My T hauler is finished.Almost.

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

My T hauler is finished.Almost.

Post by tdump » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:33 pm

Is any shop project ever really "done"? Nope.Still got to install more floor tie downs and a winch and mount for it.
BUT so you folks won't think I have curled up in a Lazy Boy and become a key board Curmudgen, here is what I have been working on for hauling the T pickup.
I built this from scratch. I had the basic frame put together,no ramp or anything about 5 years ago.But found a defect in the axle I used and had other projects and issues so it got put on the back burner. 3 years ago a freind remodeled his house and pulled all the decking down that was only about 6 years old and gave me alot of the wood. SO I had a floor.I found a good used axle this spring and it motivated me to get back on the project.I got the 91 pickup fixed up ,that took October,then I put this in the shop and decided it was not coming out until it was ready to use.
Some material like the 2 inch tube for the outside frame and the angle iron for the ramp and the expanded metal for the ramp were bought new. The angle iron railing and crossmembers and other stuff was used. Floor coating is some exspensive water proofing from Ace hardware that got reduced to 5 bucks a gallon. The springs for the ramp lift assist are from Lowes. It is actually a bit on the tight side,you about have to chase it shut once it gets past a certain point. The latch arms,are spring loaded to stay up to save me bending over to pick them up plus they act as guides when loading the T.
About 450 cash outlay,countless hours of work. A equal trailer with the lift springs,tool boxes,jack and such would be around 2400 bucks.
Now that it and the T are finished,I can get started with the titleing work.I can haul it now to get apprasials and such.
Attachments
DSC00134 (Medium).JPG
DSC00133 (Medium).JPG
DSC00131 (Medium).JPG
DSC00129 (Medium).JPG
DSC00128 (Medium).JPG
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Topic author
tdump
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.

Re: My T hauler is finished.Almost.

Post by tdump » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:38 pm

A couple more pics.This will give you some idea as to why I was asking last year about tieing down stuff on a trailer.
This and my tandem trailer will both need some more stuff on them to tie to.
Now that this trailer is finished you can see more about what might be a better idea for tieing it down.I was going to put the Xtrak stuff on it,but for the moment,the money is not loose for that.So I put some tie downs on it I had laying around.All US made and bolted to the frame and not just the wood. The trailer is 71 inches wide by 14 feet long.
Attachments
DSC00130 (Medium).JPG
DSC00135 (Medium).JPG

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:39 pm

Mack,

That is a very nice looking trailer and a great looking T! The pick-up you're pulling it with ain't shabby either! Now since you've finished yours you'll have time to build one for me! :mrgreen:
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:13 am

Wow! The T and the hauler both look great! You do nice work my friend!
Thank you for sharing the pictures here, although I do think they should be on the General (all model T!) Discussion.

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:39 am

Mack, as always, you do great work. That is a slick setup, both T and trailer. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:30 am

I think I am in the wrong bussiness. I need to hire some folks to build trailers.
I got the title numbers for it a week or so after i finished it,Finally took it this morning to Dmv for inspection and all went well.The inspector said it had more lighting than required and complimented on the appearance. I also ask about hauling the T on it and he said NO problem.
BUT I went to the tag office. No problems with getting a title or getting a tag. The glitch is in the property tax value.And OF course a call to the county was met with ,"I will send you a appeal form and you will need to send photos".
They will also get a couple ad's indicating I can get this size trailer for around 2200 bucks new.
Take a guess,a wild guess as to what you would think a county would value a utility trailer for.

guess again!

$12,780 dollars. Yep,over 12 grand! I have maby 450 in it materials wise. :shock:

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:56 am

Mack, I have one comment. It is not a criticism, as you have built a lovely trailer...it is a safety warning which I hope you take to heart: Your extension springs need a containment device for safety...(!!!!!). If ever the springs let loose, at best they will cause damage and at worst, serious injury could result. Consider something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Garage-Door-Part ... B00BWUIUZE

Stay safe, my friend.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:35 pm

I am in the planning stages of a pvc pipe collaspable tube for them.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:31 am

Twelve grand??? They must be nuts! (Or crooked!) In Califunny one can buy a similar single axle utility trailer brand NEW for just over a thousand dollars! When I bought my heavier duty two axle sixteen foot trailer about 20 years ago, it was only slightly over two grand NEW. I know they have gone up in price over the past twenty years, but I still see them advertised for about 3500.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:46 am

If you live here,the word crooked comes to mind but in reality,I think Crazy is more like the truth.A computer spits it out and the humans do nothing unless you fight it.
I could not belive they are making me go thru the entire appeals process.The state's hwy use tax was based on a 300 dollar value.
Why on the earth the computer would belch out 12,780 is beyond me.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:10 pm

I would bet that the clerk typed in "car hauler" and the system logged it in as an enclosed trailer. Too bad they didn't code "utility".
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:07 am

You know i just checked and it is marked utility!! I am like? Wow, :shock:
BUT , :D With it's temporary tag proudly displayed it made it's first haul yesterday morning taking the little T to the Dmv for it's first siteing by state officials. So far not sure what will be done as far what it will be registered as , but he said no problem to get it legal to operate on the hwy shortly. :mrgreen:

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:08 pm

Well I sent the county 4 pictures,and 2 printed ad's for equal trailers with their prices.
I put 1000 dollars as fair value,being a new 1 could be bought from 1200 to 2200 dollars depending on features.
They called today and said it would be lowered for tax value to a 1000 dollars.The guy said he was concerned the computer spit out such a number. Um, anyhow, just thought I would update.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:10 pm

Computers do not lie! Someone should write a song about that! :D

aDave
First Name: David
Last Name: Dufault
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915
MTFCA Number: 303
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by aDave » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:18 am

Mack,

Good for you for appealing that nasty mistake!

And kudos for a nice job.

Dave

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:46 pm

Well a update,
Here is my refurbished Tandem trailer.I bought this trailer back in about 2006 or 7. Paid to much for it.The floor rotted out of it about 2013 or 4 and last I used it the tractor front wheel fell thru the floor.It had hydrolic brakes on it,the master cylinder was full of rust and such,tires had dry rotted, it was useless.It sat till 2018 and I started slowly working on it as budget allowed.Removed old flooring and ALL old decking screws so i could reuse the holes. I had the "catwalk" laying around and so i put it in the tire tread areas and let it sit until october and put it in the shop and decided it would be DONE before it was out again.The crossmembers were 24 on center,I added more ,although a size smaller angle,so now they are 12 inch on center.It has new electric brakes on it.repacked the wheel bearings, new radials. New 5/4 treated decking floor,new 5000 pound winch with wired and wireless remote,60 feet of e trak, spare tire and mount,and I modified ramps with expanded metal so the little T wheels and garden tractor wheels won't sink down between the angle iron runners. I removed the old jack that some nut besides me had welded to the side of the tongue and I put a 5000 pound rated tongue jack on it. The winch is pluged into a 2 inch receiver hitch and the winch and mount are desiged to be removed so it can be used on a truck or tractor.It also got a fresh coat of paint.

I know not to pull a T from the front axle like I tested the winch in the photo but it was slightly down hill and there was no binding .it just rolled right up.
I plan to add back up lights so that a back up camera can be wired in as well.
Attachments
DSC00022.JPG
DSC00024.JPG
DSC00028.JPG
DSC00025.JPG
DSC00023.JPG

Ken Buhler
First Name: Ken
Last Name: Buhler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster 1927 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 49471
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Ken Buhler » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:05 am

That is a sure way to bend your axle. Create a Y strap and pull from the frame or outer ends of the axle.
Ken Buhler
Work honestly
Stay true to your word
Get the job done right

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic