eBay scam

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jem
First Name: Jem
Last Name: Bowkett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring #9267
Board Member Since: 1999

eBay scam

Post by Jem » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:42 pm

I keep getting this style of listing turning up on my searches
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184155782868?ul_noapp=true

Click on sellers other items and he has over 2000 on offer. Click on the photos and 2nd photo tells you not to bid but email him. Every item I've seen in this style has a different gmail address. eBay keep taking them down, but they pop-up again with a different user name. I am tempted to email (NOT using my genuine email) and see how he tries to sucker me into paying outside eBay and Paypal. It would be REALLY annoying if you saw your own car used.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: eBay scam

Post by jiminbartow » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:39 pm

Last year, I was interested In a very rare and elaborate German made Lenzkirch balcony clock from a seller in Russia that normally goes for over $20,000.00. I sent an email asking what was the lowest price he would take. He asked me to make an offer, which I did. $1,500.00 which, amazingly, the seller agreed to. It was a great deal, too good to be true, but I negotiated the price with the seller anyway, and the seller ended the auction. When the Paypal invoice came through, I immediately paid it (probably faster than the seller expected). To my surprise the seller reimbursed my money back to my Paypal account and sent me a form to fill out to mail back to them with a personal check in the amount I bid saying it was because of Russian import duties. When I balked they tried to use the fact that they reimbursed my money as proof they could be trusted. I had learned long ago to always pay through Paypal, because paypal has a “buyer’s protection plan” that can protect buyers from fraud, broken items, items that do not match the sellers description, items that do not work, plain old dissatisfied and most other problems buyers run into when purchasing on eBay. Scammers will always try to get buyers to conduct the transaction independent of Paypal to get around this protection. When I did not fill out the form from the Russian seller or send the check, I received several Russian mafia type threats. I reported the seller to eBay who did an investigation of my case by going through my eBay messages to and from the seller and the seller was immediately removed and banned from selling on eBay.

Conclusion: When buying on eBay, ALWAYS pay through Paypal. I know some folks here don’t like Paypal but I’m here to tell you it is more than worth it if you run into a problem. If you don’t use Paypal and something goes wrong, you are at the mercy of the seller who will rarely see things from your viewpoint. I have had to return dozens of items to sellers for various problems and Paypal has ALWAYS made sure I got a full refund, including shipping, even from sellers who say they do not accept returns or give refunds.

Even if you are able to reach an agreement with the seller to sell the item to you before the end of the auction, try to go through eBay by getting the seller to conclude his auction and relist it in a new eBay auction at the price you agreed on. That way, you will be protected by the Paypay buyers protection plan. Jim Patrick
Last edited by jiminbartow on Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:54 pm

Jem

Indeed a big time scammer. His eBay listings number in the multiples too!

Funny....they all have the same description:

Ok condition.
Papers present

And most of the motorcycles and cars and campers have prices similar, low 3,000's. :o
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:14 pm

Someone must have reported the seller as I am now unable to pull up the site. Jim Patrick

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:25 pm

Sure is gone here too. RE sell your car; Someone years past did that a number of times here. List a car that was for sale, but with out the owners permission.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic