Tire Curiosity

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
1925 Touring
First Name: Austin
Last Name: Farmer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring

Tire Curiosity

Post by 1925 Touring » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:49 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but I was wondering where do you get tires for the rare vehicles, with odd sized rims. Are they custom made somewhere, or does one or two companies manufacture them somewhere and sell them?
I do not have a vehicle myself, nor does anyone in the family that needs special tires or anything, I was just wondering... :)
I know that you can buy Model T tires from multiple sources, but what about all the odd sized tires for other models?

Screenshot 2022-12-09 11.49.16 AM.png
As you can see here in this photo, there are numerous different sizes and shapes.
The future of our hobby does not depend as much on youth, but on the future of internal combustion.
The past is only simple because hindsight is 20/20.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Re: Tire Curiosity

Post by Rich Eagle » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:44 pm

Nice photo Austin.
There are several companies that offer a variety of types and sizes for most antique car, truck and motorcycle rims. Coker, Universal, Lacas and others can be found on the net.
When did I do that?

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:53 pm

Once upon a time, it was not that uncommon to re-rim a set of wheels to accept more available tire sizes. Similar to the recent 30x3-1/2” white tire availability issues, obscure tire sizes are made in occasional batches and may be several years (or more) between batches

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:19 pm

My father has a 1910 IHC Model T roadster which he acquired in 1951.

It has 27 inch wheels and came with 34 x 3.5 clincher tires from the factory.

34 x 3.5 tires weren't available when he restored the car and I don't think they are available now.

Originally, he installed 36 x 4.5 straight-side Firestone Non-Skid tires and put ropes in the clincher rims to make up for the lack clincher beads on the tires (this is an old trick that some folks still use today). However, 36 inch tires didn't look right on the car.

To remedy the above, he bought metric 875 x 105 Dunlop tires (34.45 outer diameter and 26.18 inch inner diameter) and put them one at a time around a deflated truck tire and rim, inflated the truck tire to stretch the bead and let it sit overnight. That did the trick and he was able to mount them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic