The next best thing?

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

The next best thing?

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:18 pm

AMAZON just announced Alexa wireless earbuds with health-tracking features
"The Presidents Analyst" 1967 just 2 1/2 minutes of viewing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PebCB0IIANI
Technology takes time to become reality - "1984" Big brother IS watching
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Re: The next best thing?

Post by Duey_C » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:43 pm

Yuck. Intrusion.
There'll never be any alexa like device around this place.
I was messing around on the way back machine a few months ago. Handy archive once in awhile.
Started looking around and found the company that owns the way back machine. Their name is.....wait for it
alexa
Handy: The phone company could listen in on your personal thoughts in the film...
...just think the number you'd like to call... Brolin was told.
1984 scares the crap out of me. Hiding beside his televisor so he can read and write what he wanted and not be seen...
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:39 am

1984 I think is my favorite book I ever read, and I read it several times. George Orwell tried to warn us. It looks to me like a lot of politicians used his work as a blueprint for how to take control of the world, and the rest of the world failed miserably in recognizing the realities and instead stopped being vigilant and heeding his warnings.

Sorry for the venting.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:40 am

What fascinates me about this subject is the public's obsession with "newest is best",
that ushers in the BS. I was recently looking in to furnace information for a client job
All the buzz in the industry is currently about wireless controls, touting how a person
can control their HVAC system from their phone, 10,000 miles away ! Mount all this
expensive gee-gaw on the wall and all it takes is a phone app ! Like nothing could go
wrong here ! But more to the point, why would this be exciting and appealing to any-
-one ? Because the B!tch Wives of Orange County mention it on their TV show ? Because
a magazine article said the Kardashians all have it ?

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, we've sold our souls for a sparkly trinket.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hal » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:59 pm

Yeah, I don't get that crap either. I recently stayed at my sister's house while they were out of town. They told me if I wanted to turn on the living room lights (or turn them down, as they are dimmable), that i should say "Hey Google" or some such crap and tell it to turn the lights on/off/some %. Yeah RIGHT! Like I'm gonna talk to that damned thing.

I have a co-worker who owns a vacation rental home. He controls the a/c on his phone. Tenants turn the a/c down to 65 or something and he turns it back up to 78, over and over and over throughout the day.

I'm doing good to make a phone call, send a text, and read this forum on my phone.

46woodduck
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Petry

Post by 46woodduck » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:16 am

Have a friend with an "Alexa" gismo and we were just sitting around talking and it replied to something we said. Creepy things, Ask it "what is the meaning of life".
Life is good on the lunatic fringe. Tom

Grady Puryear
First Name: Grady L
Last Name: Puryear

Post by Grady Puryear » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:10 am

Last weekend I made a long trip(for me) of about 300 miles. I drive little anymore except an occasional trip to Town. On my trip,my Wife, Daughter and Son drove me crazy calling on my cell phone to check on me, and I pull off the road to answer a call, so it was hectic. When I got to my Friends, they had been calling him also, so you get the drift. He had been telling them about a program they could install on their phones and track me anywhere, which they did. Only problem is, I have one of the oldest flip top phones, strictly for calling AAA or if I fall if need be. Only problem with his suggestion was that I needed to install something on my phone for it to work, and my phone is obsolete and you can't do that. I would not have done it anyway, I hate the thought of having someone looking over my shoulder,and supposedly anyone could use this to find me. I literally despise what has happened to our Country, and it is not going to get any better, I have seen the government installation in Salt Lake that covers acres and acres, full of nothing but the largest of computers to track our telephone and internet, just like this message. Waiting for the knock on the door.

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:23 pm

Orwell didn't get it right. In fact he was 180 degrees wrong. He never envisioned the population accepting the visiscreen as he called it. Everyone in the book hated it and was constantly trying to escape it. Now everyone has a phone/screen in their face and a listening device in the home.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

46woodduck
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Petry

Post by 46woodduck » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:47 am

Notice that all of the "listening devices" are referred to in female names. They tried to give them male names but none of them would listen.
Life is good on the lunatic fringe. Tom

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic