What "Parts" would I need to install a starter on my 1915 Touring

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NorthSouth
First Name: Steve
Last Name: California
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1912 Warren Speedster
MTFCA Number: 50392

What "Parts" would I need to install a starter on my 1915 Touring

Post by NorthSouth » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:26 pm

-
Hello fellow Model T-ers,

I have been hand cranking my 1915 Touring for a full year now and think it's time to give it an electric starter.

I was hoping to compile a list of all necessary parts so that I may have them on hand before I ask someone to assist me with this effort.

Fortunately, during an engine rebuild, Larry Blair at The Tin Shed installed a Ring Gear on the flywheel and a Notched Double Stack Magneto Coil. The car runs beautifully on magneto so we can assume the flywheel magnets are appropriate for a starter.

I have already identified the following parts. Would anyone here be able to coach me on parts that will be needed that are NOT included in my list?

I would be most grateful for your help.

Steven

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starter Instal Parts List

1. Different Hogs Head that accommodates a starter.

2. Starter motor.

3. Bendex Gear for end of starter shaft.

3. 12 volt car battery.

4. Car battery mounting bracket for under the rear floorboards.

5. 12 volt alternator.

6. Alternator mounting bracket.

7. Starter/ alternator wiring harness.

8. Foot activated starter button.
Last edited by NorthSouth on Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Re: What "Parts" would I need to install a starter on my 1915 Touring

Post by Erik Barrett » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:40 pm

That’s pretty much everything. I’ll do this with you. Easily handled in a weekend. You supply the electrical parts, I have the rest. I’ll call when I have a moment to talk.

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:50 pm

You'll need a Bendix cover and the gasket & screws to go with it.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:53 pm

Steven,
By installing the ring gear and the notched coil ring you're ahead of the game. I have a 1917 and when I had the engine rebuilt I installed a starter although I took a little different approach.

You are correct about the hogshead, starter and bendix. Don't forget the cup that goes over the bendix end of the starter and a long screwdriver for installing the screws!

I chose to install a small yet powerful AGM battery under the rear seat. Remember, with 12 volts you don't need the heavy starter cable that a 6 volt installation requires. I went with #4 stranded cable which works fine. I chose not to install a generator or alternator. I plug the battery into an intelligent charger from time to time to keep it up and haven't had any problems. Rather than a foot button I went with a key switch and a solenoid. I didn't like the idea that somebody might accidentally step on the button at the wrong moment and cause some damage. I also chose to install LED lights in the headlights and modified the kerosene lamps to accept LEDs and well.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

HPetrino
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:54 pm

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:11 pm

The original starters for the Model T's were made to use 6 volt battery. So if you use 12 volts for the battery and alternator, you should have the starter wound for 12 volts. If you use a 6 volt starter with a 12 volt battery you risk damaging the bendix and possibly even bend the starter shaft. Some starter rebuilders will wind the starter for 12 volts. Or, you could use a 6 volt battery and a 6 generator if the engine is made for a generator. There is also instructions on another post how to charge a battery using the magneto.
Norm

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:21 pm

The pre-1919 engine is not built to accept a generator, but you can charge the battery off the magneto if you want.
http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG102.html
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Chris Instness
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Instness
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 runabout, 1923 speedster
MTFCA Number: 52552

Post by Chris Instness » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:35 pm

While the starter if off, it is a good time to install a modern seal(sold by most parts suppliers) on the starter shaft to avoid another oil drip. You will need to cut the shaft bushing, but it is a pretty quick and easy install.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:26 am

I agree with what others have stated, except I would opt for a 6 volt starter with no alternator/generator. I would rather keep everything 6 volt.

modeltbarn
First Name: Gary
Last Name: London
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring
MTFCA Number: 16592

Post by modeltbarn » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:48 pm

Steve!

Give me a call over the weekend. I installed one on my 1911 and the drill is the same..... You’ve got my contact info in the upcoming tour stuff!
Last edited by modeltbarn on Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Henry K. Lee
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:43 am

If you wanted to add a generator to a non electric block, I have three of these available. Just bolts on.

IMG_3078.jpeg
IMG_3079.jpeg
IMG_2441.jpeg

Hope this Helps,

Hank

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:41 pm

I am in the keep it 6 volt and don't bother with a charging system for the battery. An Optima 6 volt battery can be laid on its side under the back seat and easily be fixed in place in its own little wooden box. just put it on a smart charger whenever the car is idle.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Aarongriffey
First Name: Aaron
Last Name: Griffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 touring

Post by Aarongriffey » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:51 pm

I have converted one 1915 touring to a starter.I put a 6 volt gelcell battery under the front seat at the driver’s side end of the gas tank.
We never found a generator was needed, although the car already had a lantern battery under the rear seat for the stop light.
The most time was spent getting the clearance right for the flywheel with the new starter ring gear.

George Hand
First Name: George
Last Name: Hand
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 open express, 1920 touring, 1926 tudor-lisenced and insured, 1921tt project 1922 fendered chassis, 192x tt dootle bug 192xengine w/winch projects
MTFCA Number: 28114
MTFCI Number: 21834

Post by George Hand » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:23 pm

The first thing I would reconsider is placement of any battery under the front seat, the model T requires a vented gas cap, I will not mix a possible ign. (spark) source with gasoline fumes. I see you have a battery holder on your parts list, others have suggested the battery under seat option for me wrong choice. Second if you go 12volt. purchase a new or rewound field coil for the starter take the starter case to a starter-generator shop and have them split the new field coil & add a jumper wire to change the coil from series to parallel circuit. That will slow down the starter to prevent slamming the Bendix into the ring gear, a new front bushing should be installed to replace the Babbitt version. Also if your 15 still uses magneto headlamps I would rewire them changing the circuit from series to parallel and put in 12volt bulbs. The little pickup I bought here in Florida does not have a working flywheel magneto and the previous owner just installed a 12 volt battery, It did not have a working generator and I replaced that with a alternator also changing the coil box and adding a switch panel and higher rated ammeter. If you do not have a later generator engine block some vendors offer a generator/alternator external mounting bracket. I have added turn signals to this truck and a stop lamp. Of my 3 t's in New York two are 6 volt electric start with the Ford generator, the third is a straight hand crank start with a 12 v. battery in a wooden box on a running board that I recharge once in a while. I am sorry this is so long, but I hope I have given you a different view on some of your items on the electric system of a T. George Hand

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic