Spitballing a new idea for "Safety Hubs"

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
henryford2
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: Andulics
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor, 1926 Truck, 1927 Roadster GOW, RAJO Sprint car
MTFCA Number: 9766

Spitballing a new idea for "Safety Hubs"

Post by henryford2 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:55 am

Just throwing this out, I have no need for any nor do I intend to make any. I have made and used the currently available style. They are generally expensive, you need to cut you axle tubes, etc, etc. All that work to keep you broken axle shaft unexpectedly existing the rear end. This idea will only work with the larger 26/27 brake drum (unless you make a smaller reinforcing ring). The idea is to weld/press on the Model A brake drum reinforcing ring on the Model T rear brake drum creating a "lip". Then use the early Ford Banjo rear end brake drum/axle retainer? Why not? Pretty sure it won't work on external band accessory style brakes. I can envision a number of ways of attaching the retainer to the Model T brake drum backing plate that would allow you to easily take the modified rear drum on and off. Have fun, stay safe, enjoy.
Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 9.04.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 9.04.13 AM.png (82.28 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 8.05.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 8.03.02 AM.png

Jeff Hood
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Hood
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring, 1923 Fordor, 1924 Martin Parry Canopy Express, 1925 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 25636

Re: Spitballing a new idea for "Safety Hubs"

Post by Jeff Hood » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:32 am

The difference I see is that on a banjo rear end, the axle holds everything together, but the hub and bearing ride on the axle housing. The clip will hold the hub/drum assembly from coming off of the housing. On a T the axle not only holds everything together, it also supports the car. If the axle were to break up in the tube, or in the bearing area leaving some sort of stub in the bearing, then a clip might keep everything together. A lot of the broken axles I have seen broke outside of the bearing near the hub. In these cases a clip would do nothing since there is no stub in the bearing supporting the car. The wheel would come off.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:22 pm

Joe

Actually your idea for a "safety hub" retainer is rather nice IMO, like most plans, nothing new under the sun.

Have always thought this accessory makes sense and would work to a pretty good degree. Once wanted to bend one up, but sure the metal should be heat-treated to make the part rather stiff to prevent bending. On a stock rear axle, with stock drum would be the best.

Aftermarket out side brakes do add a bit of design challenge, but would still be helpful in case of a busted axle. At least your rear wheel won't pass you, or the backend of your Ford left squatting on road :lol:

Rear wheel retainer .jpg

859990.jpg
859990.jpg (84.18 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
henryford2
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: Andulics
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor, 1926 Truck, 1927 Roadster GOW, RAJO Sprint car
MTFCA Number: 9766

Post by henryford2 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:10 pm

Great post Dan. I actually thought about 3 clips on each backplate with 120 degrees between them. I've always favored a quote attributed to Henry Ford " I invented nothing new. I simply assembled the discoveries of other men behind whom were centuries of work"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic