Not sure about this new development

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Not sure about this new development

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:17 am

I really understand the powers that be creating this "other place" for OT posts to lessen their workload but I'm not sure I like it. Can't believe a group complained to the point where this had to take place. Hope it doesn't end up being an adverse thing.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Re: Not sure about this new development

Post by Rich Bingham » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:34 am

Charlie, I hope not too. From other fora I've participated on, it seems the more "rooms" there are, the less discussion there is. I could be wrong, but it seems the decision came about after two posts were inserted into the "Kalamity Dick" thread in what appeared to be a move to sabotage it by making it difficult to load and navigate. I asked Jeff if the posts could be removed from the thread, and offered to "cease and desist" if the topic was seen as detrimental. His reply to me stated there had been 12 complaints against the KD thread, and the administrators' response was to create this OT section rather than ban or delete the topic. Our administrators are busy guys who have volunteered to keep the forum running and managed without pay. I'm grateful to them, and I'm certainly for anything that eases their burden. I barely understand just how much time they are putting into it.
"Get a horse !"

fliverfan
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Chuplis

Post by fliverfan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:50 am

Charlie B in N.J. wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:17 am
Hope it doesn't end up being an adverse thing.
I tend to doubt it for it is a most generous approach. They're under no obligation to provide space for OT threads at all.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:42 pm

I can't say enough about the time, effort and generosity Chris and Jeff have put into this forum. Many enjoy it in so many ways. Now I am in a quandary to know what is OT. I thought this could be a place to put things I otherwise would not post. Now I see some non-Model T subjects are actually pertinent. I have jumped on the wrong boat before.
Kalamity Dick started out as a fictional character about a guy who drove a Model T. I guess we did stray from the original intent. It turned out to be somewhat enjoyable for some. I apologize to those offended by the humor. I thought a thread off by itself could be simply skipped over. Several folks have mentioned to me that the humor has been a bright spot in their day. We are off by ourselves now thanks to Jeff's solution.
Thanks again to all.
Rich
When did I do that?

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:09 pm

Unfortunately it has to come to this, but fully understand.
I thought OT was on the thread title, so people could skip over if they were not interested.
Hopefully those who are, will get used to the dedicated topic here.

You can please some of the people, some of the time... :roll:

Thanks for all the efforts of the staff !! :D

Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Post by Tom Hicks » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:14 pm

I like the separation. When I go to "The Forum" I am looking for info directly related to the model T.

I find it very easy, just a couple of clicks, to find OT, which I also enjoy.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

BobD
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Doris
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout, 1930 Sport Coupe
MTFCA Number: 32538
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by BobD » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:49 pm

If one saves the OT forum to your Favorites or “Bookmarks”, it just takes one click to go here. Same as selecting the main forum. Easy peasy. :)

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George Mills » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:39 pm

The world is changing and most of us have become dinosaurs...so it goes...point me to the tar pit!

I am going to say it...live with the pushback...congratulations on having an old “I” maxim be selected by the “A” administrators as a root cause fix to an absolutely non-existent problem.

I do appreciate that admin gets bombed with complaints from purist who can’t even handle the understanding that if you see a post labeled OT and you want to be offended then just skip over in the first place!!!!

A long time ago (how’s that for a dinosaur) the “I” forum would lamblast folks who would even sneeze something non-T and demand they be suspended. The “A” at the exact same time WAS 75% back porch stuff, the daily newspaper...and all were happy with the format then.

For those that are so soon to forget...the “I” forum crashed and burned and was cremated. Point counter point!

I actually think the idea of the dedicated OT index is a good one and would ask that consideration be given to calling that ‘index’ something like that other than OT. Oh by the way....Dino speak...that said, I really do have a hard time accepting that for the good of the people...the whiners heckled the admin in being creative. The admin fixed what was never broken in the first place. Can we call the new “Daily News” or something like that? I find the title “OT” a bit offensive ....

I would hate to have this be political (seriously) but it sure seems to me that most of the OT folks, had no issues even if a point of view turned on them, and were card carrying members... curiosity screams the status of the hecklers...but no need for an answer as the board has already taken an open to all view to participation.

While we are at it, maybe “FJ rides again” should get his own header too? Or take some of the other nice diversions and give them indidual “rooms” Just sayin...

Time to take my federally paid for OxyContin as part of a septuagenarian entitlement for permanent pain and take my pre-din nap. OT still needs T related? OK, I need the pills for a T related incident 🤪

Dan B
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by Dan B » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:48 pm

This might be the best place to talk about oil viscosity....
1923 Touring

JWalters
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Walters
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by JWalters » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:18 pm

I agree with Tom. Having a separate section for OT is great! I expect that the forum will thrive because of it! Thank Jeff.
Tom Hicks wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:14 pm
I like the separation. When I go to "The Forum" I am looking for info directly related to the model T.

I find it very easy, just a couple of clicks, to find OT, which I also enjoy.
George Mills wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:39 pm
The “A” at the exact same time WAS 75% back porch stuff,
The admin fixed what was never broken in the first place.
I would call having 75% of the post being off topic broken.
George Mills wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:39 pm
consideration be given to calling that ‘index’ something like that other than OT. Can we call the new “Daily News” or something like that? I find the title “OT” a bit offensive ....
Don't know why you would call the title "OT" offensive. :?
Calling it anything other than "Off Topic" would be confusing and defeat the purpose.

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George Mills » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:09 pm

I rest my case.....

I apologize to all for any I may have confused...

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:02 pm

I've seen this on numerous forums, ... some people refuse to skip over topics they are not
interested in, hit the "delete" key, etc., and then complain up enough of a storm to force
the entire forum to bow to their way of thinking the forum should run.

In my world, we call them "whiners". In my Grandfathers' Model T era, they had much
stronger names.

The Admin people do not deserve, nor need all the BS that whiners feel entitled to foist
upon everyone around them, wherever they go. And I understand their taking a path of
least resistance. But I really hate to see those who choose with clear and present mind,
to create problems where there are none, out of sheer laziness or arrogance/intolerance
get their way over those who prefer a more casual and humored approach to their hobby.

Whaddyagonnadoo ?
More people are doing it today than ever before !

fschrope
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Schrope
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923, 1926, 1927 TT's, 1918 cutoff touring, 1922 Coupe - original

Post by fschrope » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:53 pm

"The wheel that squeaks the loudest gets the grease." That fits here.

There are obviously some folks in higher places that think they should determine how this forum is run. Several of them aren't even here anymore. Good riddance.

It seem the whole world seems to be going this way. Everything is run by radical groups. The normal folks just get run over.

Sad.

I remember what John Regan said a few years back: paraphrased - "I"m going to enjoy it while I can and when the shooting starts tell be where to be and what to bring".

I agree.

Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Post by Tom Hicks » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:27 pm

I just don't understand how Model T owners could get a reputation for being a bunch of carping, complaining stick-in-the-muds.

But I do understand that the old forum had a spam problem which took a lot of time for the administrators. A new format was needed. A lot of time, thought, and energy went into getting this new format up. The transition has been relatively seamless. I can navigate this format, even going from the forum to the classifieds to the OT section. I can even post pictures! If I can do it, it is not difficult.

Anyone who can navigate their way to OT to complain should also be able to navigate over to OT to read and enjoy. It is not difficult.

I thank those who set up and run this forum, you have done a great job!
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

JWalters
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Walters
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by JWalters » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:33 pm

Tom Hicks wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:27 pm
I just don't understand how Model T owners could get a reputation for being a bunch of carping, complaining stick-in-the-muds.

But I do understand that the old forum had a spam problem which took a lot of time for the administrators. A new format was needed. A lot of time, thought, and energy went into getting this new format up. The transition has been relatively seamless. I can navigate this format, even going from the forum to the classifieds to the OT section. I can even post pictures! If I can do it, it is not difficult.

Anyone who can navigate their way to OT to complain should also be able to navigate over to OT to read and enjoy. It is not difficult.

I thank those who set up and run this forum, you have done a great job!
Well said Tom!

AdminJeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006

Post by AdminJeff » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:24 am

Can we call the new “Daily News” or something like that?
I can create whatever you guys can come up with. Within reason of course. Right now I’m working on figuring out how to create a member list feature that you can search using first or last name, even car type or year. What a concept!

Thanks for all the support guys. Chris and I appreciate it more than you know. I really strive to make this stuff easy and also try and explain it with lots of pictures. I’m writing an article for Vintage Mag on the whole thing so we can get even more folks to come use this thing.
E57D80D7-06BB-47B7-88C2-FBCE6B12BFD8.png
E57D80D7-06BB-47B7-88C2-FBCE6B12BFD8.png (319.79 KiB) Viewed 8646 times
Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
1921 Model T Touring, 1930 Model A Roadster
Voltage Regulators, Starter & Generator Repair
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Topic author
Charlie B in N.J.

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:00 pm

I never opened the post in question but I'll guarantee you 2 things: 1: I probably would have totally enjoyed the humor and 2: I now realize why there's an OT section. Burger is right. A number of whining cry babies made it tough on the admin and they acted. Lay you $5 the same trolls are looking here and waiting to pounce.

AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:47 pm

Charlie B in N.J. wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:00 pm
Lay you $5 the same trolls are looking here and waiting to pounce.
Trolls will always be banned and their posts deleted.

Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:12 pm

Elsewhere out in cyberspace where I roam (not car hobby but old tractors and such), there's a sub forum called Smoke, Gas and Flames, like this OT on a similar platform (not a phpbb but works and looks very similar). Another phpbb forum I've used has a Misc sub forum-stuff that doesn't belong on the main floor.
Allowing us to perhaps dare to show our other selves and interests (often related in a way too) but staying apart from the topic at hand on the main forum; I think they all work great and serve a very good purpose.
Community.
Sharing our lives with our friends. Friends we may never meet face to face but are "near and dear" as it were that we care about.
Thank you Admin. I certainly appreciate it.
2 little penny's.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Topic author
Charlie B in N.J.

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:16 am

This will sound nuts to a lot of folks but big mouth ( me) is apparently spending a bit more time here than on the T Forum. I guess there's just too many same questions being asked. Not that it's any problem as it's the T Forums main purpose.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:55 am

I was surprised to see Kalamity Dick continue for this long without more complaints. The fact that it contained much frivolity that otherwise might have corrupted a sensible thread may have helped. I have no quarrel with any who don't like the "senseless humor". There have been things I skip over that do not appeal to me. I found it a bit chicken starch the way it was brought to bear but that is that. The fact that so much knowledge finds this forum is truly amazing. The OT section could possibly take hold and overshadow the T stuff. Isn't it nice we now have the flexibility to shape it however it needs to be?
When did I do that?

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:52 am

Both Charlie and Rich, .... my sentiments, exactly.

I spend 90% of my time over here, and "over there" I do this magic thing the kids
these days call "scroll past" all the fodder of subjects I am not interested in, in hopes
there IS something that strikes my fancy. This "scrolling past" (or use of a "delete" key)
seems to be a monumental challenge for many, who coincidentally seem to have a well
worn neural pathway to the complaint facillitator, and use it frequently.

It has been my observation and experience that about 25% of car people actually realize
they are weird, ... "weird" meaning, not a boring "normal", and "normal" meaning a late
model car, vinyl siding and a hobby like Netflix, conversation centered around television
shows, politics, celebrities, shopping .....

Of that percentage, most relish the fact they are not just another "drone" and find
humor in the way the "normies" might scoff and scorn over the un-ordinary way we weirdos
live and do things. The added bonus is that the normies provide us weirdos with an endless
montage of comedy, of we choose to see it.

I have always preferred hanging around with people who don't take themselves too seriously,
laugh at themselves, and generally put more emphasis on enjoying the moment than not
coloring outside the lines. I guess the OT section is the designated area for those of us who
do that, so this is where I will spend most of my time. Pity those whose lives were so terribly
disrupted by our silliness and foolery. :lol:
More people are doing it today than ever before !

AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:19 pm

Burger in Spokane wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:52 am
Pity those whose lives were so terribly disrupted by our silliness and foolery. :lol:
I find myself spending more of my time in OT.... pity those who can't find the OT forum!

Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Topic author
Charlie B in N.J.

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:02 pm

Changed my book mark from the T Forum to this page. Hooked.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic