Genrator block off Casting

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
baltrusch
First Name: Kurt
Last Name: Baltrusch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 speedster, 1918 Touring, 1922 Sedan

Genrator block off Casting

Post by baltrusch » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:38 am

There has been some discussion recently on the 1919 era cars that came without starters and generators, and that some of these cars came with a block off plate that eliminated the generator casting, This part made the engines look like the older blocks before they just started putting the 3 holed metal plate over the generator casting. I recently picked up some parts that included what look to be never used castings, T1769, which leads me to believe that these were available for purchase into the 20s. Any ideas on that?

Gene_French
First Name: Gene
Last Name: French
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster pkup.
MTFCA Number: 15614
Board Member Since: 2014

Re: Genrator block off Casting

Post by Gene_French » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:31 am

Kurt:
I imagine that the Ford garages would have occasion to install these when they replaced a engine block in later years … I have 2 of these , so I guess that it was not uncommon to have to replace an engine due to wear or freeze cracks … could happen real easy here today since it is only 10 deg F now and was at 0 deg. last night … always an optimist ...Gene French

Kenny Edmondson
First Name: Kenny
Last Name: Edmondson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring 1924 Fordor

Post by Kenny Edmondson » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:17 am

In case someone isn’t familiar with the block off casting being referenced, here’s a pic of one. P/N T1769
Attachments
image.jpg

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:50 pm

I have had some that were NOS. Got them from Ford dealer stock. I am sure they were sold till the end of T times. Dan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic