OT Model Engine

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)
Board Member Since: 1999

OT Model Engine

Post by babychadwick » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:19 am

So I came across a model engine at a shop this afternoon and bought it more for cool factor than anything, It appears to have been castings that were close to completion but not finished. It stands 7-8 inches high and employs points carb, heavy flywheel etc. It would be so sweet in a little model launch cruising on a lake. The carb is massive with a float approx. an inch across, 2 cycle. The exhaust has not been drilled or made yet. What do I need to complete the ignition system? It seems a basic battery to provide power but do I need a condenser and coil as I assume I do. If so any suggestions?
Attachments
20190627_142824.jpg
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Re: OT Model Engine

Post by Rich Eagle » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:52 am

Isn't that as cute as a bud's ear? And a miniature plug to boot.
What fun?
When did I do that?

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:37 pm

Chad, perhaps try this web page over on smokstak. If you don't mind quite modern on that older engine.
It took me a moment to find but I read it yesterday.
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112568
It deals with S&S, Black Box and a post on top that doesn't work correctly (404) shows the FTL brand.
Hall effect switching with a small magnet to fire an engine.
Maybe?
:)
EDIT: Oops. Very cool find! Very cool.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Grizwaldo
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Grisbee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0

Post by Grizwaldo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:57 pm

Chad,
My nephew was doing some yard cleaning around my storage bldg. and found this old lawnmower? magneto. It's a little rusty but still may be savable. Has points on the inside so it would need to be mounted so a shaft with a lobe could trip it. Might be something to play with on the way to something better. It will fit into a small flatrate box,if you think it might work for you send me just enough for postage and it's yours. I think the small ftatrates are seven or eight bucks now. Might be worthwhile to find someone with one of those early single cylinder Maytag motors and study it a bit. Good luck in any event. Steve
Attachments
IMG_5852.JPG
IMG_5851.JPG

Topic author
babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by babychadwick » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:18 am

When I get some more money Ill just buy the batt, coil, and condensor. thank you though
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic