58 years ago today

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

58 years ago today

Post by ironhorse » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:11 am

I was in the 4th grade. The Principle came over the school announcing system and told all of the teachers to report to his office and the dean's would be patrolling the hallways for about 15 minutes. When Mrs.Lamb returned to the class she didn't say anything but the class was totally silent, even as Children we knew something was very wrong. It took her "Forever" to speak when she told us about President Kennedy. She told us Our parents had been notified and that those of us who walked to school were free to leave and the buses would be there shortly for the others. Hard to believe it has been that long ago. :cry:
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: 58 years ago today

Post by DLodge » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:02 am

As a newly-commissioned second lieutenant, I had been assigned to Little Rock AFB a few months earlier. I had just finished lunch at the Officers' Club with a couple of friends and we were on our way out when a woman came through the front door crying and said, "He should never have gone to Dallas!" No one got much done for the rest of the day.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:35 am

Dallas gave President Kennedy a very enthusiastic welcome. One murderous little 2-legged rat did not.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:50 am

I was a line assigner for Pacific Telephone in San Diego. That day one of the women answered her telepnone and started crying. She informed us about his being shot. It seems to me, that it was later, either that day or the next day, his death was confirmed.
Norm

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:56 am

I believe it was confirmed about 1:30 PM CST. (Cronkite?) on the 22nd, which was a Friday.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:00 pm

I was in 2ed grade, a little too young to comprehend. Asked the teacher why the flag was covered in black bunting?
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:13 am

I was yet to be.
Maybe he didn't feel the greatest, had a bad back yet a great President.
This day still upsets me.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:37 am

I was in Mr. Yokum's math class, when the announcement came over the intercom system. I can still hear his "Oh-NO!" exclamation.
We were sent home, I rode my bicycle. On the way I saw the local Fuller Brush man walking from door to door. I stopped, and told him. He said "No wonder everyone is acting strangely?" And told me that everyone was going to the door and muttering about "Not now!" and slamming the doors. But nobody had told him why. We were just a few doors from my house, so he wound up in our living room for about half an hour watching the news with my mom and me. That was when the announcement came though that the president had died.

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:00 am

I also was in the fourth grade, my teacher broke down in tears. and we where all sent home. My father was not a fan of JFK but I remember him saying it was one of the darkest days in american history. I'm glad you reminded us as I don't remember the media taking time to.
Craig.

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936

Post by david_dewey » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:44 am

I too was in 4th grade when someone came to the classroom door and made the announcement (the school was built in 1926, no PA system); we went home early, and my mom was watching TV--which was never on during the day. I remember we were worried that the Russians might take advantage of the situation and attack. Having someone shoot our President was, until then, unheard of in "modern" times, so it was very upsetting. Different times.
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:47 am

I just came across this thread. I was in 9th grade, in band class when the announcement came over the PA. We were dismissed and I rode my bike home and spent the afternoon in front of our B&W TV. I couldn't believe it. My parents hadn't voted for him but he was our president! I remember lying awake that night listening to the sound of fighter jets from Selfridge AFB (about 60 miles away) criss-crossing the skies on alert, worried about what would come next.

About 10 years ago I visited Dallas and Dealey Plaza. It was a much smaller area than the image in my mind. I stood at the "sniper's perch" and looked thru the window at the X's painted on the pavement....almost 50 years after the event the same feeling of sadness came over me. I had to wonder how different the world would be if he had survived his term.

The loss of President Kennedy notwithstanding....his assassination is an example of how sometimes history can pivot on a single event. What if Hitler had died in WWI? What if Henry Ford had given up on making cars after his early failures? What if the covid virus had never made it's way to humans? Ive also learned that often the direction of our personal lives hinge on single events or people we meet along the way. it seems that life is what happens while we're making other plans......
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic