Why I love Florida

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Why I love Florida

Post by ironhorse » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:49 pm

Before anyone says anything..I did spend 2yrs and 6 months in Fairbanks Ak. I know what cold is I was not awarded a T-Shirt But I think some of the Marines I took on Bivouac in 1973 might have been.
In late December we had 5 days in a row of hard freeze which is very unusual in N.E. Florida Now the Azalea's and Lemons are waking up from their nap
DSC_0254.JPG
DSC_0253.JPG
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

PDGx
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Grohsmeyer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘17 TT Holmes Wrecker
MTFCA Number: 27359
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Why I love Florida

Post by PDGx » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:13 pm

Yup. I agree.
Grass is green, and may even get to mow later in the week. Sunny and 85 today. 😎
Waaay to warm for the northerners to move down here. 🙄

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:30 pm

We had 90F yesterday. I have smashed the first radiator grasshoper of the season, and a large toad was sitting on my back porch last night. Windshield bugs are showing up. It's expected to cool down later in the week, with no freezing weather predicted, and be back in the 70 & 80s next week. The wind has been a nuisance, off and on. Bring it on! To hell with winter, road salt, and bare trees.

Marv K
First Name: Marv
Last Name: Konrad
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 TT Steel Cab ("ToyBox Twoo"), '25 Coupe ("Cranky")
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Marv K » Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:50 pm

And a 'nice place to visit'.... But you can keep your humidity and salty air! We're enjoying 'Snowstorm Olive' right now which could be the worst storm of the year, maybe even the rest of the season.... Forecasters are calling for maybe 14" of white blanket. (Staying off the roads and avoiding those 'Invincible Idiots', too!) Having an insulated & heated shop, plus knowing that I can always dress myself to stay comfortable, which isn't always the case of staying cool in hot weather. Wooded areas here were displaying a floor of brown leaves earlier this week. Our "Frozen Tundra' isn't really that frozen! Being a 'Cheeshead' isn't all bad, either. BTW - How many 'snowmen' have you built recently, and knowingly used the appropriate pronoun?
Minion.jpg
Minion.jpg (24.48 KiB) Viewed 2942 times
"Let's Figgur it owt!" Just fix it (right), and make it work.....
Aah-OO-Gah! (and), "Happy T-ing!"

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:34 pm

Does one need a permit to create or install a snowperson? Are race/gender/preference quotas in effect? Can snowpeople be purchased on ebay and Amazon? Is there an app? Will I be required to purchase insurance? What about disposal? Does a snowperson constitute taxable personal property?

Marv K
First Name: Marv
Last Name: Konrad
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 TT Steel Cab ("ToyBox Twoo"), '25 Coupe ("Cranky")
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Marv K » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:51 pm

-Hey, Pat-
Depending on your Home Owners Association, you might find yourself confronted with all of those! Another reason to live out in the boonies. Your neighbors (or they're not) will let you know. Crusaders gotta stay 'woke'!!!!
"Let's Figgur it owt!" Just fix it (right), and make it work.....
Aah-OO-Gah! (and), "Happy T-ing!"

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:05 pm

Weather dude said it is currently -17ºf, and with the wind, far colder to
be out in. A weird late season cold blast for us. I am SO done with winter
and ready for spring, but I would not trade the flats of Florida for my mountains
.... EVER !
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Tim Rogers
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe & 1923 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by Tim Rogers » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:55 am

We lived in Florida for 3 years (Tampa area) in the early 90s but never got acclimated to the horrific weather and abundant crime, so we moved back up north.

If air conditioning did not exist no one would be living in Florida. :D
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:19 am

Below zero in western Kansas .....

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:16 am

When the Greenies eliminate access to abundant, inexpensive energy for the average person, the Gulf states will see a mass exodus ... perhaps to Canada, where firewood will be available. McMooseburgers will become the new staple food ... a tasty, 2 oz soy-filled mock moose burger patty on a minibun made from tree bark, sans any vegetables. (Soy based "ketchup" available at a modest upcharge) "Beyond Plant" mock spinach patty meatless ecoburgerz will be offered on a microbun made from recycled tax forms. Woodsmoke emissions will be heavily taxed, as will exhalation. Persons who ask what Mock Mooseburger consists of will receive mandantory corrective re-education.

BHarper
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Harper
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '20 TT Farm Truck, '24 TT Depot Hack, '24 Coupe, and a 1914 Metz Model 22 Torpedo Runabout
MTFCA Number: 5414
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by BHarper » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:04 pm

My, my, my, my, my. 🙄

It sounds as if those with warm outdoor temperatures "might" be gloating and, possibly(?), be flaunting those conditions at others living in colder areas.🏜🏖

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

It also sounds as if cold, harsh, winter conditions in other areas has caused Cabin Fever to infect some folks. 🌬❄🥶

Buck up now Lads.

I concede that cold winter weather can get me down at times, but this winter here in New England has been warmer than usual and with below normal snowfall although I did receive about five inches of snow last night. Things could be worse.🤗

The weather reports I have seen from other parts of the country indicate that severe weather, of different types, has caused hardship, severe damage, and even death.
I offer my condolences to any of you who have experienced weather related trauma. 🙏

I do take pleasure in seeing pictures from snow-free parts of the country. It is a tonic to look at Model Ts out and about on bare ground, or even just pictures of trees with leaves and green grass. Pictures of Model Ts in snow works for me because, you know, there is a Model T in the picture. 😉

I'm rather certain that the Forum was created to, in the broadest sense, maintain and improve the health of our Model Ts.

Perhaps we should also look at the Forum as a resource to maintain and improve our mental health.

So, go do something Model T related: read a manual, work on your car, drive your car, call a Model T friend and ask "How are you?"

Best Regards,
Bill

mbowen
First Name: Miles
Last Name: Bowen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Express Wagon, 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 51651
MTFCI Number: 25343

Post by mbowen » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:03 am

Our payback for escaping to New Zealand for two weeks, then a weekend at Myrtle Beach (MTFCI annual meeting) is an ice storm and four days without power (give me a foot of snow any day!)
Miles
1924 Touring “Bonnie”
1925 Express Wagon “Clyde”

Loftfield
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:47 am

OK, I am the evaluator. Grew up in the snow belt of northeast Ohio, plenty cold and snow October through April. Then I moved south for college and stayed, eventually made it to Barbados for eleven years, VERY south! While in coastal Virginia, and central and coastal North Carolina I discovered that one walks around all summer with wet underwear, not entirely pleasant heat and humidity. Now we live in the mountains of western North Carolina, the perfect Goldilocks medium. Southern placement gives us warm sun in winter while elevation precludes summer heat and humidity. Most of our snow is polite: beautiful in the morning, gone by noon. In summer 85F is a warm day, and there is no cloying humidity. Only the rarest winter day does not get above freezing, 49F is the coldest average daytime high in January and February. The only downside is that if one is going to take the T up, out of the valleys, auxiliary brakes are pretty comforting.

Topic author
ironhorse

Post by ironhorse » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:29 am

Loved your post Bill. I once went to Circle Hot Springs Alaska (just inside the Artic Circle) the walk from the hotel to the hot springs in February wasn't too bad...But the 100 yard dash back to the hotel was mind numbing.
In a few days I will be having Strawberry Ice Cream if the squirrels don't get to them first, if they do then I will have squirrel stew.
DSC_0255.JPG

BHarper
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Harper
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '20 TT Farm Truck, '24 TT Depot Hack, '24 Coupe, and a 1914 Metz Model 22 Torpedo Runabout
MTFCA Number: 5414
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by BHarper » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:20 am

Hi G.R.

Thank you for liking my post.🙏

Thank you, some what more, for sharing your photograph of your strawberry plant.
As I sit here with my feet propped up by the woodstove I enlarged the image to scrutinize, and dare I say savor,
the bright green leaves, the white and not quite ripe strawberries, the dirt, and the blades of green grass.
I found myself thinking back to outings with my children and grandchildren in the strawberry fields, picking berries untill our baskets were overflowing and, of course, being a bit naughty and surreptitiously allowing a "few" berries to find their way into our delighted mouths.

A strawberry picked right off of the stem and immediately popped into your mouth; well - life doesn't get much better than that.

Thank you, again, G.R. for this brief escape from winter's harsh reality. I must now go out to move some more snow and get my hands on more fuel for the fire.

Best Regards,
Bill

719669 (1).jpg
An ice harvesting event, from a few years ago, here in New Hampshire.

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Why I love Florida

Post by FreighTer Jim » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:27 pm

Hi Bill 👋

You need to post more often

FJ
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:13 pm

I enjoy living in California, however, this winter has been unusual. We have had some 70 degree days with the flowers blooming to now a winter storm with snow to low altitudes. so far here only cold rain since sometime during the night to noon and still raining. The higher mountains have much snow and blizzard conditions. Those who like to play in the snow have been going up to the mountains if they find a road open. Usually by this time of year our winter is over and it begins to warm up, but this year getting colder. Maybe the climate control extremists have gotten too extreme and we need to produce more carbon? :roll:
Norm

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:58 pm

No one has spoken up for Michigan so I will. Yes, winters can seem overly long although the last few winters have been a mild. I had to plow my driveway four times this year which is more than usual.

When spring arrives with songbirds, green fields, wildflowers and leafy trees, it is truly glorious. Driving down some of the side roads in my open T I inhale the smell of lilacs and other flowering bushes.

Summers are warmer, but very few days over 90°. The Great Lakes region offers many opportunities for recreation with northern Michigan being particularly popular.

Our fall colors rival anything you'll find in the northeast. The air is often so clear that it seems you can see forever.

What we don't have is hurricanes, floods, droughts, earthquakes, mudslides, wildfires, insect plagues, etc. In the 50+ years I've lived in my part of Michigan we've had two F1 tornados, causing some damage but no injuries. Did I mention we're surrounded by 20% of the world's fresh water?

I've enjoyed visiting other parts of the country....indeed, I think I've visited every state. I enjoyed my visits but never found a place I liked more than my home state.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:03 pm

The trouble with Michigan is, if you need an alligator, you have to go a long way to get one.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:24 pm

TXGOAT2 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:03 pm
The trouble with Michigan is, if you need an alligator, you have to go a long way to get one.
I live about 20 minutes away from alligators. A short trip to the Detroit Zoo!

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:30 pm

Florida is a heck of a long way from Idaho Falls. I did visit Apopka with a friend to pick up a 1919 Republic truck. It was quite a journey stopping at attractions along the way. Disney World, Gator World, Rippley's museums and the Indy track two week before the 500. There is even a Liquor World. A Swap Meet in Jackson had the same folks we knew only with a different accent. A fellow rolled his truck and boat in front of us, and we stayed with him until the ambulance got there. In 1975 it was a lot of miles but an escapade in our 20s we won't forget.
The two old geezers that helped us load the Republic were right out of a movie. They worked in the orange grove and told us not to tell the Lady owner we had shared our warm beer with them. It was a scorching hot day.
Rich
When did I do that?

Loftfield
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:42 am

One of the biggest problems with Florida is that you walk around 2/3 of the year with wet underwear, the main reason why so many Yankees who move to Florida to retire often become half-backs, meaning they move half way back to Yankee-land, North Carolina, the region of perfect, Mama Bear weather.

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659

Post by DLodge » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:33 am

I went to a conference in Florida one summer. A native Floridian explained to me, "In Florida, we don't measure humidity in percentage, we measure it in gallons per acre."

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:06 am

I love FL so much, I left, so as to make room for one more New Yorker.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Rich P. Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Rich P. Bingham » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:28 am

Loftfield wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:42 am
. . . perfect, Mama Bear weather.
:lol: As I recall the story, it was Baby Bear's stuff that was "just right". Any road, perfect weather sounds great ! (snowing again this morning) :lol:
Get a horse !

Bryant
First Name: bryant
Last Name: shafer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 tudor
MTFCA Number: 51736

Post by Bryant » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:42 am

I ve been to Florida twice for vacations
I am a homebody farmer type person and I only went because of family. Both times I ended up in urgent care! First year we had been body surfing and there was some storms coming in with some impressive wave action. I ended up riding one to the tip top! Throwing me out upside down landing on my head. Separated clavicle :o. Spent the rest of my time there in a sling. Second trip I ended up getting water in my ear. That turned into an ear infection! Whole vacation ruined. Flying in an airplane home with an ear infection is no fun!
Florida sounds nice but Iam a little gun shy at the thought of returning :lol:
Bryant
“Whether you think you can, or think you can’t-you’re right.”

PDGx
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Grohsmeyer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘17 TT Holmes Wrecker
MTFCA Number: 27359
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by PDGx » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:49 pm

Sure gonna miss all you northerners down here ……… 😎

We spent 60+ years up there in the cold, snow, dreary winters, stagnant summers. And we’re not going back.

Although, we have found a couple things ‘wrong’ with Florida.

- last year we only had 8 days without sunshine ( average 5-10/year; only 1 so far this year) This severely impacts getting stuff done inside. Magazines don’t get read, and parts catalogs get about foot high before they’re just thrown away - because the next one shows up.
- There is absolutely no reference to time that you did something in the past. There’s no - I did that last Spring, or fall, or in the middle of Winter, or 2 summers ago. You just do it, and keep doing it…. Hopefully you took a picture that dated when you did it.
- If we don’t get a ‘high wind event’ in the year, you don’t get any urban renewal. There are no weekly or monthly tornados or warnings with 15 minute notices. Or ice storms tearing stuff down.
- Everything keeps growing year around. Nothing dies off, or takes a break. You need to cut it or trim it, repeatedly. But then, you’re outside anyway…..
- You really have no idea what day it is. But then who cares ?
- We’re on a hill, so we never get to slosh around in the water, or MUD. 5 minutes after it stops raining, you’re back at it cutting the grass.
- Man I really miss the MUD and slop. (NOT) The only thing that sticks to your boots, or to your vehicles down here, comes from a horse or cow. No salt, no road slop.
- Having a coast 75 miles to either side of us you never get to re-live that stagnant humidity or air quality of the north. Always a breeze from one of the coasts.
- And do we ever miss the corn and beans, corn and beans, corn and beans, corn an……… All we have here is scenery.
- Can’t get good alfalfa horse hay down here, so once a year I have to take a 3 day round trip up north to get a load. A real PITA !
- We can never get the people up north to close their southern windows in the ‘winter’. Don’t they realize that 40° is bitter cold ?

Oh well, another day of Sunny and 82° 😎

(To each his own of course. Have a good day !)

Topic author
ironhorse

Post by ironhorse » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:12 pm

Paul during those 8 days of no sunshine you mean you didn't even get the liquid variety?

Rich P. Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Rich P. Bingham » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:07 pm

I've only been to Florida once, on the peninsula. Swan in the ocean, went fishing, great time ! What I loved most were beautiful skies. Breathtaking !!
Get a horse !

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic