....Beating a: “Dead Horse!”

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Cigarboxrob
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Frankel

....Beating a: “Dead Horse!”

Post by Cigarboxrob » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:27 pm

....On another note that will probably cause eyes to roll:

...When I bought my car, the seller on eBay stated: “Includes a new convertible top and top irons which haven’t been sorted out.”

...The day the car was picked up, the seller texted me: “This is horrible-I paid a kid to clean out my garage and he must’ve thrown them out-So I’m sending you a box of parts to barter with your fabricators.”

....He sent a box of crap. (Yes, he’s a member of the forum. After everything you’ve put me through on a car in no danger of starting that was: “Ready to go?” Yeah. Don’t call me from a blocked number again as you read these posts....)

....The car is a 1926; Is there *any* way an earlier set of top irons will fit? There’s *been* a 22-25 set on eBay he actually suggested I buy....But as it comes to mind, I believe the roof was roughly 3” higher in those years....I need help on this one. Also: There’s a set of “All Glass” side curtains for an earlier year-Once more, despite being manufactured for earlier T’s, might they fit a ‘26?

dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Re: ....Beating a: “Dead Horse!”

Post by dobro1956 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:12 pm

Since the 1926 27 models are refered to as "Improved Models" and almost every part of the Improved models are different than 1925 and before, almost nothing will interchange with an earlier model. There are some chassis parts that will work, but almost nothing body wise will interchange with a 1925 and earlier model.

This may not be what you want to hear but the 26-27 models are an animal all to themselves....

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:27 pm

Not my era/area of expertise, but I'll give the ball a shove. I "believe" a '23 to '25 touring top socket set "can" be made to work with some minor modification. I think I have seen a few pictures of cars with that "error". I also think that some adjustment to the "bows" is required to make them fit close to okay. I would recommend only considering this IF you can get an easy good deal on the wrong top parts, and you are indeed trying to cut your losses. The right ones can be had, and if you're going to pay "the price", you may as well get the right thing. IN the long run, you would likely cut your loses better by giving in and getting the right pieces. I say that, I know it is true. But I myself due to circumstances beyond my control have been forced to cut many corners myself. (Take that as a word of caution if you consider buying a car from me in the future, although I will try to be very honest about anything I know about.)

Since you say it is a "forum member" involved? I am sure that a lot of people here (including me?) are curious about WHO it is. However, I would recommend NOT revealing that in open forum.

Edit/addition
Donny Brown IS correct, however, I believe the top sockets are an exception to that rule. They do NOT fit properly without some modification, but I have heard of a few cars using them that way.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:54 pm

I have a 26 Roadster with earlier top irons. They work, but it does not look quite correct. I also have a Touring. I don't know whether you can get an earlier top to fit on a touring. However you can get a set of repro top irons for about $1,000. I know that's a lot to pay, but used ones can be a problem. There is quite a bit of tension on them and if you put them up and down often, they could break. i have had to have mine brazed once. The problem with old top bows is that they are made of rolled steel and the seam is not welded. So that means water gets inside. This can even happen through condensation when it's not raining! Eventually they rust out from the inside out. And you realize a 26 is 94 years old, so it has had a long time to rust.
If you can find a good used set for a reasonable price, fine, but better, if you are planning to keep the car for any time, get a reproduction set.
Norm

AdminJeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by AdminJeff » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:04 pm

Guys, take this offline. Now. This is no place to air grievances. Work your problems out between each other.

AdminJeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
1921 Model T Touring, 1930 Model A Roadster
Voltage Regulators, Starter & Generator Repair
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Topic author
Cigarboxrob

Post by Cigarboxrob » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:26 am

....Sorry, Jeff! Just seeing if a set built for a ‘22-5’ will fit on my 1926 touring after I got *skunked* on a bad eBay deal! I already got beat out of $1,100.00 just to *try* to get a title! And no-I’m not “outing” the member.

Topic author
Cigarboxrob

Post by Cigarboxrob » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:45 am

....Thanks, Norm!

....I don’t care if the irons aren’t “perfect,” rather that I can have a top on my car....We have a welding shop, so if the mounting points are close enough? I can feel confident spending $300.00 versus $1,000.00! I’ll post an ad in the: “Wanted to Buy” section, but if I don’t get a response? I’ll try to modify the irons on the auction site.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:31 am

If someone causes a new member of the T family a problem,why should their id be hidden? :?
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Bills Auto Works
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Squires
MTFCA Number: 49996
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Bills Auto Works » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:51 am

Many of the forums I am on have a section where you can leave feedback after having a dealing (good or bad) with another member.

One is called Cheers & Jeers, one is Buyer Seller Feedback & the one my ad is in is called the Hamb O Dex (obviously on the Hamb) these are great because it is the actual customer leaving the comments. Nobody is getting fooled by someone who has his own site & doesn't allow anyone but themselves to post on it. Of course those people will never post all the negative comments about themselves!

We need one here! It would be one more tool to help a prospective buyer/purchaser to make his decision. This would drive away a few of the "Bottom Feeders" as well.

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... ed.614419/
Your QUALITY Model T Transporter in Business Since 1983 & Still Going Strong

57,64,66 Pont
(2)66 Amb
67 Marlin
67 Toro
73 Nova
(2)92 XJS
07 XLR-V

AdminJeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by AdminJeff » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:43 am

You can already do that - find the original post and hit reply. Leave a comment.

Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
1921 Model T Touring, 1930 Model A Roadster
Voltage Regulators, Starter & Generator Repair
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Bills Auto Works
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Squires
MTFCA Number: 49996
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Bills Auto Works » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:23 pm

Not to be argumentative Jeff, but that is not the same!

I am talking about a separate feedback section where sellers, buyers & service providers can be held accountable for dealings not up to par.

What you are suggesting will only show for a very short time. as new ads are posted the old ones drop off. What I was proposing would always be there for all to see if you are going into a deal with another member, you could check it to see if there have been past problems with that person.

See this ongoing link for my customers to post feedback on my service.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... ed.614419/

I have NO control over what the customers post (The way it should be)

God Bless & Happy New Year!
Bill
Your QUALITY Model T Transporter in Business Since 1983 & Still Going Strong

57,64,66 Pont
(2)66 Amb
67 Marlin
67 Toro
73 Nova
(2)92 XJS
07 XLR-V

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic