Do the rear end, torque tube and radius rods need to be assembled vertically?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Do the rear end, torque tube and radius rods need to be assembled vertically?

Post by Mark Nunn » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:40 am

I’ve done all of the rebuilding work on my rear end with the housings set vertically into a notched slab of hickory that’s attached to my workbench. All of it has gone very well. Now it’s time for final assembly of the rear, torque tube and rods.

Here is my concern. I’m a scrawny old guy with two bum shoulders. Before doing teardown I managed to wrestle the rear assembly (without torque tube) into my fixture using a floor jack for extra lifting power and control. It was a mighty struggle. I’m afraid that if I do final assembly with the rear vertical, as the books show, I won’t be able to lift it out safely. One contributing problem is that my bench is 38” high plus the 1”-thick hickory on top. That is about 6”-10” higher than necessary but it’s what I have to work with.

Are there any concerns about using jack stands and assembling with the components horizontal? I have room behind my car to do that. At the moment I have the left housing and axle/diff assembled. I should be able to move that assembly to jack stands. I would appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Do the rear end, torque tube and radius rods need to be assembled vertically?

Post by DanTreace » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:51 am

No issues doing it that way. Actually easier to fit the radius rods as threaded ends go first into the tube , with nuts backed off to fit the yokes.

But assembly of the right hand axle housing will take care to keep thrusts and steel washers from falling with gravity, adding grease to surface can help. Just be cautious if the axle housings don’t meet as a washer or thrust could be out of place. Don’t tighten all the pumpkin bolts until you fit the pinion end of the torque tube with radius rods.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Re: Do the rear end, torque tube and radius rods need to be assembled vertically?

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:41 am

After bolting the axle housings together, I lay the assembly down on two jack stands and bolt on the radius rods and then the drive shaft assembly. It's much easier this way than doing it with the rear axle vertical. Just make sure you are holding the flange that holds the drive shaft in the transmission up around the ball when you attach the drive shaft assembly otherwise you'll have to take it back off again. I've done that a couple of times. :roll:

Stephen

Tim Rogers
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe & 1923 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by Tim Rogers » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:22 am

Here's how I did it:
20160515_082106.jpg
Attachments
20160515_095704.jpg
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:06 am

Being slightly "vertically challenged", here's my test assembly station - old steel milk bottle crate, some tubing and an adjustable collar for height to hold the torque tube. I use this for setting the r. & p. then after removing the d.s., assemble the other half on this set-up, remove by engine hoist or similar assisting device & set onto jack stands, re-assemble radius rods & torque tube/d.s. & set on to a rear axle dollie w/wheels to roll back under the T.
Attachments
rear end set-up.JPG

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:09 am

A good friend to persons of the elderly persuasion who lack the muscle we once had is the hydraulic lift. It's not just for engine removal. I bought mine at auction for about half of retail, but even at full price I'd consider it money well spent.

IMG_4909.JPG
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Scott C.
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Clements
MTFCA Number: 49592

Post by Scott C. » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:18 am

I did two of them this winter on my lift.
IMG_0548.jpg
IMG_0549.jpg
IMG_0552.jpg

Topic author
Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:01 pm

Thank you for the replies. I had considered using a hoist I made to go on the back of my tractor to lift the rear assembly and lay it down. I dismissed that idea since the tractor doesn't have the finesse that is required. I will assemble on jack stands.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic