Ebay and Corona Virus

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Marty Bufalini
First Name: Marty
Last Name: Bufalini
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring

Ebay and Corona Virus

Post by Marty Bufalini » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:39 pm

Is anyone concerned about purchasing anything from Ebay in these times/

Like you, I've got a ton of time on my hands and lots of stuff to list but I'm wondering if anyone is buying because of this pandemic?

By the way, how are you holding up?

Thanks

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: Ebay and Corona Virus

Post by Henry K. Lee » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:48 pm

All good here Marty and still buying as required. I do not see any issues as most people I buy from are 100% feedback. I believe they being cautious and appreciate the business.

Hank

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:50 pm

If shipping takes longer than a couple of days, any virus on the part or wrapping will have degraded by the time it reaches you.

Now, if your delivery carrier unknowingly carries the virus and coughs on your package, all bets are off. :O
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

W Austen
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Austen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915

Post by W Austen » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:19 pm

An eBay supplier that I get light bulbs from in China sent me a message saying all shipments are on hold by the postal service. And please don't blame ebay.

Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:34 pm

I do not see sales slowing down at all (look at the classifieds here on the forum). I have bought plenty in the last 2 weeks with one major change/precaution, any package that has been delivered is taken and sits out back for 1-2 days (handled with gloves of course). Makes me feel safer about touching and opening the package.

74754098.cms.jpg
74754098.cms.jpg (21.49 KiB) Viewed 4612 times

Anything being taken to the Post Office has a pre-printed label and is just dropped off for me, or you can schedule a pick-up at your location. Depending on how concerned you are you can always wipe down and disinfect the package and item. My 1 gallon of Barbicide concentrate that came in a box lot at an auction has finally been put to use. You remember, the blue stuff from the barbershop and "upscale" men's restrooms.
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:43 pm

A package of items bought on ebay from a Chinese seller arrived last week. Even though we have been reassured that there is little to worry about with mailed packages, I still sprayed the package with Lysol. When I opened the package, I sprayed the inside of he package with Lysol, then sprayed the parts themselves. May be overkill, but it made me and my wife feel better. Jim Patrick

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:05 pm

BE AWARE! It doesn't matter where the package come from China, New York City, Idaho!!!! Put it in your head that many hands have touched it and even your local letter carrier may have caught the virus. If you live in a densely populated area (virus cases or not ) spray the package (let it dry) and wash you hands. If you live in an area with NO cases you can be less cautious at your own discretion and risk.

DIY wipes https://oneessentialcommunity.com/homem ... ting-wipes
DIY hand sanitizer To make hand sanitizer, you need 70% Isopropyl alcohol or higher, known as rubbing alcohol, aloe vera gel, a bowl, a spoon, a funnel, and either a spray bottle or liquid soap container.

The first step is pouring ⅔ cup of alcohol and ⅓ cup aloe vera, which will make the sanitizer easier to apply, into the bowl and mixing well. Once the mixture is blended, you can use the funnel to pour the mixture into containers. If you want to mask the scent of alcohol, you can add 5 to 10 drops of essential oil such as lavender, according to the mixtur
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Ebay and Corona Virus - You need "Informed Delivery"

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:35 pm

I am going to make a suggestion to everyone: get "Informed Delivery" from the Post Office. You will register YOUR address and email account with them and every day you will receive an email with a PICTURE of all of your mail. You will also receive notification of delivery of any packages.

ANYONE can register your mailbox and view it's contents if you do NOT register your OWN address first. Nice way to monitor the neighbor for their Checks or Credit Card bills with important credit info, no? If you do NOT register your address first, you are begging to be a target for a bad guy.

With Informed Delivery, I can choose to not drive 2 miles to get to my mailbox if I don't need to, and when I do need to it gets carefully removed and then sits in "isolation" for several days. It is foolish to listen to experts give scientific data as to how long a virus lasts on materials, including paper, and then say "but the mail is perfectly safe". For me, the mail is perfectly safe about 3 days after people have quit handling it.

Get Informed Delivery
Get Informed Delivery
Get Informed Delivery

All the reasons to get it are good ones, and it is free.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:45 pm

Scott, ditto on Informed Delivery! I've had that for a long time now. It's great, especially if you're
expecting something important other than all the junk mail.

Today I did the "Click-n-Ship" prepaid label thing, have the mail lady (I'm rural) pick it up outside my
garage tomorrow. No risk of catching something on the post office door or counter! Very handy.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:31 pm

You can also order shipping boxes from USPS for FREE and have them shipped to you for FREE.
There are four major types of Priority Mail boxes available each has its own weight restrictions and postage price.
Flat Rate Boxes & envelopes are good for up to 70 lbs and most shipping cost. NOTE the Padded envelope -you can put a box inside it to protect your items and still ship at the envelope rate. These are usually the only ones available at your post office.
Regional Boxes whose postage is regulated by zone (from your area to the other) Type A is good for 15lbs or less and B type 20 lbs or less. Being in the Midwest I find these to provide the lowest shipping cost.
Mailing Box shipping charges are based on weight and size and are allowed to be modified (put together or cut down) to minimize the size needed.
You can always use your own box for Priority Mail but usually cheaper to use theirs.
https://store.usps.com/store/results/fr ... 8v?Nrpp=18
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:49 pm

We have used informed delivery for a couple years now. It is handy, especially with incoming packages to be left in the package lockers a quarter mile from our house! In our area, there is a lot of trouble with mail delivery. The "post office" doesn't do a lot of the delivery, local contractors do. The contractors often (OFTEN!!) mis-deliver to any one of sixty neighbors' boxes. In addition to that, postal theft in the county is rampant. If something important is to be delivered? It is wise to get it sooner rather than later to avoid possible loss. It is also better to know sooner rather than later that it has gone astray if it does. I manged to locate and retrieve something my wife ordered about a year ago because after being notified it was delivered, it wasn't there. We ended up with something belonging to a neighbor (I took it to them and told them what had happened), and the local Post Office located the delivery contractor and she came back and found ours.
Unfortunately, incompetence is as incompetence does. The "informed delivery" system has screwed up several times. But the good thing is you still get to find out more quickly.
All in all, however, I do recommend the informed delivery. Especially with the current situations.

Aarongriffey
First Name: Aaron
Last Name: Griffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 touring

Post by Aarongriffey » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:58 pm

When this first happened I heard a scientist say the virus can last three weeks in the refrigerator.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:14 pm

At least I can go back to popping bubble wrap made in china now! :D

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:42 am

In the pharmacy we always sprayed the counter tops and the counting trays with 70% alcohol. Do not use the 91% alcohol. The 70% alcohol with penetrate the cell walls of the virus better than the 91%.

If mixing aloe vera with the alcohol, use the 91% so your solution becomes about 70%.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic