Basket Case Speedster Build Thread

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ryanf1023
First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Fenrich

Basket Case Speedster Build Thread

Post by ryanf1023 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:17 am

Hello all,

I posted in the "What Did You Do To Your T In July?" thread about bringing home a basket case T. Don Allen suggested I should start a build thread, and as I've enjoyed seeing his thread along with some others, here it is!

Last night, I was examining the frame for its condition. I will share my thoughts and questions, and welcome all inputs. I'm still fairly green to T's.

The first thing I did was gauge how square it was. From the naked eye, all seems fine. I put it on blocks and stands, and ran a level across it like so:
2020 07 31 d.jpg
It was virtually perfectly level the whole way down. Although using a tape measure on my own was a little challenging (and lost some accuracy), the corner to corner measurements also seemed to be very even.

Is this a good way to check the frame?

Second, the front had several screws in it, rather than rivets. Atleast one screw is missing on the driver's side that is there on the passenger side.

Passenger side: square bolt
2020 07 31 g.jpg
Driver side: empty
2020 07 31 f.jpg
I'm also not sure of the extra holes, and what goes in them.

Third, I'm looking at the condition of the brake lever ratchet (is that what it's called?) In my mind, this looks fine to me.
2020 07 31 c.jpg
Finally, one of these four brackets is broken. What are these for? Running board brackets?
2020 07 31 b.jpg
My plan for this is to have the speedster as rusty and battered out looking as possible. I want to keep all the weathering and patina that nature has thrown at it over the last century.

Any comments are most welcome. I'm looking forward to this build, and can't wait to drive it!

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Basket Case Speedster Build Thread

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:50 am

This is a diagram of a 1926 frame has some slight differences from '22 - '25. Like wider rear cross member and extra bracket 'E'. Your broken bracket, is B, used to hold the 'body' to the frame via another bracket. But for a speedster you'll likely use it to hold the floor platform to the frame. Your missing the two cross members used for the running boards (top of picture) and to stiffen the frame and keep the frame rails parallel.
26 frame.jpg
Attachments
Part Locations.jpg

TeveS-Nor Cal
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Straw

Post by TeveS-Nor Cal » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:55 am

Bracket is for body mount- may or may not need it for your speedster. Beware of dips in the concrete- may look nice and level but can have dips in it.

ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by ivaldes1 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:48 pm

Hi, I am doing similar with my hay wagon to speedster project. The frames are riveted, the bolts are not original. I am told that rivets are preferred for frame flexibility. The teethed item for the brake lever is referred to as a quadrant. Others have said stretch a string to check if the frame is straight on the long axis. Good luck with the project, please keep us posted.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett

Post by Allan » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:10 pm

Ryan, when you build your next speedster, there is an easier way to check whether it is out of square than using a tape measure. You just need a length of light timber and a nail. Drive the nail in the side at one end. That end of the is stick put in one corner of the frame, and a pencil mark made at the other end on the opposite corner. Then just switch corners and check against your pencil mark.If the diagonals are the same, the frame is square. This is an old joiners trick used to check any frame before gluing and clamping.
Hope this helps,
Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic