So we think the model T sometimes needed cooling help?

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

So we think the model T sometimes needed cooling help?

Post by Duey_C » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:01 am

Here are some nice pics of a cooling helper for the Fordson F tractor.
One report shown in a big book of tractors about the Fordson F: "Some farmers found it hard to believe that anything could get so hot in the summertime and still freeze in the winter."... There was more to be said about the Fordson F including some farmers kept a barrel at the end of the rows for make-up water...
A nice fellow allowed use of these pics from 2018 on another site.
Kind of cool! Pun not intended. :)
Attachments
IMG_3105.jpg
IMG_3106.jpg
IMG_3107.jpg
IMG_3108.jpg
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Re: So we think the model T sometimes needed cooling help?

Post by Rich Bingham » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:06 am

Interesting ! A tractor is certainly a different beast from a motorcar; more like a stationary engine in terms of cooling, not enough "speed" to improve air flow, but heavier load, like plowing deep in heavy soil can sure lead to overheating. I note that the Fordsons pack a relatively huge radiator !

Old tractors are nearly as fascinating as antique cars. I've had the pleasure of working some (not really ancient ones) each had their advantages and idiosyncrasies. My favorite was a '47 Case model D, an incredibly strong puller. The '52 Farmall "H" was the best "row crop" tractor, but the handiest all around was the '41 Ford 9N because of the 3-point hitch. It wouldn't pull your hat off, but it was incredibly versatile !
"Get a horse !"

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Re: So we think the model T sometimes needed cooling help?

Post by ironhorse » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:49 am

WOW! you ought to be able to move some water with that "boat propeller" in that pump. Thanks for sharing.
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic