Gas life span

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
HalSched
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Schedler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 23 RA, 25 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 16688
MTFCI Number: 19356
Board Member Since: 2005

Gas life span

Post by HalSched » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:48 pm

I have not driven my T speedster for about 10 months. Should I drain the tank and instal new gas before I start it again? We are locked down here in Sacramento and I'm going to work (play) with my Model T's to give keep me from going nuts.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: Gas life span

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:03 pm

If it runs, fine, if not, the damage might have already occurred. My experience is that the fuel gets like varnish and clogs up the carburetor and the fuel line. So if the fuel is too old it won't run. Also, it might help to put in some fresh gas to dilute the existing gas, but if it will not run, then you might have to clean out the tank and replace the fuel line and clean the carburetor.
Norm

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:02 pm

Is it regular pump gas or clear (non-ethanol) ? If it's regular pump gas, I'd drain it and add fresh.

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:16 pm

Full strength? 90 days. You're better off draining it no matter what.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:18 pm

Drain it and use it for washing parts. :o
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:21 pm

RajoRacer wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:02 pm
Is it regular pump gas or clear (non-ethanol) ? If it's regular pump gas, I'd drain it and add fresh.
Agreed. Drain it and start with fresh, hopefully there is not a lot to drain out. If you are a more "frugal" individual like my neighbor, work it back in to a tank of fresh gas a little at a time. I don't recommend it but it works for him.
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

noelchico
First Name: Noel
Last Name: Chicoine
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 roadster, 1923 Touring, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 25420
MTFCI Number: 22686

Post by noelchico » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:25 pm

I've run mine after sitting all winter, so I doubt a few more months will make a difference. I'd add more to it if you only have half a tank, then drain the float bowl and run it. Alternatively, mix it 25/75 with fresh gas. I find it too risky to use for much cleaning unless outside in well ventilated area. JMHO

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:12 am

Hey Hal, Gotta love this Califunny gas. I have had it go bad in a few months. On the other hand? I want to tell you about my broken (Ford) Eggs-pedition. The thing quit running almost a year and a half ago. Naturally, just after putting in a half a tankful of gasoline. Too expensive to pay someone to fix it, and I figure I can fix it myself if I can get the time in on it. So, I non-op it, and it sits. One thing and another I simply can't get to it, and there it sat with more than a half a tankful of gasoline, until all of our wonderful PG&E power shutdowns last fall. I had worked on getting into the problem (a failed fuel pump INSIDE the gasoline tank). I was almost to it, when I need to run the generator for several hours per day to keep the refrigerator cold and a few other things operating. I am at the top of the tank, and need to open it and clean it out as part of the repair, so in I go.
The gasoline that had been sitting for just short of a year, looks as clean and clear as a fresh mountain stream of freshly melted snow! That half a tank of gasoline kept my generator running for most of a week! No apparent problems whatsoever.

So, sometimes, gasoline sitting in less than ideal conditions, does last just fine.

Regardless. I would drain the T's tank, put about four gallons of freshly bought medium grade gasoline in it. Before trying to start it, I would drain about a quart out of the carburetor bowl just to make sure the fuel line was clean enough and flowing well. If it did not flow really well? Clean and blow out the line! After flowing well then try to start it. If it starts and runs okay, warms up fine? You should be good to go.

The model T is quite forgiving. If the gasoline doesn't appear to have spoiled? It would probably be fine to mix about one gallon in per tank full. On the other hand, if there is any sign of cloudiness or floaters in the gasoline? It makes a good weed killer.

By the way. The new fuel pump is due to be delivered Wednesday. Now I just have to find a couple hours to put it all back together.

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Sta-Bil gas treatment

Post by Novice » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:41 am

When they started putting ethanol in gasoline that's when the trouble started with fuel going bad in as little as three months. I now use sta-bil fuel stabilizer in all my gas engine fuel. Model T, lawn mowers, power generator. any thing that is not used on a regular basic and sits for long periods of time over the winter or long storage. works well last up to 24 months. depending on the type sat-bil You buy. I Have not had a gummed up gas tank or fowled carburetor since I started using it years ago. learned the hard way gummed up a few gas tanks and ruined a few carburetors before I wised up.

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Post by Joe Bell » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:17 am

If you are going to leave one set, go out and get some aviation gas, run it so it is in the lines and if it is a vented system it will evaporate and now you have a clean system in stead of shellac coated. Some one told me this as a young man and has worked on all my toys since, it is the only fuel that is regulated, how many aircraft set for a while and then take to the air!

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:00 pm

I agree with Joe Bell, but if you can't find Aviation fuel, then the Sta-bil route is the way to go. But as he said, get the
right "version"...if I recall (I should, I use it all the time) it says "Storeage" on the bottle. I do think there's one for
"routine" useage, as in it may only sit a short while as opposed to maybe a half a year up to 2 years. I also "add a bit more"
than recommended, I fall in that trap if this much is good, that much more is better!! Ha ha. Anyway, it works!!

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:54 pm

I use Star-tron instead of Sta-bil. No proof that one is better than the other.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:40 pm

I just ran my rototiller on the gas that has been sitting in from last spring, granted I did prime thru the intake and ran the choke part way closed but ran fine.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:56 am

HalSched wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:48 pm
I have not driven my T speedster for about 10 months. Should I drain the tank and instal new gas before I start it again? We are locked down here in Sacramento and I'm going to work (play) with my Model T's to give keep me from going nuts.
What is the present value of the gas in the tank and is it worth saving? In any case there is a reasonable chance that some water or other stuff has settled in the bottom of the tank in the last 10 months or since the last time you cleaned the sediment out of it. Since you are in lock-down I would drain about a pint from the tank and whatever you can from the fuel line into a clear glass container and let it settle for an hour or so. You can then look at it and decide if you want to use what's in the tank.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Post by Joe Bell » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:18 am

Years ago I bought a motor home that had set for ten years, I should of known better to try to start it with that fuel, I got it to run and it smelled like varnish after I shut it down went to restart it and heard one heck of a noise. It had cooled long enough that all the valves had stuck and bent all the pushrods. The cylinder heads looked like candy apple coating all around the valves. Boy was that a pain in my ass from inside to out side how many trips to fix it and you sure know the fuel got dumped then!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic