A quick pedal question..........

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
George Andreasen
First Name: George
Last Name: Andreasen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0...building from parts

A quick pedal question..........

Post by George Andreasen » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:22 pm

I just finished rebuilding my hog's head this evening. Looks nice.....new parts inside, auxiliary oiler fixture on and everything painted. I used the "O" ring trick on the pedal shafts also, so leaks should be minimal. I stood back to admire my work and noticed for the first time that the low speed pedal and brake pedal are at different heights. The reverse pedal is closer to the driver, which makes sense since no human being could get his foot between the other two......but aren't the low speed and brake supposed to be uniform? When both pedals are forward, against the cam surface (but not pushed) the brake pedal is farther forward.

I looked in a couple of my books and it looks like this may be normal......just not sure.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: A quick pedal question..........

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:30 pm

My car doesn't have a "quick" pedal.... :lol:

George, the low pedal is usually close to even with the brake when in neutral. When the hand brake is off, in high gear it's back a little farther.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:42 pm

What position is the parking brake lever? When you pull it back into either neutral or brake position the low pedal will go down into the neutral position. With the parking lever forward, the two pedals will be close to the same position. The important thing is that the pedals go all the way back. Sometimes the o rings will bind the shaft and the spring is not enough to push the pedal all the way back.
Norm

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:50 pm

George, repeated heavy use of the brake pedal over the years can result in it being bent, quite a bit at times. Judiciously applied heat will allow it to be pulled back so that it lines up again. Sorry about your nice paintwork! Or, you could ignore it, as long as you still have enough pedal travel without it bottoming out on the floorboards.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:12 pm

Seems your hogshead is good to go. Normally with fresh cams and pedals seated, the arrangement is like what you see. It can change some when you fit to the engine and hook up the clutch lever that will change the low pedal a bit.
359449.jpg
Line drawing by Ford, shows pedal heights.

649308.jpg
Side view of rebuilt hogshead
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
George Andreasen

Post by George Andreasen » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:56 am

Thanks for the replies everyone! I just gave the whole thing a good look-over and that brake pedal is DEFINITELY too far forward....almost 3"....and would hit the floor boards. As for the O rings, they're having very little affect on the pedals, just a tiny bit of resistance to let me know they're doing their job.

I'll pull it out this morning, put it in the vise and and "urge" it back with a little heat. And, I have LOTS of paint........... :lol:

DanTreace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring

Post by DanTreace » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:18 am

Here is another's photo with measure of the approx. distance for the brake pedal at full release (rearward). May want to check. The tape measure is metric.

359543.jpg
Converts to English approx. 6 3/4"
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford

Art Ebeling
First Name: Art
Last Name: Ebeling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 touring 14 runabout
MTFCA Number: 50718

Post by Art Ebeling » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:40 am

I think George got his answer and I don't want to hijack his thread, but I just noticed that my Reverse pedal is bent outward towards the left and the Clutch pedal is slightly bent inward. Should all the pedal arms line up parallel with each other? Art

DanTreace

Post by DanTreace » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:49 am

Yes.

From the lower bend of each pedal stem, the stem rises vertical to the pedal pad. If not, the upper stem will strike on the metal pedal plate slots on the floorboard, esp. when you press on the pedal pad and the pedal moves outward on the cam faces.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:42 pm

George

Since you have had this all apart, I think this bears mentioning: The brake/reverse pedal supports are different than the low pedal support. I have seen a couple of instances where someone put the wrong support in and it materially changed the location of the resting position of the pedal (not to mention performance/use problems). Check that the support installed on the brake pedal has the inclined cam or "ramp" matching the pedal cam, with little to no slop. It will be very obvious if it is right or wrong, once you lay your eyeballs on it.

If all is good, then it's time to bend, as folks have advised.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
George Andreasen

Post by George Andreasen » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:14 pm

Once again, thanks everyone.....

Scott, the pedal cams are all correctly installed, although to be honest your comment about "little to no slop" in the cam surfaces has me wondering. I does take a bit of forward motion before the pedals cam outward....but that amount of "slop" is very uniform.

Dan, thanks for the photo example. My brake pedal is forward considerably more than yours. Now all I have to do is buy a metric tape measure..... :lol:

Quick edit: I just measured the distance from the rear of the hog's head to the middle of the brake pedal.......8 1/2".......so there's definitely a bend involved. Funny thing is, the pedal looks normal which is why I didn't spot it until after assembly. No matter, we heat and bend!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic