What's legal in the USA?

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Chris Barker
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Barker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe

What's legal in the USA?

Post by Chris Barker » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:31 am

Here in the UK we get some US car programmes. Some are good; others not so.

I quite like Sin City Motors - nice people who are skilled in what they do -but I have to ask if what they produce is legal to drive on public roads?
Those blown diesels which belch black smoke out of vertical stacks, spikes sticking out of wheel hubs and fenders, gassers that are so high that they cannot be stable. Are these all OK?
What regulations apply to hot rods etc? Not the FMVSS that's for sure!

And when the Fantomworks boss tests a car down the streets with no lights, hood etc. Is that allowed or is he just taking a chance?

Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Re: What's legal in the USA?

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:17 am

I am going to guess that you are speaking of "Reality Shows"? I doubt there is much reality in any of them.

But as far as legality, it differs from state to state.

In Virginia a car over 25 years old can be licensed as "Antique" and legally driven. That plate does have many restrictions, but it serves well for most who enjoy the hobby in Virginia.

"If you plan to use your antique vehicle or trailer solely as a collector's item, you may register your vehicle with antique license plates or permanent vintage license plates.
Registering your vehicle either of these ways limits your use of the vehicle to:
Participation in antique car club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events.
Testing its operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance, selling the vehicle or trailer, transportation to and from events as described in number 1 above and for the occasional pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from your residence.
Carrying or transporting passengers, personal effects or other antique motor vehicles being transported for show purposes.
You may not use your vehicle for general, daily transportation. This includes, but is not limited to, driving to and from work."
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/antique.html

This is a much abused provision of the law. For example, I often see pickup trucks from the 70's and 80's at the landfill where they are dumping building materials. These guys save some money on registration and tags by getting Antique Plates, plus they do not have to get an annual inspection. But, in my opinion, they are abusing the privelege and this could come back to haunt legitimate Antique Plate owners if there is a law change.

And that is just one state!

Once one starts modifying an antique vehicle the laws concerning licensing change and get complicated. For anyone who wants the correct answer, I suggest that you call Virginia State Police Headquarters. They are very nice and can answer your questions authoritatively since they are the ones who enforce them.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:44 am

Not only state to state, as Tom said, but laws/enforcement of laws, can vary from city to city.
Example, most places around here, I can rumble through with my H-D with open drag pipes and no worries. A few small towns, you best be idling and keep as "quiet" as you can, or get pulled over. Individual discretion of officers is at play also. Most places I have been, if you don't act like a moron, you'll be fine.

Reality shows are usually WAY far from reality.

Derek Kiefer
First Name: Derek
Last Name: Kiefer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Touring, 1926 Gow Job
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Derek Kiefer » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:24 am

It's only illegal if you get caught. ;)

Layden Butler
First Name: Layden
Last Name: Butler

Post by Layden Butler » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:55 pm

It is my understanding that a "reality show" is by definition, a program that is filmed outside a studio, out there in reality. The plot, content, script,,characters, etc may have nothing to do with actual happening in the real ( that is you and I) world. It may be completely made up, faked, staged and a downright lie, just not filmed in a studio!

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:42 pm

Huh? Never thought of the news as a reality show. Makes sense now.

Mindless Automaton
First Name: Kep
Last Name: Kerensky
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 truck, 26 bug
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Mindless Automaton » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:05 pm

Lots of things are legal there.
Most of the cars on their TV shows could never ever be road legal here.
Frames have to be welded & joined a certain way, and no cut & welded or heated &, bent castings. Ackerman geometry. No welded steering shafts. Brake tests involve stopped a certain amount of times from 100KPH within 5 minutes. Cars that aren't modified for high performance would fail because they can't go that fast from a stop in 5 minute. Approval committees. So many regulations.

But in the USA you can cut, weld, bend, and use exotic parts all you like. Brakes over there seem pretty easy to modify as they only have to function, i don't see any 100 page books on how they are to be made. Want more stopping power? bolt on bigger brakes. No skid test or balance bias tests.

'States seems like paradise for a car modifier.

46woodduck
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Petry

Post by 46woodduck » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:51 am

As the "Police advisor" of our car club used to say back in the 1960s, "it's not illegal, it's unlawful, illegal is a sick bird".
Life is good on the lunatic fringe. Tom

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic