the model A and church.

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

the model A and church.

Post by Bud Delong » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:52 pm

Warm,sunny,and the fall color was perfect so we drove the model A 15 miles to church.When we went to start to leave i found the battery stone dead and the light switch on! I do not know if i bumbled it or if we had help? Needless to say after a short tow by a car we were on our way with no problems. :oops: After almost 20 years this was the first time the A had ever let us down. :oops: I need to be more careful! Bud.

HalSched
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Schedler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 23 RA, 25 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 16688
MTFCI Number: 19356
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: the model A and church.

Post by HalSched » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:07 pm

I always carried a crank in my Model A. Are they still around?

Tmodelt
First Name: Kim
Last Name: Wynn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Roadster & 1927 Speedster

Post by Tmodelt » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:13 pm

My grandpa carried the hand crank for his Model A Coupe on the " package shelf" at the top of the seat back. Kept it handy for starting or as a weapon. HA!

Topic author
Bud Delong

Post by Bud Delong » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:20 pm

Yup,Under the front seat but the battery was stone dead.The man who towed us first offered a 12 volt to 6 volt jump but i did not like the idea of that.Bud. :D

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by 2nighthawks » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:53 pm

When in high school, I had a '28 Model A Standard Coupe. One Saturday or Sunday, I was over at my girlfriends house (who eventually became my good wife of now, 55 years) and apparently, somehow, had accidentally left the headlights on all afternoon, and when going to start the car to go home, found that the battery was completely dead. Because of my Dad, who was a railroad switchman in Chicago, I always carried a switchman's lantern on the package tray by the back window. I took the 6 volt lantern battery out of the switchman's lantern and jury-rigged a hook up the the Model A ignition system, while my girlfriends dad stood there laughing at me, saying how silly of me to even think that the car would run that way. I then proceed to get the hand crank out of the trunk, hand cranked the engine to a normal start the normal way (a couple pulls choking and a "start" on about the third pull) and proceeded to drive away just like it was no big deal! I can still see my girlfriends dad standing there, wide-eyed and with mouth hanging open in surprise as I drove away!

Topic author
Bud Delong

Post by Bud Delong » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:08 pm

I like that idea Harold,and i think i will get one!! Thank you! Bud. :D

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:17 pm

Been there done that. A dead battery just never happens at a good time. If it happens at home, would be the only exception. The hand crank can definitely bail us out. I have had to push start the race car more than once. At times I wish I could have hand cranked it. In my case it is not an option. You all have had to do what you have had to. Good job!
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:36 am

Cranking my model A through a broken front casting and between frame horns and over the bumper always left me with scraped knuckles. I started it by pulling the fan blade all one winter when the generator quit working. Fewer mishaps. Low compression helped.
When did I do that?

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Rich,
You are fortunate to still have your fingers. I wouldn't try to start by spinning the fan.
Norm

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:50 am

It was a two bladed fan and it did sting if I wasn't quick. The engine didn't have too much compression but I had to keep the fan belt tight. I wouldn't do in now but it was better than jacking a wheel up to spin or breaking my knuckles using the crank. A better battery and rebuilding the generator eventually save my fingers. It was my only transportation at the time.
Ouch!
Rich
When did I do that?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic