterior Enamel from Home Depot!

Post by CudaMan » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:11 pm

The chassis and undercarriage of my 1912 Flanders 20 is a rather dark, yellowish cream color and needs a lot of touch-up. I removed and cleaned up my license plate holder as best I could to use as a color reference. I could have gone to a dedicated automotive paint store, but on a whim I decided to stop by Lowe's first. They only offer color matching with latex house paint, so next I went to Home Depot. Score! They offer custom color match exterior enamel, in sizes down to a "trial" size jar, which is just over 7 ounces of paint, perfect!

In ten minutes the counter person had scanned my license plate bracket and I had a 7 ounce jar of custom mixed exterior enamel that is a near perfect match to the cream color on the Flanders. :)
Attachments
IMG_8028.JPG
IMG_8027.JPG
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Re: Custom Color Matched Exterior Enamel from Home Depot!

Post by Rich Eagle » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:35 pm

That's pretty cool. Colors can really be a problem to match.
Rich
When did I do that?

Topic author
CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:16 pm

I touched up several spots on the Flanders today and the color match is perfect! The counter person and color scanning machine did a great job. :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Mopar_man
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Govoni
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32331
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Mopar_man » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:05 pm

That's great!! When My daughter was born I asked my wife if we should paint the nursery a nice soft yellow. She agreed so I went to Home Depot with a 1967 Dodge paint chart and painted her room 67 Dodge yellow "Sunfire". It came out great! They were also able to match Hemi Orange Petty Blue and Citron Yellow for my garage. Ha!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic