OT-thinking about a Model A to go with our T

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
thom
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Coffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Touring

OT-thinking about a Model A to go with our T

Post by thom » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:43 pm

We're thinking about buying this '28 A Sport Coupe.
20190921_163730.jpg
It has a little more pinstriping than I would have put on but I can probably live with it. It runs, drives, and stops great.
20190921_164347.jpg

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Re: OT-thinking about a Model A to go with our T

Post by DHort » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:47 pm

Rumble seat. Nice looking car. Go for it.

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:57 pm

We have both and the self commencer is nice!! Bud. :D

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:19 pm

This will be seen as heresy on this board, as most car guys are brand loyal and if they like
Model T's, they probably like ALL Fords. I am not that guy. My Ford interest ends when the
Improved T's came out. It's an aesthetic thing. I like earlier cars and I like what Henry stood
for in building an unabashedly cheap, no frills vehicle that took on no airs of "glitter", like the
later cars got.

My old man was an A guy. He did not like T's because they were a PITA to hotrod (his words).
I never cared how fast they went. I liked the "old" aspects of the T's, like wood wheels, the
more function-before-form look, and the ancient-tech mechanicals that make them go, drive,
and sound different than cars that came after. Color me weird, but I would not own a post-25
Ford. I'd rather jump ship and get a more upscale 20's car, if I want something more "modern",
because it is the look that draws me, and I just like the looks of non-rounded bodies and fenders
and more modest lack of nickel and chrome.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Don’t wait 62 years

Post by FreighTer Jim » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:41 pm

Mr. Kenny waited 62 years for his 1930 Model A Deluxe that I dropped off yesterday.

FJ

A04B6CA6-6465-47F2-AFB0-C55814CF9604.jpeg
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

Rob Patterson
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Patterson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Canadian built Aust'n Bodied (Steenbohms) Touring & '15 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2003

Post by Rob Patterson » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:59 pm

And it looks well worth the wait....
Rob
"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." HENRY FORD

Fire_chief
First Name: Charlie
Last Name: Gagel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 12 Tourings(2),14 Tourings(2),15 Touring,22Touring,22 TT,21 Fire Truck,14 Chief Car
MTFCA Number: 8377
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 22437

Post by Fire_chief » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:16 am

That is one good looking car. The people in Model A clubs, are just as friendly and caring as those in the T clubs. I grew up with both an A and a T.
My sister gravitated to the A, and I was interested in the T. Both are good cars. I now have 8 T's, and she has just as many A's. So I would say "go for it", and enjoy both.

It's Bill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Hoffer
MTFCA Number: 32571
MTFCI Number: 24364
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by It's Bill » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:43 am

FWIW, I am having similar thoughts! Cheers, Bill

John iaccino
First Name: John
Last Name: Iaccino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Roadster, Open Runnabout
MTFCA Number: 17802

Post by John iaccino » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:36 am

I have 2 Model T's and a Model A Coupe. The Model A is faster, more comfortable, can see at night, brakes better, etc. But the T is more fun!

Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hal » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:00 am

I'm with John.

Our A came first. We did all the work on it and now have a pretty nicely restored car. Then came the T's. The A kinda became the red headed step child. T's are more interesting to me and are more fun to drive for the same reasons burger mentioned.

Of course this is just my opinion and not intended to dissuade anyone from getting an a.

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:43 am

I really like the story about the man waiting 62 years to get that model A!! Not because he waited so long,but because he wanted one and evidently was not born into the old car ownership or given one!! He wanted one!!! :D Bud.

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:22 am

I'll be adding a 28/29 rumble seat coupe (black paint, black wheels, black tires) to my stable as soon as I get a shop built. I've wanted an A and a T since I was a kid.

I'm much more likely with an A than I am with a T to modernize a few things to make it a more roadable car.

From my interactions with the clubs, it seems like they're heavy on rivet-counters. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.
1924 Touring

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:09 pm

Rivet counters are a good thing .... to the ends that they preserve the knowledge of
what is period or OEM. The rivet counter, often referred to as a "purist" is often inter-
-mingled with another kind of personality, ..... one known in my circles as the "D__chebag".
The key difference between the two is one is in the hobby to let everyone they can, know
how wrong they are doing it, gaining some feeling of superiority in the process, while the
other offers help and information, with no judgement attached.

The hobby lost a guy like the latter a few years back. He knew Exner-era Dodges like no
one else. How to decode a build tag ? He had that. How many stitches were in the over-
hump carpet section ? He had NOS carpet sets to tell you. There was NOTHING this guy did
not know about 56-61 Dodges. Yet people often clashed with him, because they thought he
was telling them how they were doing it all wrong, rather than just taking the information
given and being glad someone had it. He often did write ups on how he modified the brakes
with later, better performing parts, or other non-destructive safety improvements, clearly
showing that he was not the hardcore purist some took him as. But to no avail. Some just
could not tell the difference between a rivet counter/purist and an axxhole. Without purists
and guys who actually log knowledge like factory overspray patterns and windlace fabric weights,
history would be lost and our hobbies would be poorer for it. There would be no one to go to
with questions of detail and minutia.

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:00 pm

Burger in Spokane wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:09 pm
Rivet counters are a good thing ....
Not if they're pricks who will look at a car a guy has spent years redoing, then ignore all the good and excellent work and only comment on the two "rivets" that are out of place. That's what I've always associated the term rivet-counter with...the guy who only cares about whether an old car is perfectly correct and looks past all the positive. There's nothing good about that guy. He's a nuisance to the hobby and turns all kinds of potential new people off.

I'm probably "the guy" when it comes to 54 Fords and all the minutiae. I'm the president of the national club. I know all the "rivets"....especially the ones that most people miss. At our last convention, I walked up to a recent AACA Senior Award winner and immediately spotted two "rivets" that weren't right. I can't help it. I've spent so much time around restored and extremely low mileage original 54 Fords that my eye just knows what belongs and what doesn't. I started on 54 Fords when I was 16 and I'm 50 now. But, in this instance, I did what I always do...I kept it to myself. Later, the owner wanted my opinion on the car and specifically asked me for any "rivet" errors. I told him what they were, only after telling him how much I repected his work and his fine car.

The guy who has all the knowledge and is sincerely interested in using it to help those who WANT the help. That guy is fine and is an asset to the hobby. That is not a "rivet-counter". He's just an enthusiast who geeks out on originality minutiae.
1924 Touring

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:00 am

I think I covered the guy you are talking about in my second sentence. :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic