Dear Abby

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Dear Abby

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:41 pm

Dear Abby,

I just bought a Model T and my mechanic says it has "castellated nuts". I was too embarrassed to ask what that meant. Is it a bad thing?

Signed,

Joanie
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

James_B_NC
First Name: James
Last Name: Bennington
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Roadster
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Dear Abby

Post by James_B_NC » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:51 pm

Here you go. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castellated_nut

It has notches cut in it so you can put a cotter pin (or nail, bailing wire, etc. Whatever gets you home.) through it. There will be a hole drilled near the end of the bolt for this.
The forum's resident Millennial.

Topic author
Tom Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:59 pm

James_b_nc wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:51 pm
Here you go. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castellated_nut

It has notches cut in it so you can put a cotter pin (or nail, bailing wire, etc. Whatever gets you home.) through it. There will be a hole drilled near the end of the bolt for this.
Thanks for the answer, but proper form would be more like the following:

Dear Joanie,

I am not sure, but I think it means they have been "cut". This is done to "gentle it down", so maybe it will not be as obstreperous as it once was. Hope you didn't plan to breed it.

Signed,

Abby
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:01 pm

Dear Abby,

I have had an aversion ever since my great granddaddy told me that my grandmother was conceived in one. He didn't think it any big deal. Was that common back then?

Signed,

Questionable Ancestry

46woodduck
Last Name: Petry

Post by 46woodduck » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:26 am

Dear Questionable Ancestry,

Not to worry, back in the day many people were conceived in an aversion who turned out perfectly normal. Quite common and people are probably doing aversion therapy today.

Signed,

Abby
Life is good on the lunatic fringe. Tom

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:44 am

46woodduck wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:26 am

Not to worry, back in the day many people were conceived in an aversion who turned out perfectly normal. Quite common and people are probably doing aversion therapy today.

Signed,

Abby
Dear Abby,

Thanks. Your answer makes sense, but my question was incorrectly asked. What I meant was:

"I have had an aversion to T''s ever since my great granddaddy told me that my grandmother was conceived in the back seat of one. He didn't think it any big deal. Was that common back then?"

Signed,

Questionable Ancestry

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:49 am

Dear Abby,

Yesterday morning I left early to get my hair done and my T broke started sputtering and died three blocks from home. I left it on the side of the road and walked back to my abode only to find the maid sitting on my husbands lap, her shirt was off. I have suspected this for a longtime, but actually seeing them together threw me into a tizzy. He continues to deny what my eyes saw. I am mortified and embarrassed by his behavior and really don't know which way to turn. What should I do?

Signed,

Cheated on

yukonjack
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Murray
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 light express
MTFCI Number: 24449
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by yukonjack » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:41 am

"Dear Joanie, Dear Joanie, you have no complaint,
you are what you are, and you ain't what you ain't,
Signed, Dear Abby"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2ccC4aULow

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Post by ironhorse » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:59 am

Dear Cheated,

Do not trouble your heart with such dalliances. Tell him to give you his credit card and passwords to Snyder's and langs and order EVERYTHING your T's mechanical heart desires.
Signed Abby.
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:34 am

Dear Abby,

My wife says my T won't like me if I curse it when working on it. Should I speak nicely to her when she acts up?

Signed,

&@##! %%%$##&*

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:42 am

Speak harshly to your Model T,
And curse it when it hitches,
It only does that to annoy,
So steer between the ditches.
"Get a horse !"

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:47 am

Same as happy wife, happy life?
Happy T, happy me?

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:11 pm

Tom Hicks wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:49 am
Dear Abby,

Yesterday morning I left early to get my hair done and my T broke started sputtering and died three blocks from home. I left it on the side of the road and walked back to my abode only to find the maid sitting on my husbands lap, her shirt was off. I have suspected this for a longtime, but actually seeing them together threw me into a tizzy. He continues to deny what my eyes saw. I am mortified and embarrassed by his behavior and really don't know which way to turn. What should I do?

Signed,

Cheated on
Dear Cheated On,

If your T was sputtering before it died there is a good chance it is out of gas. The first thing to do is add gas to the tank and see if she will fire up.

Signed,

Dear Abby

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:53 pm

Abby will be taking questions. Please post them on this thread. Model T related questions are always good, she doesn't know crap from applebutter about them, but she always speaks authoritatively!

Rich Bingham

Post by Rich Bingham » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:09 pm

Tom Hicks wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:53 pm
. . . she doesn't know crap from applebutter about them, but she always speaks authoritatively!
So what makes her any different from most of us who post here ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Get a horse !"

46woodduck

Post by 46woodduck » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:14 pm

Tom Hicks wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:44 am
46woodduck wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:26 am

Signed,

Abby
Dear Abby,

Thanks. Your answer makes sense, but my question was incorrectly asked. What I meant was:

"I have had an aversion to T''s ever since my great granddaddy told me that my grandmother was conceived in the back seat of one. He didn't think it any big deal. Was that common back then?"

Signed,

Questionable Ancestry

Yes, it was far more common back then than it is today. There are many less Ts on the road these days and there isn't enough room in the back seat of a Prius.

Signed,

Abby

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:14 am

Dear Abby,

A couple of years ago my husband bought a Model T and I thought it wonderful how much fun he had with it. But now we have five in various states of disrepair taking up the garage space and the shed he built to park them in. Now he says he needs to build another building for his shop and garage so I can have my old parking space in the present garage back. How can I stop these things from multiplying?

Signed,

Too Many T's

Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:40 am

Dear too many T's

You lost this fight when he brought the 1st one home. There is no help now it has begun. My advise is if its cold out, start your car early to defrost and warm up. Keep a shovel by the door to get to your car and a broom to brush the snow off. In warm season an umbrella is a good thing on rainy days.

By all means let him build another building. The T's need to be inside along with the truck loads of parts he needs to have.

Your truly " No Help"

Rich Bingham

Post by Rich Bingham » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:03 pm

Dear Too Many,

See the above advice on "removing castellated nuts". A Model T gelding cannot reproduce. Similarly, Model Ts with Model A or Scat cranks, HC heads, Ruxtells, Warfords, distributer ignition, etc., etc., are "hybrids" and like mules, are sterile and cannot reproduce. Hope his helps.
"Get a horse !"

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:40 pm

Dear Abby,

I am a little concerned. My daughter says my son-in-law says that his new T has a seat just for me. Is that a good thing?

Signed,

Mother-in-Law

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:44 pm

Rich Bingham wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:03 pm
Dear Too Many,

See the above advice on "removing castellated nuts". A Model T gelding cannot reproduce. Similarly, Model Ts with Model A or Scat cranks, HC heads, Ruxtells, Warfords, distributer ignition, etc., etc., are "hybrids" and like mules, are sterile and cannot reproduce. Hope his helps.
Dear Abby,

He says he likes them "correct, not corrected". But it seems like one would be enough, how many can he drive at the same time?

Signed,

Too Many

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:15 pm

Dear Abby,

I joined a Model T Forum and it has a bunch of section, a main forum where they talk about silly stuff like transmissions and paint and correct Model T mechanical things, a Classified section where they list old junk for sale, and an Off Topic Section. I prefer the OT, but some posters seem to think it a bad thing and taboo.

Is it OK if I just go to the OT and skip the rest?

Signed,

T OT Lover

fschrope
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Schrope
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923, 1926, 1927 TT's, 1918 cutoff touring, 1922 Coupe - original

Post by fschrope » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:46 pm

I would like to know who the "movers and shakers" are that operate in the background deciding how the forum should be run........and I'm not talking about the administrators.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:05 pm

Tom Hicks wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:15 pm
Dear Abby,

I joined a Model T Forum and it has a bunch of section, a main forum where they talk about silly stuff like transmissions and paint and correct Model T mechanical things, a Classified section where they list old junk for sale, and an Off Topic Section. I prefer the OT, but some posters seem to think it a bad thing and taboo.

Signed,

T OT Lover
=================================================

Dear T OT Lover,

Your point is quite valid. Life is much deeper than strict single-subjects. In any sort of
subject where others are involved, the personal interaction and camraderie can be every
bit as meaningful as the on-topic subject that bring people together in the first place.
Often we find we have all sort of other things in common when allowed to venture off topic
in conversation. Makes for a well-rounded social interaction. Whatever you decide to do,
follow your heart and feel no shame if others may respond scornfully. Your opinion is just
as valuable as theirs. 🎉
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:10 am

Dear Abby,

A young man asked my daughter on a date and intends to drive her to an ice cream shop for the outing. Does that sound proper and wholesome?

Signed,

Worried Mother

46woodduck

Post by 46woodduck » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:10 am

Tom Hicks wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:10 am
Dear Abby,

A young man asked my daughter on a date and intends to drive her to an ice cream shop for the outing. Does that sound proper and wholesome?

Signed,

Worried Mother
Dear Worried Mother,

I wouldn't worry about the ice cream shop, but be sure that they don't order any extra nuts on the Banana Splits.

Signed,
Abby

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:38 am

I am most concerned that this worried mother is so callously typecasting her progeny
and date in such gender specific identifications. The balatant ageism is repusively offensive.
This would be much more PC appropriate if stated:

A gender-neutral individual, against which I shall make no baseless judgements of age, asked
my child, who only identifies as a color of the rainbow, on a date, and intends to drive said child
to an ice cream shop for the outing. Do I sound properly PC, and how can I address my own self
worth in this ?

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:53 am

46woodduck wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:10 am
Tom Hicks wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:10 am
Dear Abby,

Signed,

Worried Mother
Dear Worried Mother,

I wouldn't worry about the ice cream shop, but be sure that they don't order any extra nuts on the Banana Splits.

Signed,
Abby
And if they do, make sure they are castellated.

Loftfield
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:00 am

There are many misconceptions in this thread. Whether the nuts are castellated or not has very little to do with reproduction of Model T's. Instead, it is necessary to review earlier posts dealing with the placement of bells on the front axle, something that some owners of Model T's do based on old Model T lore. It is my suspicion that the "bells" were, originally balls, and likely had much, much, more to do with Model T reproduction. Perhaps we need to begin a study to see if folks who put bells, or balls, on the front axle have more Model T's in their possession than do those of us who have failed to follow this early Model T lore. I have put neither bells, or balls, on the front axle of my cars, and I have only two Model T's in my possession.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:47 am

Dear Lefty,
The cotter pins were put there to scrape troughs in the skin and let the bad blood out. This relieves the high blood pressure when working under the car. Much like bleeding with leeches in past centuries it is therapeutically.
Cotter.jpg
When did I do that?

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:35 am

Dear Abby,

Someone keeps hacking into my favorite forum. Imagine if they put their knowledge and creativity into something useful like actually building a hack. How did these children get so misdirected?

Signed,

Hacked

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:37 pm

Dear Abby,

Since my hubby bought a Model T, there seems to be a direct correlation between his mood and how well the T is running. Does that make sense?

Signed,

Tired of Grumpy

46woodduck

Post by 46woodduck » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:22 pm

Tom Hicks wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:37 pm
Dear Abby,

Since my hubby bought a Model T, there seems to be a direct correlation between his mood and how well the T is running. Does that make sense?

Signed,

Tired of Grumpy
Dear Tired of Grumpy,

You need to realize that once he bought a Model T, very little in his world will make sense. Yes, his mood will often depend on how well the T is running so be prepared to accept his moods. Above all else, you must learn to enjoy time in the garage and to read the Model T Ford Service Manual, because you will be much happier when you can work on the T together.

Signed,

Abby

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:00 pm

Dear Abby,

My favorite Forum has an OT section. Am I allowed to post religious and political threads there?

Signed,

Didn't Read the Directions

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:30 pm

Dear DRTD,

Probably a good idea. I'd press on with earnest.

Abby

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488

Post by Duey_C » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:54 am

Dear Abby.
My wife thinks me crazy for getting hooked on Twin City tractors again (a 30 year old drug addiction brought back to the surface by chance) and is afraid I'll let the '18 Runabout project languish and will never be able to take the old bear out for ice cream.
Is there any help for me or am I sunk?
Dazed and Confused
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:29 am

Duey_C wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:54 am
Dear Abby.
My wife thinks me crazy for getting hooked on Twin City tractors again (a 30 year old drug addiction brought back to the surface by chance) and is afraid I'll let the '18 Runabout project languish and will never be able to take the old bear out for ice cream.
Is there any help for me or am I sunk?
Dazed and Confused
Dear D and C,

Duey finish the '18, or don't he? You have a tough situation with an easy answer.

1. Donate your '18 to "Dear Abby".
2. Work on the tractor so it can work for you.
3. Put an attachment with comfy seat on the rear of the tractor so your wife can ride to get ice cream!

Signed,

Dear Abby

AdminJeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by AdminJeff » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:34 am

Tom Hicks wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:15 pm
Dear Abby,
Signed,
T OT Lover
Tot Lover,
Perhaps the Gods above should let me create a Dear Abby Forum and then I could banish you all to He.. I mean to that Forum.

AdminJeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
1921 Model T Touring, 1930 Model A Roadster
Voltage Regulators, Starter & Generator Repair
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Duey_C
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup

Post by Duey_C » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:21 am

Jeff, at the risk of being banned to He.. (Heck): I just wanted to say this to Tom. :)
That was uber funny! It took me 5 times to get the "Duey or Don't he" finish the '18? bit!
:lol:
T OT Lover: I think Dear Abby does it sometimes too... ;) I go right for the OT Landia yet the general forum is my first tab on my browser... :)

Model T's, old Twin City tractors and gas engines (or your own bits of choice), the drugs that will keep you satiated for YEARS instead of just a few hours. ;)
I unabashedly say I like T's, tractors and engines. Whew, I almost typed that I like them all! :shock:
They all fit in my old timey SCHEME around here. "Does it run?"..."It may be a hundred years old but ya it runs, let's go see if it's in the mood! You wanna crank it for me?" :lol:
Oooh ya. My Twin City tractor (drug) dealer will be showing up with another old treat in a few weeks! Maybe another to come.
:)

AdminJeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by AdminJeff » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:06 am

I love this thread!!!
Assistant WebSite Admin
1921 Model T Touring, 1930 Model A Roadster
Voltage Regulators, Starter & Generator Repair
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:26 pm

Dear Abby,

A few years ago my husband bought a Model T. He keeps buying more! Yesterday he said he needed more space, so I locked him outside. Did I do the right thing?

Signed,

Fed Up

Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:04 pm

Dear Fed Up,
Not good to lock him out of the house. He will just go to the garage and spend more time with his T's. You are enabling him in a round about way.
The best advise is to ask him for your own T, then keep him busy working on yours.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191

Post by Ruxstel24 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:44 pm

My dear Fed up.
The longer he's outside, the more Ts and T parts will follow him home.
Best thing to do is go outside and rub a little grease on your face....

Signed,
Inevitable

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:58 pm

Dear Abby,

Mommy got angry and told Daddy either he had to get rid of the T or she was leaving. He says he will miss her.

I'm staying with the T, but who's going to braid my hair so it won't blow around when I ride in the T with Daddy?

Signed,

Little Girl with Long Hair

Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:43 am

Dear Little Girl with long hair.

Daddy will learn to braid your hair.
Very similar to a Model T horn wire, he can practice with that.
Girls look good in a hat too. ;)
You can get a new mommy, a T is forever :lol:
Maybe he can afford a coupe now also...

Sincerely
Wendy

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:13 pm

Dear Readers,

Abby is happy to answer your questions! Please print your question clearly on one side of the paper and send it on in.

Signed,

Dear Abby

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:59 pm

Dear Abby,

My son likes to help his father work on the T, but when he commences to cursing and hollering it annoys me. Is there a solution?

Signed,

Peeved

P.S. Is "unobtainium" slang for what I think it is?

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:06 am

Dear Abby,

Your sister called and informed me that you are posting on a Model T forum. My, how the mighty have fallen. How can you lower yourself to that level. AND, you are posting with the questionable riff raff on OT?

Dear, how hard did I work to bring you up correctly? And now you bring disgrace to the family, plus how can your sister maintain a modicum of decorum in her business with you behaving like this.

I demand that you cease and desist.

Signed,

Your Disappointed Mother

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:59 am

Tom Hicks wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:06 am
Dear Abby,

Your sister called and informed me that you are posting on a Model T forum. My, how the mighty have fallen. How can you lower yourself to that level. AND, you are posting with the questionable riff raff on OT?

Dear, how hard did I work to bring you up correctly? And now you bring disgrace to the family, plus how can your sister maintain a modicum of decorum in her business with you behaving like this.

I demand that you cease and desist.

Signed,

Your Disappointed Mother
Dear Mom,

I am sorry that I disappoint you, but I am going where I am needed. Most of my questions come from ladies who are married to a guy who owns a Model T. Obviously these people need a lot of help!

You and Anne continue with your high society ways and I won't mind, those people really need help also, but please don't denigrate me for following my calling.

Your Daughter,

Abby

Rich Bingham

Post by Rich Bingham » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:44 pm

Dear Abby,
I run a demolition and earth-moving business. Recently we got the job of clearing a 40-acre wooded property of a 160 year old three-storey house, and all the trees for a new strip-mall. It will be great! With all the trees cut down, the locals will be able to see the scenery, and a "Panadera", a "Fopeye's" and a "Bedbugs and Beyond" will be anchor stores with lots for retail space. The terms of our contract state we can salvage anything from the property and buildings. We'll just bull-doze the house and burn the trash, I expect, but here's the interesting part. There's an old Model T Ford in the front parlor that we're told has been there since sometime in 1909. The original owner was an eccentric in his late seventies who bought the car, and we're told drove it 85mph 46 miles from the dealer to his home. It's believable, the odometer shows 46 miles, and I've been reading on-line about how fast these old buggies can go. The drive home terrified that old man, and he had several heart-attacks in rapid succession, then took to his bed, where he died a month after buying the car, but not before he provided in his wiil that the car should be moved into the front parlor, and kept there.

It's in pretty good shape for a 110 year old car, and I think I'll keep it for a driver. I've had some "T" guys look it over, they found a two-digit number on the motor, sixes or eights, it's hard to tell. They tell me it's a "Tourabout", but I'm a big, heavy-set guy, and don't fit too good in that tiny seat; also, them two levers are in my way, and confusing. I've been making contacts in the Model T club, there's a guy who has a sawmill powerplant rigged from a '26 model, those wide pedals would work good for me, so I plan to pull the old motor and put that '26 in its place. Probably along with the radiator, I know I don't want to waste my time polshing brass. I'm also thinking I can remove that silly little seat and bolt on the old LazyBoy recliner that's out in the front yard. I been looking at pictures on the Model T Forum, and I see all of the best-looking cars are red. I think that new-generation pearlescent red like the special edition 2019 Mustang has would be great, and authentic, too - it's a Ford color. That grey its got on it just don't do it for me. Oh! before I forget, the original tires on it hold air and are pliable, but I see the 4.40x21" balloon tires are cheaper than the old sizes. How hard would it be to swap the wheels ? Some of my new friends have said something about "square-ended axle shafts" - whatever that means.

I guess my dilemma is a few of the guys I've met in the local club seem unhappy about my plans for fixing up this old car. I keep reading over and over on the forum "it's your car, do what you want with it." What would you do if you was me ?
Thanks for your help,

New Model T Enthusiast
"Get a horse !"

Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:47 pm

Dear New T Enthusiast...
While yes, it's your car, but a near zero mileage 2 lever, that should definitely be in a museum.
If you dismembered it, you're turning a 6 figure car into a 5 figure car.
Surely there's a special place for you in the afterlife. The Ford Gods will not be happy.
Find another car to mutilate and drive.
Or I can trade you for a driver !! :mrgreen:

Signed Mortified

P.S. Karma is watching :lol:

Duey_C

Post by Duey_C » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:41 pm

:lol:

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:12 am

Dear New Model T Enthusiast,

Two words: Small Block Chevy. The rest is details. Will go well with that
yard couch too. Billet is also a popular upgrade option. Liberally applied, you
too can live the illusion that hot rods are chick magnets.

I cannot tell you how thrilled I am to hear another old place will be cleansed
from existence, replaced with much needed retail outlet space and ample parking.
Which will surely offer excellent car show potential for you and your new Model T.
Sounds like a win-win situation, if there ever was one.

Signed,
el Douché

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:14 am

Dear New Model T Enthusiast,

Unfortunately those older cars that have been stored for years are not worth much. The guys in your car club want you to spend a fortune fixing it up, misery loves company.

That car was not meant to run over 30 mph, much less over 80. Undoubtedly damage was done to all moving parts due to lack of lubrication at that speed. And those old cars had babbit thrust washers, rebuilding a rear is a pain. After sitting for years the carburetor probably needs rebuilding. Many of the parts for that year and model are made of unobtainium. You are talking many thousands of dollars to get that heap back on the road. A simple paint job can run into the thousands.

I suggest that you donate the car to Dear Abby. I have a soft heart for old vehicles like that and I will preserve and protect it even though it has almost no value. I just like old things. Please contact me about where I should pick it up and I will give you a receipt so you can take the charitable donation off of your taxes. I know it is foolish of me to accept such an old vehicle, but we all have our weaknesses.

Signed,

Dear Abby

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:23 am

Dear Abby,

Last night I left my TT parked outside and my neighbor's cat got in the engine compartment where it was warm. I decided to go to the gym early in the morning hours and the TT fired right up, but there came a frightful banging and thumping from the engine, then it quit. I suspect the cat was asleep on the top of the engine and got tangled in the ignition wires, then got caught up in the fan. It was moving slowly as it came out from under the car. It ended up expired on the side of his driveway.

Now I have to clean the blood out of my engine compartment, the fan blade is bent, and then I have to troubleshoot the engine for why it won't run. Should my neighbor recompense me for my time and effort to fix the damage done by his cat?

Signed,

One down a few million more to go

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:20 am

Dear One down a few million more to go,

Clearly, with a "million more to go", your intentions run deeper than mere compensation.

Genocide seems to becoming more popular again, and most research indicates that serial
killers start with animals. You might consider jumpstarting your new venture by killing the
neighbor too, and taking his property and assets. Do you have access to explosives and any
combat-design firearms ? Are there any schools in your area ? Animals and children make
easy targets. Gun-free zones all but guarantee no immediate resistance.

Good luck !

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:11 pm

huh
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured