If you don't like car shows...

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

If you don't like car shows...

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:50 pm

If you don't like car shows, this thread is for you!

Feel free to post all the reasons you don't like car shows on this thread, then others can enjoy a thread about car shows without scrolling through the posts of those who are opposed.

Thanks!
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Re: If you don't like car shows...

Post by Rich Bingham » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:15 pm

The public likes car shows. There's no dearth of people proud of their cars who like to show them. Fun for both !
In short, car shows are the sort of thing that people who like that sort of thing will like. I've had a lot of fun at car shows, and made friends and good contacts while participating. Time passes, and the ages and types of cars shown changes with the times and people's interests. I no longer find them worthwhile, so I spend my time elsewhere. There's no need to be negative or throw rocks. If anything, it seems there are more car shows now than ever before, so someone's having fun. More power to 'em ! :D
"Get a horse !"

JP_noonan
First Name: John
Last Name: Noonan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Runabout

Post by JP_noonan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:19 am

Well today was our towns annual Founders Day in Norton, 308 years and still a great place to live. ;) what we do here is have a little bit of everything. Local cars from the Town that people want to display, food, drink, petting farms for the kids. and at the end a great fireworks display. But what is best is the interaction you get between all the great people here, especially the kids that love being behind the wheel of a Model T. :) Thanks Dean for helping to organize this event, we had a great time. :D
IMG_0389.JPG
IMG_0396.JPG
IMG_0398.JPG
IMG_0399.JPG
IMG_0403.JPG
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:54 pm

The car show I've been working at behind the microphone and music system for 19 years will be having our 20th annual show next Saturday. Holy cats. I was only 35 when we started in '99. Been playing 70's radio rock for 17 years. The founder didn't like the 50's and 60's music and I was very happy to comply. This IS an old quote "Hey Duey, ya gotta start playing 70's rock." "OK Mike!" :) Now the founder and I are the 50's and 60's PEOPLE.
My back and my knees really dislike car shows and auctions. I do go out and look at a couple of 60's Pontiacs but the shows aren't really my cup of tea. During our toothing years I did bring my Crappy 24 Runabout and have a couple trophies to show for it. :lol: I wonder where we've stashed them.
EVERYONE enjoys the burnouts afterward including the local police officer. He does have a front row "seat" tho.
The guys have a 3 or 4 block open stretch, can really "show their stuff" and there's usually 100 - 200 people watching it behind the fence getting tire smoke up their noses. :lol:
JP, your town's Founder's Day sounds like a really neat time!
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Loftfield
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:58 am

The biggest problem with car shows is that they remind us of our own mortality. I do brass cars so I always stand out, have lots of lookers, and I always let the youngsters squeeze the rubber horn bulb, gets them interested. However, across time the hobby has changed. "Antique" cars are now the cars with which we grew up, the cars in which we learned to drive, the cars in which virginity was lost by the droves. These cars are owned by people who, in old age, can finally afford the cars they only wished they could afford when they were teens. When I was a teen I wanted a brass car, only had funds for a 1924 Fordor. Now I can finally afford brass. Somehow, too, the hot rods and souped-up cars have gained acceptance, those that we used to decry for ruining a perfectly good antique. When I go to a car show and see cars presented as antiques that were the cars with which I grew up I know that mortality is very, very, real.

Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hal » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:17 pm

Just LOOK at all the folks who like car shows clogging up this thread...... :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic