Gravel or Highway

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
CatGuy
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Hunt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Runabout

Gravel or Highway

Post by CatGuy » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:52 pm

We are considering moving onto the country. There would be two ways to access the house. We could take 7 miles of gravel and a 55mph highway. The other way would be a divided highway at 65mph. I’m not sure I feel to comfortable with either option. How much highway driving do you all do? How safe is it? My car is a ‘26 Roadster.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Re: Gravel or Highway

Post by DHort » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:46 pm

I have been on the freeway in Michigan where the speed limit is 70. Obviously most cars were doing 80+ and it was not fun, but I had no other choice. I travel on county highways where it is 55mph and have no problem with that, but these are county roads. The traffic is not that bad. I have also driven on state highways that are 55mph and you know most people are going 65-70. Not fun. My T goes 30 and they go twice that. They are going to stare at you on the road and drift into your lane. It is just how people drive. Not worth the chance of them hitting your a$$.

I would look for a different house.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:51 pm

Take the way that allows people to pass you with ease. Also avoid the way where a semi would pass you
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:04 am

When I go east to Missouri I have two choices. US 166 is a modern (wide) two lane highway with a speed limit of 65 mph. My other choice is a series of county and township roads, some paved but mostly old style gravel and dirt. The factor which sends me down the back roads is traffic. If I'm on the modern highway I'm with all the big trucks going fast. None of them are on the roads I take.

IMG_1562 copy 2.JPG
When the numbered federal highway system was introduced in the twenties, this was US 166. Today that designation is on a modern highway a mile or two to the north. Nearly all traffic is over there, especially the big fast trucks. I love this.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:39 am

The T was made for gravel or dirt roads. If you don't try to speed on them, it will do just fine. Hopefully, it is graded from time to time so it is not full of potholes and ruts from rain running across the road.
Norm

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:58 am

My concerns would be volume of traffic and availability of paved highway shoulders. I’d choose the 65 MPH divided highway if it had continuous 5-6 foot shoulders over narrow gravel roads where passing thoughtless motorists could sling rocks onto you.
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people.

Loftfield
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:17 am

Been there, done that, nearly bought the farm not the tee shirt! Stay away from 65mph and higher roads, especially if there is truck traffic. Sometimes those modern drivers don't realise just how slowly you are progressing down the highway. The worst part of gravel roads is not washouts from rain but washboarding. Once did a tour on mostly gravel roads that were completely washboarded. Didn't seem to bother the local Amish in their buggies but many
T's had trouble with carburettor's jamming from gas tank crud broken loose by the jouncing. My car had the brass windshield frame broken in two places. I'd do that tour again, it was that good, but at a somewhat slower pace. And that is the secret of driving the Model T, slower, as it was intended to go. If you want to go fast in an old car then buy a classic Corvette.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:52 am

Avoid washboard roads. They are designed to destroy automobiles.

Stay off main roads so far as is possible. Avoid traffic so far as is possible.

Two-lane roads are usually to be preferred, but if you're in hilly country, lack of passing opportunities can be a problem. If paved shoulders exist, use them. Keep a constant lookout behind you and pull over onto the paved shoulder well before a vehicle approaches and has to slow down for you.

No matter where you drive, drive with your lights on, and watch everybody ALL THE TIME.
That's a good habit in any vehicle. You must keep track of what's behind you AT ALL TIMES and STAY OUT OF THEIR WAY.

Extra tail lights and reflectors are a good idea. Many cars today have part-time drivers, or no drivers at all. Many vehicles are piloted by telephone operators.

If you're car is capable of running 35 MPH or more, it's a good idea to run at the highest sensible speed you can maintain on the open road where traffic is present.

It's amazing how many people routinely exceed speed limits on the open road, and yet the damned fools do not know how to perform a safe passing maneuver. It's best to do what you can to assist and accommodate these individuals and get them past you and on their merry way. Remember that their time is more valuable than your life.

Adjust your scehdule, whenever possible, to avoid heavier traffic, "rush hour", etc. Schools and factories have their own "rush hours". Avoid them.

Weekends and holidays bring out the loons and telephone operators in full force. Beware.

In this area, rural mail carriers operate out of their own private vehicles. Their job requires very frequent stops along highways and byways. They used paved shoulders when available, and they have flashing strobe type lights on their vehicles. Many utility service vehicles also use them.

These are fairly small, stick-on or clip-on type light units that may have their own rechargeable power source. I've seen clear, red, and amber ones. They're highly visible in bright daylight for a long distance. Check local laws. If these are legal on a private vehicle in your area, I'd highly recommend adapting then to your T. Be sure to conform to regulations, such as red to the rear and clear or amber to the front. These lights will greatly improve your visibility under all conditions. Mail carriers, school buses, and utility service vehicles almost all have them, and some heavy oilfield trucks are using them.
Last edited by TXGOAT2 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis Prince
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Prince
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1)24 touring 2)25 TT's 1)26 roadster 2)26 tourings 1) 26coupe 1)27 funster 1)28 A pick up
MTFCA Number: 22802
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Dennis Prince » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:09 am

I try and stay off of the main highways as much as possible and depending on the road there are times that I won't pull onto the shoulder of the road because drivers won't let you back into traffic and I have almost been run into a bridge abutment, I have a reflective slow moving sign on the back that helps worn drivers in advance (seems to help a lot) but no matter what you have to drive for 5 (you and all 4 sides).[attachment=0).JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
whitney .JPG

Steve King
Last Name: King
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Touring, 25 Coupe, , 26 Touring, 22 Aluminum Fordor, 23 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Steve King » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:19 am

Linda and I enjoy the back roads with the T's on a Saturday morning. We have a four lane divided hwy a few blocks from us. It's 40 mph by us, where it turns to 65 mph we are done. I get off of it. You don't see or have time to enjoy any wildlife or scenery when you are white nuckling down a freeway always looking in the rear view mirror for the inattentive driver that might rear end you. We have a Model A Ford Club on that 65 mph stretch. I have a back way to get there that includes a little bit of gravel road. We only have to cross the highway then. If the road becomes gravel and later a washboard we just take it easy.
Screenshot_20230401-091421_Gallery.jpg

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:23 am

When using the paved shoulder, you'll have to stop for any obstructions. Watch for debris, dead pigs, mashed skunks, broken-down vehicles, beerbottles, etc. If legal, a slow moving vehicle sign and a flashing strobe would be a good idea. They're seen on farm equipment around here.

Rich P. Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Rich P. Bingham » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:01 am

Pat has offered a lot of great advice !

So far, the consensus is driving on fast roads and in traffic is suicidal in a T, and I concur. To answer the OP, I suppose the choice of routes he offered means more, if either one is the only option for driving his T. In our locale, I can pretty much go anywhere I want to be in the valley by navigating the county roads, though it may mean lengthier journeys. I have no desire nor need to go to town, where I feel far more vulnerable than even on a stretch of 65mph highway frequented by semis ! A collision at 25 mph in town can end your T and possibly your life as well.

Perhaps it's just my paranoia and hand-wringing that's accompanying growing older, but at least around here, the population (and the traffic) has trebled in recent years, and it seems drivers are more thoughtless and aggressively incompetent than ever. My rule of thumb is, I don't drive my Lizzie anywhere I wouldn't feel safe riding my horse. That definitely narrows my options !
Get a horse !

BobD
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Doris
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout, 1930 Sport Coupe
MTFCA Number: 32538
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by BobD » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:32 am

Well said Rich B. especially the part about "it seems drivers are more thoughtless and aggressively incompetent than ever." That is exactly my observation around here as well. Not to mention the fact that most of these thoughtless and aggressive drivers disregard the speed limits by up to 15 mph or more over.

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:43 am

After reading the several posts, I think the most important principle boils down to two words: avoid traffic. You can add adjectives (avoid fast traffic, avoid heavy traffic), but those two words sum it up. Ironically, driving through Chicago on Harlem Avenue didn't feel dangerous because the traffic was so heavy it was impossible for anybody to drive fast.

IMG_2002 copy.JPG
One of the things I appreciate about living here is having roads where I can drive for many miles without even seeing another vehicle.
Last edited by Steve Jelf on Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:44 am

Some might not like this, but I don't usually use the shoulder going uphill unless the shoulder continues for a long distance, hopefully to the top of the hill. Then as soon as I reach the top, I pull over and let all the slower traffic pass. The reason for this, is because if I can keep my speed up on the hill I can make it in high or Ruckstell, but if I pull over and have to stop, when I get back into traffic, I will not be able to shift until I reach the top, which makes me even slower than before. From here, there are usually frontage roads which were the old highway before the freeway was built. Only one area where I would need to go about 20 miles on 2 lane roads to avoid 10 miles on the freeway.
Norm

Topic author
CatGuy

Post by CatGuy » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:46 am

Lots of great advice and it lines up with what I was thinking. Thanks. Either I’ll have to find us a different house or not have a T.

Rich P. Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Rich P. Bingham » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:46 pm

I'd hate to think such a major decision would preclude your ability to enjoy a Model T, Scott. Perhaps an alternative would be trailering to areas where you could take pleasant drives ? Not as much fun as being able to drive any old time for sure, but not unlike how roads and traffic have shaped my trail riding on horseback.

Getting nosy (and of course not knowing the country at all) have you fully explored the possibility for alternate routes ? A cursory glance at maps of the Pella, Ia. vicinity seem to show quie a network of county roads.
Get a horse !

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:29 pm

If you can find a "better" location for the same dough, go for it. But the important criterion for a usable Model T road is not its speed limit. It's the volume of traffic. I often use roads with limits of 55 mph, or even 65 mph, because there are no reasonable other choices. Some 55 mph roads are off limits because of heavy traffic, especially big commercial traffic. Others are practically deserted. US highways (or former ones) that parallel interstates are often ideal for Model T travel.

IMG_3445 copy.JPG
Old Route 66 south of Lebanon, Missouri. 55 mph but little traffic. Not scary.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:48 pm

Where do you live now? If you're talking about moving to the country I'd have to think that the traffic on both the paved and gravel roads would be less. I live on a gravel road about a mile and a half off a rural paved road. I'm two miles from a state highway along the Lake Huron shoreline and feel comfortable driving on it except on weekends when we have all the tourist traffic.

If you aren't familiar with gravel roads there is mud, ruts, dust, etc. to deal with regardless of whether you have a Model T or a modern car. Our county does a great job with gravel roads but still there are days.

I hope you find a place you like but would be cautious about dumping the Model T before you've given it a try at your new home.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Topic author
CatGuy

Post by CatGuy » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:30 pm

Rich P. Bingham wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:46 pm
I'd hate to think such a major decision would preclude your ability to enjoy a Model T, Scott. Perhaps an alternative would be trailering to areas where you could take pleasant drives ? Not as much fun as being able to drive any old time for sure, but not unlike how roads and traffic have shaped my trail riding on horseback.

Getting nosy (and of course not knowing the country at all) have you fully explored the possibility for alternate routes ? A cursory glance at maps of the Pella, Ia. vicinity seem to show quie a network of county roads.
There are a few gravel roads to and around the house. I could take those to the 55mph highway.

Topic author
CatGuy

Post by CatGuy » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:32 pm

Oldav8tor wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:48 pm
Where do you live now? If you're talking about moving to the country I'd have to think that the traffic on both the paved and gravel roads would be less. I live on a gravel road about a mile and a half off a rural paved road. I'm two miles from a state highway along the Lake Huron shoreline and feel comfortable driving on it except on weekends when we have all the tourist traffic.

If you aren't familiar with gravel roads there is mud, ruts, dust, etc. to deal with regardless of whether you have a Model T or a modern car. Our county does a great job with gravel roads but still there are days.

I hope you find a place you like but would be cautious about dumping the Model T before you've given it a try at your new home.
We live in Pella, IA and the move would put us 10 miles outside of town.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:59 pm

I googled Pella, and I see a lot of county roads. They can't all be gravel. I am spoiled in WI where almost everything is paved.

I would not give up on your roadster. Make sure you have good spares and drive slow. When you are in your T you need to see the roses on the side of the road and not plan on getting anywhere fast. Just enjoy the ride. Put your phone on bicycle and see what route you should be taking. You might be surprised at all the scenery you will enjoy. If you are going to work, use modern iron.

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:52 pm

I live within 10 miles of a major city (over one million). I drive on the shoulder of the highway whenever possible. We have quite a few paved county roads. I try to avoid rush hour when driving the T (which I’ve been doing for 48 years)

Topic author
CatGuy

Post by CatGuy » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:08 am

We decided to pass on that house. I'm still a Model T owner!

Steve King
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Touring, 25 Coupe, , 26 Touring, 22 Aluminum Fordor, 23 Coupe

Post by Steve King » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:58 am

There are plenty of gravel roads in Wisconsin. Here is a photo of my Uncle and the 26 on a ride with me last summer. We had a flat on this gravel and dirt road east of Wisconsin Rapids which very close to the center of the state. In fact, according to the Wisconsin Transportation Bulletin No. 5, over 1/4 of Wisconsin's roads are unpaved. Many are found in the agricultural and local, rural areas. I can plan a tour in Wisconsin to purposely stay on paved roads but I have to work at it. If Linda and I just go wandering like we do, we will be in the unpaved.

Steve King

Post by Steve King » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:59 am

Screenshot_20230403-072944_Gallery.jpg
My Uncle and the 26

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic