American Patriotism

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
JTT3
First Name: John
Last Name: Tannehill
MTFCA Number: 49460

American Patriotism

Post by JTT3 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:52 pm

Hopefully this will not be taken as a negative thread. If so I’ll ask that it’d be deleted. I was viewing thread pictures of the 4th festivities with model T’s in the parades and was reminded that in my late youth going to the parades and being a part of the celebration as a Boy Scout, I was proud to be an American, I was proud to be in the Scouts, later in life to serve in the PLC program with the USMC & later to become an aviator. Recently I saw a poll that results show that less than half of the polled were proud to be an American. Frankly I was shocked. How could the love for ones country be so low. I’m not so naïve to believe that everything our country has done is right but that’s on the leaders of the time not the country. In almost everything there are mistakes but that should not take away from the Ideals of the founding. After all aren’t we always trying to form a more perfect union. I wonder if somehow this may have begun when the draft ended. The lack of some mandatory formal service to the country whether the military, Peace Corp, or some other service. I’m sure I’m not alone but my direct family served in every war since the colonization by the English. Some made the ultimate sacrifice. I hope and pray that this animosity to our country changes. I can’t imagine a world without the United States being a leader & loved by its people as we strive to help ourselves & other people. I must admit this hurts my soul deeply.

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: American Patriotism

Post by DLodge » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:58 pm

I had a discussion something like this recently. I think it's kind of a case that "Dog bites Man" doesn't make the papers because it isn't news. I think that our evolution to 24-hour-a-day, 7-days-a-week news has created an impression that something is going horribly wrong all the time. That doesn't mean that good things aren't happening all the time as well, it just means that we never hear about them. Of course, our "woke" media etc. doesn't help.

Let the sourpusses pout in the corner. Happy Fourth of July!

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:15 pm

I've encountered several people over the years who have had occasion to live and work in various other countries around the world for a period of time. Every one of them has stated, unasked, quietly and with great conviction, that this country is the best place to live.

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:18 pm

I am a strong believer in America and a proud citizen that displays and SALUTES the American flag.

The problem with news polls and polls in general they can be set up to get what ever result the pollster desires by what and how the questions are asked and how they tabulate the results. Not a strong believer in polls.
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:06 pm

It's a different world and most of us haven't suffered what our parents and grandparents did in the world wars. The movies and the media show lots of images of war and we get used to seeing it without living it like too many in the service have had to. Those who have gone through battle or have loved ones that did know the pain and heartache that really earn the freedom that many of us take for granted.
It is sad and I'm not sure it will ever be the same.
Thanks to all for their service and I wish the best to all.
Rich
When did I do that?

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:20 pm

Back in the late 1950's a book was written, "The Naked Comunist" by Cleon Van Skousen. It outlined how the communists planned to take over America. They wanted to infiltrate the schools, the entertainment, the churches, and the news media. This is exactly what is happening at this time. This policy trains the next generation and influences them.
Another thing which has happened is that World War 2 is the last war our country has been on the winning side. All the others since then we have either ended in a stalemate or pulling out and losing.
Our moral principals have been compromised and so we are Not the country that previous generations remember.
We can change things, but it has to be done one person at a time and one family teaching their children, because the public systems will only indoctrinate them. It is not a good idea to leave one state to go to another one with different principals either, because it is just like pulling out of a war and letting the enemy take over. We must get out the vote and throw the rascals out. We must elect people of honor and principle to the offices all the way from county, and city officials and school districts etc. The state governments must also be carefully elected, and finally the federal government. After the last several years I think it is evident that our officials have an agenda, and it is not always the best for our country, but might be best for their pocketbooks. We must kick out the incumbants and elect new officials who can and will lead out country back to the old paths.
This morning we drove one of our Model T's in the parade at Coronado California. I can tell you that there are still hundreds of thousands of patriotic Americans. The parade is at least one mile long and has many multi story buildings along the route, all decorated and people on all floors watching the parade as well as 10-15 people deep lining the streets on both sides all the way. Military bands and other patriotic people in attendance.
Norm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic