AUTONOMOUS VEHICLES - they are coming

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

AUTONOMOUS VEHICLES - they are coming

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:26 pm

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/new ... yptr=yahoo

Once they get the bugs out, this is going to be BIG!
Last edited by Tom Hicks on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Topic author
Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Re: AUTONOMOUS VEHICLES - they are coming

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:00 pm

Ford is planning to invest $4 billion by 2023 in its recently created autonomous driving subsidiary, Ford Autonomous Vehicles LLC., with a further $1 billion going to autonomous-vehicle software company Argo A.I. to help it develop its technology.
Ford has also partnered with Chinese tech titan Baidu for driverless-car trials there, and hooked up with outfits such as Domino’s Pizza, Walmart, and Postmates for trial services in the U.S. using autonomous cars to deliver goods to customers.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/ford ... to-austin/

How much return would Ford expect on a $5B investment?
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Post by ironhorse » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:34 pm

Not sure if this didn't come from the 3rd office on the left...... but the latest rumor of one to jump on the Autonomous Vehicle band wagon is the post office.... I have not been able to verify this but the plan is to do a trial by mid 2021. I get enough incorrect mail as it is. :twisted:
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

smith1020
First Name: lucas
Last Name: Smith

Canva Presentation

Post by smith1020 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:31 am

The Canva-Slidecast integration lets users use Canva’s design tools to create more sophisticated designs, and then push those designs to https://slidecast.com/integrations/canva-integration/ with creates many exciting possibilities for delivering presentations and tracking their engagement.

Tim Rogers
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe & 1923 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by Tim Rogers » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:29 am

The was once a time when America was in love with the automobile- that era is over. Most people in the US could care less about cars now. They will, however, be enthralled with self driving cars because it will allow them to be able to burry their noses in their phones without the bother of driving a car.

cell.jpg
cell.jpg (10.93 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:52 am

Ride the damned bus.

Been Here Before
First Name: George John
Last Name: Drobnock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe

Post by Been Here Before » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:09 am

The early road system was the first for creating autonomous driving.

Then it was all destroyed when folks wanted better highways. The early roads allowed the operator to set the speed with the throttle, place the vehicle in the proper rut and let the highway do the rest.
519689modeltford.jpg
271112modelt.jpg

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:29 am

If one of those is in an accident, it would be a nightmare to figure out who to sue. The owner? The manufacturer? The equipment maker? The people who install the markers along the roads to determine where the edge of the road or lane is located? The chip maker who makes a defective chip? The workers on the road who set up a detour? etc. etc. etdc :o :? :roll: :oops: :shock: :arrow:
Norm

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:04 pm

Sheer idiocy, if you ask me. What is the point? What will you do when riding in an autonomous vehicle? Play video games? Sleep? Watch CNN on the 28 X48 telescreen as you nibble your Weight Watchers? Crawl up through the sunroof and dance on top of the vehicle? I'd as soon be stuck on a plane in Newark. You could at least go back to the coach section and watch the fights. I used to ride everywhere in an autonomous car when I was a little kid. I couldn't wait to be old enough to DRIVE!

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:28 pm

What is the point to responding to a goofy question that mercifully fell dormant 2 years ago and was just revived by a SPAM'er?
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:28 pm

The autonomous vehicle push continues unabated. I don't hear any popular clamor for such a thing.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:05 pm

OH it only gets "better"
https://carbuzz.com/news/toyotas-hitchl ... to-reality

Not only will the "drivers" not have to pay attention,but if there is a signal loss between your trailer and you roller skate car,it will be wreck city!
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:24 pm

There is a lot of confusion about the "Autonomous Vehicle" technology that has been interpreted into a single solution.
For example:
Driver Assist technology uses a high speed computer chip, laser radar & apps to keep the car in lane & from crashing into objects. I use this and it works well on the Interstate & Highways. No one would use it in traffic with the hops of moving.
Parking assist uses a high speed computer chip, laser radar & apps. I was familiar with this technology in the early 1990's so its taken a long time to make it function. Mostly due to high speed computer chips
--
The confusion comes from the "no driver" part.
For semi trucks: A complete preprogrammed mapping from point A to point B is needed and is stored onboard the semi's computer. Then t here are different methods by which that information can be interpreted. One using GPS to record where on the map the ruck is. A more sophisticated solution is for the truck to monitor itself (speed, time/distance and landmarks to know where it is at all times). That mapping would need a computer program to collect it - similar to Google Maps has to move you down a mapped street.
--
If all this was so easy to do the perfect candidate would be Trains. Their lanes are fixed, some technology is already in use to slow trains around curves, car crossing are known. Traffic isn't an issue and they have scheduled routes. So why haven't they been approached as a starter?
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:38 pm

I'm not comfortable with the idea of anything on public roads being in control of itself. I don't care to dodge sidewalk robots delivering Chinese rubbish to insatiable consumers of same, either. Aerial drones buzzing about residential areas, periodically pausing to defecate cold pizza and more Chinese junk, strikes me as a an absolutely hellish idea. There isn't much to do in a moving car except drive, if you ask me. Speaking for myself, I enjoy driving automobiles, motorcycles, bicycles, tractors, bulldozers, etc. I'm confident I'd enjoy piloting a private plane, if I could afford such, though I would not care to fly in a congested area. I don't mind self-serve elevators, but if the choice was available, I'd choose one with a friendly operator who knew the building over a self-serve.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic