Repo tail light

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Afrazer
First Name: David
Last Name: Frazer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 closed cab TT. 1925 factory roadster pickup. 1926 two door sedan
MTFCA Number: 52861

Repo tail light

Post by Afrazer » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:17 pm

Has anyone used the repo tail light with the stop light function that venders sell as just a tail light with out wiring for a stop light?
1925 closed cab TT
1925 factory roadster pickup
1926 two door sedan

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Repo tail light

Post by DanTreace » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:58 pm

Unsure which repro tail/stop lamp you desire. Perhaps the Model A style?

Should be easy enough to use as tail light only, as most have a single bulb for tail lamp/license light function, and another bulb for stop. Just don't wire up the second bulb.

Model A style tail/license/stop lamp
A13405DPL.jpg
A13405DPL.jpg (31.59 KiB) Viewed 4565 times
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Wayfarer
First Name: Cory
Last Name: Woerth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 engine on a stand, Canadian '23 center door
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:59 am

I bought the pair from Lang's, they arrived today. They are in fact, set up for tail and brake. They have a 6 volt dual filament bulb, and two wires coming out --- one for tail, and one for brake --- they are case grounded by the mounting stud.

Plan is to install this weekend, get the tail lights functional, run the wire for the brake lights. I don't have the brake light switch yet, so that's later.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:30 am

Not exactly sure what your concern is. But a tail light with two filament bulbs in it can be used for two functions (running light, brake light or turn signal). Now the plug that connects your wiring to the taillight needs to be a double contact plug. If yours is just a single contact plug you would need to replace the plug with a double contact one and just wire it to the contact for a running light. If you looking for some original 1919-25 tail light housings I have some drivers side. Driver side lights can be modified to cover the license plate opening (plate & bondo, paint) for passenger side use.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

DanTreace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring

Post by DanTreace » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:57 am

Appears the Lang's repro black metal cup, with red glass lens tail lamp is wired for a double contact bulb, i.e. that type bulb isn't grounded to the socket thru the bulb casing. One wire is hot the other is ground to illuminate the single filament bulb.

So to use it for both stop and tail, you would need a twin filament bulb and ground the bulb in the socket, run hot wires to both sides, for bright and dim. These bulbs are larger with larger glass globe bulbs and may not fit into the metal cup, might be too tall and keep from attaching the glass lens.

Don't know if anyone has done that, some lamp housings can't handle the taller twin filament tail/turn/stop bulbs.

Would be interesting to know.

2931437l.JPG
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford

Topic author
Afrazer
First Name: David
Last Name: Frazer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 closed cab TT. 1925 factory roadster pickup. 1926 two door sedan
MTFCA Number: 52861

Post by Afrazer » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:02 pm

The picture of the light I have is the one Dan posted and that’s what I was wondering if I would have to use both one to the rear taillight wire from the wire harness and have to use the other as a ground to make the dual filament bulb to work right
1925 closed cab TT
1925 factory roadster pickup
1926 two door sedan

DanTreace

Post by DanTreace » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:09 pm

Correction to my last post!

Just read on line Lang's, those lamps do come with small globe twin filament bulbs!

21-6 c.p. light bulb, double contact, 6 volt, (offset pins)

So the lamp body is grounded to chassis when mounted correctly, and both 21 power for brake light, or 6 power for tail lamp is easy.

Nice feature.

Just wire up to power which color wire you want for the bulb brightness, for tail lamp, the 6 c.p. side. You don't have to wire the other side, just tape it off.

fliverfan
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Chuplis

Post by fliverfan » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:10 pm

wayfarer wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:59 am
I bought the pair from Lang's, they arrived today. They are in fact, set up for tail and brake. They have a 6 volt dual filament bulb, and two wires coming out --- one for tail, and one for brake --- they are case grounded by the mounting stud.

Plan is to install this weekend, get the tail lights functional, run the wire for the brake lights. I don't have the brake light switch yet, so that's later.
It easier to run all the wires up to the front of the car at the same time. If the plan includes turn signals later, do not daisy chain the stop light filaments (the short ones), run an individual wire from each short filament, to the front. In either case, be sure to leave plenty of extra wire up front to deal with connecting the stop/turn later.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:54 pm

Does your bulb have offset pins or straight across as original. The reason I'm asking is I'm using an original 25-27 taillight, with a replacement style socket which is designed for straight across pins. I had to buy a special double filament bulb from Snyders, and file the offset pin off to work. I'm using a stock 26-7 stoplight switch mounted on the bendix cover, and everything works perfectly. If there is a 6v double filament bulb with straight across pins, I'd like to know about it.

fliverfan
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Chuplis

Post by fliverfan » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:29 pm

Original Smith wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:54 pm
If there is a 6v double filament bulb with straight across pins, I'd like to know about it.
https://www.modeltford.com/item/6-DC-TL.aspx

Wayfarer
First Name: Cory
Last Name: Woerth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 engine on a stand, Canadian '23 center door
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:42 pm

fliverfan wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:10 pm

It easier to run all the wires up to the front of the car at the same time. If the plan includes turn signals later, do not daisy chain the stop light filaments (the short ones), run an individual wire from each short filament, to the front. In either case, be sure to leave plenty of extra wire up front to deal with connecting the stop/turn later.
I do plan to add turn signals, but they will be a stand alone system with their own lamps, not using the brake light filaments, so they'll have their own wires

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic