What have you done on an old non-Model T vehicle.

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Dan Haynes
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Re: What have you done on an old non-Model T vehicle.

Post by Dan Haynes » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:10 pm

I always thought the Flanders was a great looking car, along with its bigger sister the Garford. Handsome, distinctive radiator shape; much more interesting than the EMF shape Studebaker later adopted as their own.
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

PDGx
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Grohsmeyer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘17 TT Holmes Wrecker
MTFCA Number: 27359
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by PDGx » Mon May 23, 2022 9:05 pm

Nice Flanders.
Last edited by PDGx on Fri May 27, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Mon May 23, 2022 9:47 pm

Beatiful! :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Tue May 24, 2022 4:47 am

WOW ! just WOW !
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Topic author
Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:06 pm

Well, we do what we can with what we have got. I posted this 3 years ago and was quite pleased with making gears for my Buick water pump.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2454#p39157
The gears pumped water so much better than when they were restricting the flow rather than making it. Today a fellow posted some original ones on the Brass Buick site. Lower right in this photo. Lower left is another failed pair. I can see what they really looked like originally now.
BkPmp.jpg
I am happy I did what I did. If I was sure it would be an improvement I would make new ones. But perhaps what I made was a better design. :lol:
Knowing the difference is certainly a good thing.
Keep at it.
Rich
When did I do that?

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:47 pm

NOT a vehicle but it gets towed by 1.
1 of my neighbors I have always been able to depend on to help me if I really needed it called me 1 day last week and ask if I could help him fix his old mortar mixer. "sure". Turns out he was in the middle of a major job and needed it bad.

WOW, 1 day i will learn!
anyhow, the bearing was up in a pipe and there was no simple pulling to be done. THis is what I wound up with.
I welded 2 peices of threaded rod into the bearing and then had to cut it off the shaft and out of the pipe.Didn't scar either 1! I was LUCKY.
Attachments
bearing 2.JPG
bearing 1.JPG
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Mark Gregush
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:33 am

1920 Dodge Brothers. Replaced the whole water pump and drive gear assembly to get better shaft for pulley. Adjusted the valves. Changed the oil, topped off the transmission and rear end. Put the plates on. Washed it. Adjusted the brakes. Took for several short drives. Still looks like a "barn find", but at least I can take it for short drives, none longer than I would want to walk home, from when a tire lets its air out. :D
Last edited by Mark Gregush on Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Dan Haynes
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by Dan Haynes » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:32 pm

After a horrified look at what new tires would cost for the Stanley sedan, it was times to stock up on jumbo-sized jugs of Blechewhite and a new box of SOS pads
20220724_110933.jpg
20220724_111006.jpg
20210816_135256_resized_1.jpg
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

5 WoodenWheels
First Name: Gerrit
Last Name: Marks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by 5 WoodenWheels » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:25 am

I took my 1973 Vélosolex French motorized bike out of the garage and thought about putting the fuel system together. Then I went and did something else. Need to put the headlight assembly back on as well. Lots of work and a few parts to get it to this point, won’t bore you with details. Very popular in France for many years, cheap and reliable transportation. This one was intended for the American market, imported through Detroit which was a hub of distribution. Gerrit
Attachments
86159E2D-2E1C-449E-B20C-86B05E261220.jpeg

Topic author
Rich Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:43 pm

Dan, from my standpoint the discolored whitewalls are beautiful. Thanks for taking pictures before scouring them.
Rich :D
When did I do that?

CudaMan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)

Post by CudaMan » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:55 pm

Since the heat wave broke, a friend came down to visit and help with another test drive of my 1912 Flanders 20 Runabout. This time I leaned the carb out a bit and increased the base timing, the car seemed to like the changes.

The car now goes fast enough that I need to install some cushion material around the lamp lenses before they rattle themselves to pieces. That wasn't important when the car was just a museum display, but it is now! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09wNGLkZEMk&t=4s
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO

paul schaefer
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Schaefer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1908 S roadster, 1914 Touring,1925 touring, 1926 Truck, 1926 roadster PU, 1926 Coup
MTFCA Number: 27069
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by paul schaefer » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:50 am

I had the opportunity to drive Rob’s model B Ford on last Wednesdays mini tour in New London about 40 miles. The most distance a model B has traveled in 100 years. Happy to report the car performed well. Would have done the 125 mile run on Saturday but due to illness the car had to leave. Was sure an honor to be in trusted with it’s care. Hopefully it will be at OCF in September.

Topic author
Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:11 pm

The tail lamp on the '07 Buick had lost the knurled nut on the door. On investigating I found it loose on it's mounting on the rear bracket.
Lamp1.jpg
This is a fairly nice reproduction but the mounting bracket was fabricated from 4 pieces soldered together. The stress from the screw that holds it on had finally cracked and broken the lower portion at each side of the slot. While heating the remaining solder from the crack the two side pieces let go. I choose to silver solder the crack in the main piece and then soft solder the sides back on. The fact that the bracket was screwed on rather than riveted and soldered made it easier to do without getting the rest of the lamp hot.
Lamp2.jpg
Trying to polish just the effected areas too much polish spurted out of the bottle like ketchup sometimes does and I used it up polishing the whole lamp. I should polish all the brass more often.
Lamp work is rewarding. The heat and flux can make things look horrible but with some effort it can look wonderful again.
Rich
P. S. I did find an appropriate knurled nut and put it on very tight this time. :D
When did I do that?

BHarper
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Harper
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '20 TT Farm Truck, '24 TT Depot Hack, '24 Coupe, and a 1914 Metz Model 22 Torpedo Runabout
MTFCA Number: 5414
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by BHarper » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:22 pm

Over the last six weeks or so, I have made a few opportunities (read that as neglecting Responsible Adult chores and obligations🙄) to work on my '14 Metz Model 22.
I removed the radiator, Again, in hopes of making a permanent repair to a persistent leak. As I was beginning to mount the radiator back into the car, I stopped and gave more consideration to a possible underlying cause to the persistent leak, something beyond my previous failed soldering jobs.

Those of you familiar with brass Ts know that, unlike the later cars with their spring cushioned radiator, the only cushion is a piece of leather under each ear of the radiator.
My Metz has none. The Metz automobile is no where near as well documented as our beloved Model T. I don't know if there was supposed to be a leather cushion used or not.
I added a piece to each side and installed the radiator. The radiator inlet and the cylinder head outlet are now better aligned than they ever have been and I am hoping that this will reduce the stress on the top tank.

There is more to reassemble and then there are few bits to fabricate for the transmission, replacing those which fell off during the last outing.

20220911_122203.jpg

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:57 pm

Does the Metz radiator have a lower mount similar to a Model T? If so, a pad both under and over the mount would probably be advantageous. If possible, a spring under the bolt head or nut would be of further advantage. More distance between the radiator neck and the water outlet would also help isolate the radiator from vibration and strain, but I don't see how that could be accomplished, other than using a "live" hose and keeping the clamps away from the ends of the metal parts. I'd want as much flexibility in the upper and lower hose connections as can be had, short of modifying original parts.

CudaMan

Post by CudaMan » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:14 pm

After fixing the water pump leak on my 1912 Flanders, I took it out for a test drive and the ignition failed, I had to have the car towed home on a flatbed. After making some checks, I'm convinced (for now) that there is a problem inside the rebuilt coil box, so I dove in and opened up that can of worms. After taking lots of pictures and making lots of notes, I plan to disassemble the whole thing, test each component, then rebuild it again with longer wires and more secure solder joints. I'm also going to attach the bottom with small screws instead of long nails to make it easier to disassemble next time.
Attachments
deep_dive_rv_rebuilt_coil_box.JPG
coil_box_bottom_02.JPG
coil_box_bottom_01.JPG
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic