Please dont put this in the OT..Need help on a stuck Model A head and distributor

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Will
First Name: Will
Last Name: Copeland
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915, 1919, 1923 TT
Board Member Since: 2001

Please dont put this in the OT..Need help on a stuck Model A head and distributor

Post by Will » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:01 pm

Im helping a friend remove the head from his 29 A. I cant get the distributor out of the head. I'm soaking it with a mix of tranny fluid and acetone . Darn thing is stuck solid. Any ideas??
As Tom Sellick told Marston in the movie Quigley Down Under, I told you I dont have much use for handguns, I never said I didn't know how to use them!

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Please dont put this in the OT..Need help on a stuck Model A head and distributor

Post by Ruxstel24 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:13 pm

Heat and quench.
You can take a pair of snips and an old license plate or something and make a shield to help keep heat where you don't want it.

Tim Rogers
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe & 1923 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2013

Re: Please dont put this in the OT..Need help on a stuck Model A head and distributor

Post by Tim Rogers » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:14 pm

The club is going to have to hire someone to manage all of the OT threads or just let them be. There appears to be as many OTs as T related threads everyday!

I completely understand why you titled your thread this way and I hope you get some good replies...
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:53 pm

Tim, I hope "OT" doesn't get out of hand. At the moment I think it's reasonable, 74 topics there as opposed to near 1500 on the regular boards. I don't think asking about this Model A problem is off topic any more than posts about non-stock model T accessories and modifications would be. A solution here can be helpful in a T application, there should be ample tolerance for "grey area" posts. Obviously posts about Aunt Granny's parakeet are 'way off topic and belong over there. :D
"Get a horse !"

TMiller6
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 16, 24, 26 Touring - 26 Roadster and Fordor
MTFCA Number: 14069
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by TMiller6 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:00 pm

If you pry on the distributor body, it can brake off inside the head. Try lifting the head off the engine with the distributor still installed. Then use a pipe larger than the shaft to tap it out. This will also allow you better access for penetrating oil.
Tom Miller
One who cannot find beauty in an engine cannot find beauty in the universe.

Dennis Prince
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Prince
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1)24 touring 2)25 TT's 1)26 roadster 2)26 tourings 1) 26coupe 1)27 funster 1)28 A pick up
MTFCA Number: 22802
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Dennis Prince » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:23 pm

I had the dist housing break off on my A and ended up having to drill the housing almost all the way through and then break out the pieces, it came right out after I broke out the first piece, be careful not to let any pieces fall down inside. Good luck.

critterpainter
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dodd
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 T Touring
MTFCA Number: 27186
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by critterpainter » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:04 pm

When it happened to me, I removed the head with the dist still installed. Unfortunately the dist did not survive the attempt at removal so I bought a new repop dist assembly and used lots of never-seize during reassembly.
14 Touring

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:20 pm

Did you take the set screw out? Try tapping side to side with a rubber mallet. Be aware that some have a one piece aftermarket shaft, not a good thing, and could require lifting the head up rather high to get the shaft to clear.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
Will

Post by Will » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:49 pm

So far the things I have tried WD-40 and my own mix of 50-50 Transmission fluid and acetone. Iv tried to putting a wedge under each side and tapping them in until they are very tight hoping that maybe the upward tension will force it free. Before I retire for the night I will tap in the wedges just a whisker more and see what happens in the morning. The gentleman drove this car into his garage 7 years ago and now the engine is stuck. I'm hoping that once I get the cylinder head off I can pour in my releasing agent and get it freed up again. Welcome to Florida extreme humidity levels. Iv got a head puller coming from Synders. That should be a great help pulling the head.
As Tom Sellick told Marston in the movie Quigley Down Under, I told you I dont have much use for handguns, I never said I didn't know how to use them!

Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:14 pm

Don't forget they also offer a distributor puller for stuck/hard to remove distributor bodies. Available from most all of the Model A vendors. I have had to use them before, they do work. Patience, time and penetrating oil.

model a.jpg
model a.jpg (5.95 KiB) Viewed 7108 times
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

Topic author
Will

Post by Will » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:18 am

Pep, Thanks for the tip on the distributor puller, I will order one as soon as they open.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:30 am

Even with the cylinder head puller that attaches into the spark plug holes and allows you to “pull” the head with your engine hoist, you may just about have the front of the car off the ground and start working with wedges before the head moves...

Randall strickland
First Name: Randall
Last Name: Strickland

Post by Randall strickland » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:45 am

I ran into the same problem and made a puller.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtgvnT6ab0U&t=72s

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:35 am

I don't read all of the OT threads, but I look at the titles to see if there might be something of interest there.

Is there anybody here that flat out refuses to at least look at the titles of the OT threads?

I guess I don't understand why the OP doesn't want his thread moved over to OT, can you explain?

Thanks! :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:33 am

It is “sort of” OT (borderline). The people in charge of this board do a good job and the decision is up to them. I’m guessing they might let this run a while til there are a good quantity of seemingly good answers, and then move it over to the OT forum.

fliverfan
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Chuplis

Post by fliverfan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:17 am

No, Please don't move it to OT - move it to https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

HaroldRJr
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by HaroldRJr » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:01 am

Will - I had the same problem with pulling the head off of my Model A as you are having. I used a "head puller" made out of a piece of steel plate, exactly like the one shown in the video that Randall posted. It finally worked, but after a couple weeks of "struggling", it still took nearly another couple weeks! Here's what I finally had to do:

I cut little pieces of half inch I.D. plastic pipe each about a half inch in length. Then, after cleaning the cylinder head very thoroughly around each head bolt (oops,..."studs" on a Model A) anyway, after cleaning the head with solvent around each stud/nut, I placed each of the little pieces of plastic pipe over each head stud/nut and bonded them to the head with silicone. After that set-up thoroughly overnight, I filled each little section of pipe with penetrating oil (Kroil) and let them all "soak" for about 3 weeks! Would like to have been able to use the 50/50 mixture of acetone/trans fluid, but that doesn't work "long term" because the acetone evaporates very quickly. Anyway, I filled each little plastic pipe "nipple" to the top with Kroil and checked every few days and actually observed the level of the Kroil gradually seep down into where it needed to be. The problem of course is that (as one of the guys in our club stated),...."years of rust & corrosion have caused the studs and the head to become as one"!!!) Even after all this, besides the force applied by the steel plate head puller bolts, I also had to apply even more force by driving very thin hardwood wedges in between head and engine block surface. (....if you use wedges like I did, be careful in the area of valves so you don't bend any of them!) Anyway, it was a very tedious and long, drawn out process which just about exceeded my limit of "patience", but it finally worked! Hope yours comes loose easier than mine did,....good luck Will,....harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic