Repro touring body question.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Repro touring body question.

Post by RGould1910 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:57 am

I have a 1909 touring body made by Ray Wells. It has never been on a frame. The rear doors stick. I assume I can place pads under a couple of the body brackets where they connect to the frame brackets and that will widen the door openings. Is that the way this problem is handled?

R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Re: Repro touring body question.

Post by R.V.Anderson » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:07 pm

Shimming under the center body mount will widen the door opening at the top but narrow it at the bottom. Shimming under the rear mount will do the opposite.

Philip Lawrence
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Lawrence
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring
MTFCA Number: 5591
MTFCI Number: 25062
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Philip Lawrence » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:20 pm

Richard, may we assume that the frame of your chassis is dead straight? Is the body painted and upholstered?

Philip Lawrence
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Lawrence
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring
MTFCA Number: 5591
MTFCI Number: 25062
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Philip Lawrence » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:27 pm

Well, if the frame is staight and the body is painted and upholstered, instead of shimming under the body at the center body mounts on the frame and distorting the body to make the doors fit I would first try this.

Remove both hinges from the body and doors. Get a small router with a sharp bit and try cutting the hinge mortise on both the door frame on the car and the door itself a little deeper. With careful measuring beforehand you may only have to do it once. You will also need a sharp wood chisel and of course a hammer to fine tune the mortise after routing it. Don't go crazy with the router and cut too deep. It's better to make shallow cuts. You probably won't need to remove much to change the fit. If you do happen to cut the mortise too deep, your back to shimming things again.

With a good eye and a steady hand you should be able to do this without damage to the paint or upholstery. Just take your time. As a last resort you may have to hit the door frame (not the door if it's upholstered) with a belt sander, but you would surely have to do that if you shimmed the body anyway.

Now, if the body is just bare wood you've got it made, no risk of damaging paint or upholstery and having to touch up paint afterwards. So Richard you now have choices, choose wisely and let us all know the outcome. Good luck!

Art Ebeling
First Name: Art
Last Name: Ebeling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 touring 14 runabout
MTFCA Number: 50718

Post by Art Ebeling » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:57 pm

My 1911 did the same until I tightened the firewall brackets to frame bolts and the rear body mount bolts. Art

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic