Lost a friend

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Lost a friend

Post by Oldav8tor » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:16 am

I know this may seem unimportant amongst the reports of the passing of Model T friends, but I lost a friend today too. My black lab "Goose" (a pretty girl, named by my daughter) died in her sleep in the wee hours of Dec 17. She would have been 14 in May and she came to us as a rescue when she was a skinny 1 year old.

She was a friend and companion who enjoyed life and made ours better just by being there. One of my fondest images of her is her ears flying in the wind as we cruised the back roads in my old army jeep with the windhield folded down. I regret that she never got to ride in my Model T because her arthritis made it too hard for her get in and ride comfortably.

I'm sure some of you can appreciate what I'm feeling right now.... I just wasn't ready to say goodbye.
Loving the ride!
Loving the ride!
Run free old friend....
Run free old friend....
2.jpg (66.1 KiB) Viewed 8876 times
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Tmodelt
First Name: Kim
Last Name: Wynn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Roadster & 1927 Speedster

Re: Lost a friend

Post by Tmodelt » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:31 am

Tim, I feel your pain. We had a chocolate lab that was approximately 15 years old when she passed. She had hip dysplasia so bad that I would have to carry her outside. We were going to have to put her out of her hurting. I couldn't do it. I guess that I was selfish. She made the decision easy on me by passing in her sleep so that I wouldn't have to live with the decision. Still not easy.

If someone tried to tell you that you are silly, I know better. They are one of the family. We now have a yorkie. My oldest daughter bought us a hoodie for the dog that reads "favorite child".

My sincerest condolences.

Kim R. Wynn

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:05 am

I too know how painful this is.
You will never find a more loyal friend then a good dog.
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:41 am

Tim, we put 2 chocolate labs and a shepherd down in one year. All 10 to 14 years old. You enjoy them while thier hear. Dogs are true friends, no grudges, always happy to see you if your gone two minutes or two weeks. Same reaction either way. We have always had search dogs as pets so we had double the pleasure. Working with your best buddy. I to feel your pain Tim! Sorry for your loss but it sounds like you have some great memories to cherish.

Bills Auto Works
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Squires
MTFCA Number: 49996
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Bills Auto Works » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:45 pm

Tim,

They are such a big part of our families & give us unconditional love the whole time they are with us. I am very sorry for your loss.

God Bless
Bill
Your QUALITY Model T Transporter in Business Since 1983 & Still Going Strong

57,64,66 Pont
(2)66 Amb
67 Marlin
67 Toro
73 Nova
(2)92 XJS
07 XLR-V

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:46 pm

Tim,

Trust Me, It hurts big time! My bride and I never had children, just our other babies, the Dogs! We have lost 4 all together over the years and they all have a hand cut tombstone by me at the barn! Our yellow lab could tell the difference between a poisonous and non poisonous snake. Saved my life four times by getting in-between me and the danger.

Not a day goes by that we do not miss them.

Time shall heel the hurt, get another one soon!

All the Best,

Hank

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:20 pm

Right there with ya. Wasn't much of a dog lover until Babe (Dayzee) came along. Beautiful dark brown mix&match breed.
Her pal Sully, a stocky, block-headed yellow lab was a great boy to have here and I miss them both.
I still believe some friends (canine, feline or human) are harder to lose than relatives.
Goose reminds me of Babe. Hehe, Babe loved riding in the T until her back legs wouldn't pop her up into the seat.
She always got behind the wheel and I'd have to slide her over and wriggle down in the seat. :lol:
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:26 pm

Our last dog, a yeller, blockhead lab, was a "bad dog" in all the right ways. I took
her to the river every Saturday in good weather to kill her favorite stick. When the
river was full of ice, we'd go to the cliff and chase the ball. Good times for the dog !
I still laugh, thinking about how crazy she was for sticks and balls and water. Wonderful
friend. She made it to 14 and died on her birthday. Like all suckweasels, she was a
food hound, and this was a source of many laughs. She'd eat just about ANYTHING,
but pickles were a no-go. I used to slip a pickle in on her now and again, and to watch
her eat AROUND the pickle was beyond funny ! She worked those lips like a bomb tech
would diffuse a warhead. I could not even walk toward my truck without her jumping
in the back to let me know she was ready to go.

The good news is, there is no shortage of dogs that need good homes, and your "open
slot" is just waiting for you to give one that good home. I am sure your old dog would
approve.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:59 am

We too know the hurt of losing a "best fiend". We had a Miniature Rat Terrier that we lost a few months ago. She was a rescue dog about five years old when we got her, er, I mean when she got us. She had us for eight years and was my "Unofficial Service Dog", got us through a lot of rough times over the years, especially when our oldest Daughter passed away in 2017. All she ever wanted was to have food, water and love, and she got all of that in abundance, especially the love. She came down with Cushing's Disease, along with several other problems that go along with age. We have had several wonderful dogs over the years and losing them was always tough, but this time it was different, we had to make the decision to have her put to sleep. The others all died from natural causes or got hit by a car or something, always beyond our control. On the way to the Vet, I held her in my lap and she reached up and "kissed" me on the cheek, she used to do that all of the time, but this was the first time while riding in my lap in the car. She did the same thing the day I looked at her and picked her up at the Pound. She could always tell when something wasn't right with us, and I firmly believe she knew we were upset. We went into the room with the Vet and my Wife held her in her arms while the Vet gave her the shot and I petted her. We didn't want her to pass on by herself. She sat very calmly with her little front paws crossed. I held her in my lap on the way back and couldn't stop "loving on her" till we got home and buried her. We would love to get another one, but there is no way we can go through that again. Everytime the Mailman comes, we still expect to here her barking at him. She was a very special dog and friend.
Damn, this took a long time to write, I'm not ashamed to admit that I have been crying this whole time. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:20 am

I still get tears thinking about many of the furry friends we have had and lost over the years. I like dogs, but my life has always been too demanding to give a good dog the attention they need and deserve. So, although we have had several dogs over the years, we have had many more cats. Some of the cats we have had have been wonderful! Many people think cats are too aloof to love their people. But those people are wrong. Two that we had were very attached to Linda. When she would come home from work, they would greet her at the door. They knew instantly what kind of a day she had had. If she had a good day? They would want a pet, then wander off to do whatever they were about. If she had a bad day? There was NO escape. You WILL sit down and pet the kitty until you feel better!
Both of those cats were especially heart-wrenching when it came time to let them go.
But there have been so many others.
We actually lost one just a few days ago. She was not special in quite the way others had been. She was a feral cat. Came with the house when we moved here fourteen years ago. I suspect she had been abused by someone, and wanted nothing to do with any person. She had been fixed, so no kitten problems, and for the most part healthy most of the time.
But you know the old joke? "Dog missing, one eye, one ear gone, only three legs, answers to 'Lucky"!" Well, about three years after we moved here, a mountain lion got hold of her! I went out one weekend morning and found her ripped and shredded from her nose to her tail, numerous major cuts all over her body (one was so bad, I didn't think it could ever close up on its own). But she would not let me get within fifteen feet of her. No matter how badly she hurt, she would move away quickly. I wanted to take her to a vet, but she would have none of it. She was hanging around a water fountain we had in the yard. It was easy water. So I put a food dish next to the fountain, and walked away. I figured she would die in a day or two, but figured she may as well be fed and comfortable. But instead she got better. Ever since then, we called her "Lucky". We have been feeding her ever since.
I figured by her full grown appearance when we moved here that she must have been at least three years old then. And that was fourteen years ago. Seventeen years is a long time for an outdoor cat. We may not have been close. But she will also be missed.

Tim J, A lot of us know how you hurt. I can see in the pictures that that was one very happy dog!

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:45 am

That hurts Tim, know the feeling, I always have at least one dog, they are the best companions.
Current one is Sky, a rescue Staff mix something, spent her first year and a half alone in a basement, now she follows me like shadow and loves to ride with me wherever..

tried to attach a picture of her and me in my Jeep but pic seems too large, don't know how to resize :?
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Topic author
Oldav8tor

Post by Oldav8tor » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:35 am

You guys are the best.... I had to keep wiping my eyes as I read your posts and emails. It helps to know that there are people that understand the pain I am going thru. When you bring a dog into your life you know that down the road will be pain and heartbreak... the thing is, it's worth it. I have wonderful memories of Goose and of the many other dogs that have been in my life. I'm sure there will be another dog in my future as somehow they seem to find me.... I'll try to honor the memory of Goose and those who came before by doing my best to give a good life to those who follow.
4.jpg
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:51 am

Yep, best way to honour Goose is to rescue another dog that needs you, it will find you !
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:32 am

Thats what happens to us. Another pup with a personality all their own comes home to a life better than any dog could imagine. We have two shepherds now but I miss the labs.
20190323_223840.jpg

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:19 pm

I am truly sorry for your loss. I just fount a picture of my Gurty and me in front of my Christmas tree. I had got Gurty when her doggie mom was out trying to lose the litter of pups and she got left behind. I found her at about 2 in the AM. She was very much a one mans dog. I had to have her put down a few years back and she passed in my lap in the vets office. Reading this brings tears to my eyes thinking about her.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191

Post by Ruxstel24 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:49 pm

Condolences Tim, almost as hard as losing a child.
After having to put 2 of my 3 boxers (we had all 3 at the same time) down, the last left us on her own. I considered it a small blessing not having to take her to the vet.
My pit Petey is 13 but doing pretty good still, I know that time is getting shorter each day though. We can only love them and cherish them for the short time they’re with us.

Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:02 pm

IMG_1849.JPG
IMG_1849.JPG (56.03 KiB) Viewed 8649 times
I knew I would find it. This is Chief on the right and Cynder left our labs in their working days.

Bill Dizer
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dizer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 coupe, 1927 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 28610
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Bill Dizer » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:14 pm

Tim, Very sorry for your loss! It's been a rough year for you! Maybe you will have decent weather to get the car or plane out to give you a new direction! We currently have 4 full size Collies, two brothers that are almost 14, and two brothers that just turned 3. The 14 year olds we got after my wife had her SUV hit broadside by a school bus, and suffered a severe concussion and brain injury. She started having anxiety attacks, and getting the pups gave her something to do and think about during her recovery. It really helped! We got the younger ones as puppies to help keep the old boys active, and to help soften the blow when the time comes with the old boys. We never were able to have kids, so the dogs are like family to us! We have had Collies for years, and it is never easy to lose such an undemanding old friend! The pain does eventually fade, but you never forget! A new dog does help, so don't delay too long! When and if you are ready to find a new friend, I have found there are breed specific rescue groups in most states, that have dogs in need of new homes, many because owners have passed, and family can't keep them! There might be a match there! Search Labrador rescue, or whatever breed you are looking for! Good luck, and hang in there!

Duey_C
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup

Post by Duey_C » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:44 am

I could type volumes but my wet eyes have finally dried and I type. Oop, not fully.
Wayne, that interjection makes sense to me today. I pet that dumb cat of mine (or me hers!) for a good half hour tonight to help slide the day away. StinkyTownButt (Rox/Roxy) stayed back when the dogs were here and swooped in whenever possible.
Keddy, a young male, box-trained cat showed up in my shop, Sully alerted me, to find he'd been picked up by a hawk or eagle.
Ripped wide open behind the shoulder bottom to top, fed and watered that yellow striped cat at 20 below until he was healed up.
His daughter Kerry is the queen of the jungle outdoors here now. We've pet her once. Shes whiny like her papa.
Oof.

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:08 pm

Critters can throw that Jedi mind-warp on you, and the otherwise intelligent human's
brain turns to mush. The pet treat industry makes millions off this ! You look at your critter,
and they give you that look. You know the one.

My now-wife had a yellow lab when we met. That scum-dog laid the suckweasel voodoo
on me and pretty soon I was wasting all my Saturdays down at the river, tossing a stick. I
had better things to do. Important stuff. But the butter-colored devil dog from the dark side
melted my brain and I had no choice.

We should have named her "Hoover", because no vacuum cleaner kept the floors as clean
as she did.

el Doggo decided this stick needed killing while on an outing. In her mind, when it came to
sticks, the bigger, the better !
DSC00434.JPG
Last edited by Burger in Spokane on Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:48 pm

Another case of the suckweasel scum dogs amongst us ! BAD doggy ! :lol:

========================================================

The mystery of the missing police station donation toys has been solved.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/20/us/polic ... index.html

ramition
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Warner
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by ramition » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:28 pm

My daughter needed a new phone ASAP, you know how the kids are. She’d dropped hers down the toilet... Yuk. I got approved for a loan within a few minutes!! Very excited, waiting for the money to hit the bank and ordering a new phone. You can try here if you to are looking for a lender.

Topic author
Oldav8tor

Post by Oldav8tor » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:23 pm

It's been almost two months since I lost my buddy Goose. About two weeks ago we brought home Rosie, a young Black Lab rescue that had been brought to Michigan from a high-kill shelter in Georgia. A mid-Michigan group (New Hope Pet Rescue) has brought a total of 110 dogs and 30 cats to Michigan since January 1. My daughter knew the group and "arranged" things for us. She decided Dad needed a dog.

Rosie is a delight - full of energy and affection. She and our older dog run and play together and she loves frolicking in the snow like no dog we've ever had. I'm looking forward to the return of spring so I can try her out in the Model T. Rosie keeps me busy and I'm getting plenty of exercise just trying to keep up with her. I feel good about saving such a beautiful dog and know that she will be a good companion in the years to come.
This picture taken in the Georgia Shelter was all we needed  to see
This picture taken in the Georgia Shelter was all we needed to see
Rosie has adapted well to Michigan  weather
Rosie has adapted well to Michigan weather
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:56 pm

Congratulations on your new best friend Enjoy the time you have together.
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Duey_C

Post by Duey_C » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:59 pm

Haha! Look at that face! Good for you sir (well, your daughter...).
:)
I still resist as my cat will kick my backside.

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:43 pm

This is what I call "being scummed". They work that cutesy voodoo on you and turn
your brain to mush. The most organic form of brainwashing.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:59 am

Right on all counts! Burger, and especially saving such a sweetheart!

Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:53 pm

Good on you Tim! We know that joy 1st hand. Nothing better than a new pup to keep you busy. I bet she will love the T, she will match the paint and interior.

Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring and 1914 speedster
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Quickm007 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:34 pm

Happy for you Tim,

I can't imagine my life without my best friend Wasabi, my Goldendoodle. I have 3 child and he's the 4th ones. He follow me every where and he's always love be in garage with me...

wasabi Ford T.JPG
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic