Want to buy a motor home, but, which one?

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Want to buy a motor home, but, which one?

Post by Sarikatime » Mon May 31, 2021 8:06 pm

I want to buy a used motor home to hook my trailer and model T to the back and be able to go to farther away from home model T tours. I was looking at around 30 foot long, class A diesel pusher. What advantage is a diesel pusher versus a front motor. What size motor, year and manufacturer is ideal. Is one manufacturer coach better built and more reliable over the other. Sorry but I have a lot of questions and only want to buy once.
Thank you in advance.
Frank

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Re: Want to buy a motor home, but, which one?

Post by Burger in Spokane » Mon May 31, 2021 10:15 pm

Talk to Dean Yoder and scrap this whole "towing" idea. :lol:
More people are doing it today than ever before !

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:38 am

Frank,

You may want to look at renting a few for a weekend just to see what it like to drive the different types and styles and how they handle without towing a Model T anywhere. Just go camping in one or two a few times before investing in some style you later discover you're not happy with. That also lets you talk with the other campers in the park who have one and you can find out their likes and dislikes also.
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:43 am

The obvious choice :D
Attachments
model-t-camper.jpg
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:22 pm

How about a custom sheep camp ? Provide a motor of your own choosing !
(5,000 sheepherders can't be wrong !) :D
Attachments
FB80C7A1-834C-4D9B-B98F-F18840421E74.jpeg
"Get a horse !"

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:31 am

Your choices are as large as your checkbook and you can have anything you can pay for. Myself i used to haul our car trailer in back of our 5'th wheel camper. I have a friend with a diesel pusher and plates are approx 100 per month alone plus ins and other up keep. Usually a large diesel holds about 40 or 41 qts of oil so a change is costly! Another thing to think about with a large motor home is hauling a trailer and a large pusher can wreck a small trailer if not set up well?? Bud. :D

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Post by ironhorse » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:59 am

I had a Front engine diesel (FRED) their selling point is they get better mileage than the pushers, i didn't find the difference to be anything to write home about. Hauling your model T behind a motor-home is not a bad experience as long as you have the trailer set correctly. The only problem I have ever had is that some states are very strict about how a registered antique vehicle can be used (they don't like to see you using them as a grocery getter from your campsite) but the good thing is most police officers don't know this and just want to talk about the neat old car. I had one stop me and inform me that in his state I could only drive the vehicle to and from a show, I played dumb and he let me go....... Personally I am looking for a racing trailer (goose neck) because i can haul my T and still have living quarters and I can disconnect my ram 3500 if needed for local trips to the grocery store and such.
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:02 pm

Can't help you on selection but do agree about renting one since your usage sounds sparse and their initial cost is high as is they depreciation quickly then level off. I was intrigued with this style of Winnebago models over the more common box/cab look. Don't need a BIG one for weekly joints.
https://www.winnebago.com/shopping-tool ... Id=PROD553
Attachments
winn.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Bill Dizer
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dizer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 coupe, 1927 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 28610
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Bill Dizer » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:04 pm

In Indiana, regular license plates are only about $20.00 more a year than the highly restrictive (but rarely enforced) antique plates. With the regular plate, you can drive it any time and any where you care, without any questions. My insurance company does not care either. An added bonus is that the regular plates can be renewed on line, where the antique plate has to be renewed in person at the BMV. Well worth the extra not to have to deal with them in person!

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Post by ironhorse » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:55 pm

Fortunately in Florida the antique tags are $65 and don't expire until the ownership expires.
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

Dennis Prince
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Prince
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1)24 touring 2)25 TT's 1)26 roadster 2)26 tourings 1) 26coupe 1)27 funster 1)28 A pick up
MTFCA Number: 22802
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Dennis Prince » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:08 pm

Meanwhile back at the topic... a motor home is a personal preference decision, I chose a class A because you set up higher so you can see more of the country side and it maximizes the interior space and the one I got has more ground clearance, I got a gas motor because I know 3 things about diesels, they are noisy, they stink and I don't work on them. I also wanted one without a slide out, while they give you more room they are also 1 more thing to break. I got a 27 ft Chevy Workhorse chassis with a 8.1 liter v8 and I get 10.4 mpg with out a trailer and 9.4 mpg with a trailer, it has plenty of power and I can still take to all of the National Parks, any bigger and they won't let you into some of them. That is what works for me, you might hate my set up so you just have to find what works for you.

DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Depot Hack, 1916 Touring

Post by DickC » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:56 am

I have had 4 motor homes in the passed. Each was gas which allowed me to service/work on/repair it and that finally became the issue to end motor home ownership. Most of the time a motor home sits idle for a significant amount of time. When the occasional use takes place, there seems to be something to fix or replace. I guess age has a factor but I would get nervous when I went to the shed to start the motor home and check it out prior to the trip. Batteries and tires were always in need of replacing (it seemed). Water and electrical issues were often a concern. I finally looked at the advantage of motor home vs motel and made the decision to end motor home ownership. I now pull a 24 ft enclosed trailer (eight feet high inside) so all my cars fit. I pull it with a 2500 Dodge crew cab and can use it to get around town when not using the T or other car in my stable. The cost of a motel (that offers breakfast) is usually less than the continued maintenance expenses of motor home ownership. Just my experience over a 40 year period. I don't expect everyone to agree.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic