Ford NH float for Improved Car

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Ford NH float for Improved Car

Post by Mark Nunn » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:56 pm

I have a '26 Runabout. The Ford NH in my car appears to have a casting that was made in 1925. That is based on what I've seen in the Encyclopedia. That means it was in a car without a cowl-mounted gas tank. Having read that later Holley NH carbs have larger floats for improved cars, I would like to find a correct float, if I don't already have one. This is my NH.

Ford NH small.gif
I found the photo below on the old forum that, presumably, shows the Holley floats.
NH floats.gif
Can anyone tell me what the height of an improved car float should be? Are Holley and Ford NH floats interchangeable?

Another stupid question is about the mixture adjustment. My needle turns by itself due to vibration when I increase the rpm. Should I add clamping pressure (friction) to the fingers by pinching them? Is there another, proper, way to do it?

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: Ford NH float for Improved Car

Post by speedytinc » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:06 pm

Needle: Unscrew it , squeeze a little to get contact from both sides. Just enough to not want to vibrate loose.
Ill let a more assured carb expert answer your float question.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:31 pm

That carburetor should work just fine in your car. The date on the carburetor is quite close to the year of your car. In fact some of the 26 cars came out in the fall of 25. If you have the hole through the block and valve cover and a connection on the throttle rod on the steering column it will work fine.
Norm

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:53 pm

There is also a 3rd float variation that looks like the narrow one on the right, but has a taller hinge @ the same height as the left one. Where is that one used? vaporizer? Other than NH? Earliest version for the cowl gas tank?
Wouldnt these differing floats require different settings to keep the fuel level @ that one critical level correct for idle & hi speed settings? Would they be set level as opposed to dimensionally to the bowl edge? If a larger float goes into a cowl tank, isnt that going to mess with fuel level & change with less head pressure as the tank empties? :shock:

Corey Walker
First Name: Corey
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 runabout, 1921 homemade truck, 1921 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 51502
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Corey Walker » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:57 pm

The taller hinge float is for the Kingston L4.
Attachments
0B984FD1-40E9-42CA-BADA-0C935C4E91CB.png
Corey Walker, Brownsboro, Texas

George N Lake Ozark
First Name: George P
Last Name: Clipner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '26 Touring
MTFCI Number: 18665

Post by George N Lake Ozark » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:35 am

I’m trying to find one also.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic