Cold weather

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Cold weather

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:32 pm

Just wondering how everyone in the north and middle part of the country are doing. I have heard about power outages, and clean water shortages, and even some food shortages. I am very thankful that things out on the southwest coast are warm and sunny. Only fallout here is a shortage of the COVID vaccine due to delivery problems.
I hope things will be under control and your power back on soon.
Norm

Mopar_man
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Govoni
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32331
Board Member Since: 2016

Re: Cold weather

Post by Mopar_man » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:05 am

I'm in VA and this morning the thermometer in my garage was reading 38. I was hoping to get more work done on Rattles my T but I think my blood has thinned from the days I lived in VT.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:47 am

Here in Michigan we got about a foot and a half of snow out of the last storm. Temps are just now inching above freezing after being well below for the last ten days or so. Single digits overnight, which is actually uncommon during a typical winter. No power interruptions, at least where I live and the local windmill and solar farms are operating normally, as are the conventional powerplants. We've been lucky compared to Texas and some other parts of the country.

Being retired I have the luxury of not having to be anywhere so I can wait until a storm passes before digging myself out. Usually I can handle snowfall with our 1953 Ford Tractor but this time I had to hire a "guy". No biggie.... The county does pretty good keeping the main roads open but sometimes you have to wait a day for the back roads to be plowed after a significant storm.

Fortunately we don't get many ice storms up here. They can be very destructive, often resulting in power outages and fallen limbs. I feel for all those in the south and midsection that have been plagued by ice.

People sometimes ask "How can you live in Michigan with the terrible winters?" First of all, we understand winter and it's not so bad. The upside is that the other seasons are absolutely glorious in Michigan, especially fall. The summer heat is tolerable and being surrounded by the Great Lakes is provides great beauty and recreational possibilities.

Covid trends in Michigan are better than in many other states and we are looking to returning to some degree of normal by summer. The Model T began in Michigan, you ought to check us out sometime :D
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by ivaldes1 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:13 am

Last week in Texas was a mess. Houston Texas nearly never stays below freezing for more than a day. It was in the teens for about 5 days -- highly unusual for Texas. I know of nearly no one who didn't lose power for significant periods of time and then the pipe breaks began with loss of water pressure and the boil water alerts. Everything shut down for about 3 days. Ugh what a mess. Things started getting back to normal 02/19 and by Monday 02/22/2021 were very much back to normal. Plumbers are very busy with all the pipe breaks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic