South Bend Milling Machine - tooling source and valuable info

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

South Bend Milling Machine - tooling source and valuable info

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:44 pm

As an owner of a 1950's era South Bend milling machine, I've used it as a distant second to my primary mill, due to the fact that tooling for it is somewhat (VERY!) limited. If you own one, you probably have the 30MM tooling like I have. Since the advent of eBay and years of haunting used machinery dealers, I have amassed a small functional group of very basic and by no means comprehensive tooling.

I have recently realized that the extremely common and inexpensive NMTB 30 tooling is basically the same thing as 30MM.

My first purchase of NMTB 30 tooling to be modified to old 30MM has gone swimmingly well, and the machine is now in regular use, because of it.

The primary difference in the NMTB 30 tooling is the fact that it has a protrusion on the end for a draw-bar. That is easily removed. It also now lacks the two pockets in which the 30MM set screws nestle in to which secure the tooling to the quill. That is easily machined into the tool using rudimentary fixturing and a 7/16 carbide cutter.

I mention this, because 1) I am a tool nut and am thrilled to be putting a machine into daily use which for the last 15 years only saw semi-annual use, and 2) there are probably others out there like me who cannot find tooling and do not know the perfect alternative out there. If this is you, you may feel free to contact me off-line for more info. It is too obscure to discuss to much on this forum, but too valuable for a select group to keep under wraps.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Re: South Bend Milling Machine - tooling source and valuable info

Post by Kevin Pharis » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:50 pm

So... the NMTB 30 is essentially the same as the 30mm, except it has the threaded protrusion. Are you aware that the much more available BT30 is essentially the same as the NMTB 30, except does not have the threaded protrusion. Typically the CT/BT tool holders even have the same drawbar thread as their NMTB equivalents.

There are many NMTB machines that have been converted to CT/BT taper tool holders as they are much more available and offer much more variety.

Topic author
Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:23 am

Kevin

thanks for taking the time for the reply. Yes, I know about the other tooling. The problem is, (for me at least) that for the 30MM, you need to mill the retaining-screw flats into the new tooling...a simple fixture is required and the threaded lug on the end of the NMTB30 tooling provides the perfect "draw-bar" to pull it into the tooling for that milling operation...after the set-screw pockets are milled into the new tooling, the threaded end is simply lopped off. Starting with tooling with no threads on the end saves the "lop off" operation, but makes the tooling and holding of the new tool more complicated for the pocket-milling operation. Not awful, but more complicated.

In any event, it is nice of you to weigh in. Thank you.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:31 pm

Isn’t it funny how a little extra material can make all the difference... glad you were able to nail down a simple process for modifying available tooling and saving you machine.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic