How to Install 27 Front Floorboards

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DontKnowMuch
First Name: James
Last Name: Sanford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Touring, 26 Roadster, 27 Roadster

How to Install 27 Front Floorboards

Post by DontKnowMuch » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:18 pm

I have a 1927 Roadster with original floorboards and the draft deflector. It also has a Ruckstell with the shift lever in the middle. I found it difficult to install the top board with the draft deflector behind the pedals. I also have to bend the hand brake lever toward the middle to get that floorboard to fit over the Ruckstell shift lever and hand brake lever at the same time.

Do you have a method for installing the floorboards that makes it easy to get them in place? What order do you put yours in place?

Which end of the side hold down clips goes over the floorboards?

Thanks for any advice.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Re: How to Install 27 Front Floorboards

Post by CudaMan » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:27 pm

I have my brake lever bent over to the left on my 1924 for more foot room. This made it impossible to get the rear floor board up past both the brake lever and my center Ruckstell shifter. I ended up cutting a notch out of the brake lever slot and re-attaching it with screws and a sheet metal plate so that I can remove that section and expose the notch when I want to pull up the floor board.
Attachments
IMG_4217.JPG
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Re: How to Install 27 Front Floorboards

Post by John Codman » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:39 pm

As I recall, I install the flat floorboard first, then the under-pedal board, and finally the over-pedal board. My '27 is a touring car, but both Snyder's and Lang's list the same floorboards for "open cars." I have had no real problems installing the board with the deflector, but there is only one position that will work. I kind of roll it around the top of the pedals. I can't help you with the clips - my floorboards are held down by gravity, the floormat, and human feet. I wouldn't bother with the clips even if I had them unless I was going to tow it on an open trailer at a speed above about 50mph. I have heard several stories about folks having to walk back to retrieve departed boards when they were towing on the highway. My solution for this was to purchase an enclosed trailer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic